1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot water burns at McDonalds part duh

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by L8 Braker, Oct 10, 2018.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Where is the deflection?

Venon ordered “hot” and received superheated. That is the basic question, how hot is too hot to be served coffee thru a drive thru window. Venom thinks coffee that created burns in which required skin grafts is acceptable. The jury disagreed and McDonalds had to pay as it was their written policy. Funny they didn’t appeal nor agreed to settle for the $20k in the beginning, (final award was only $640k not the millions)

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No no dumbass...Venom didn't bring up superheated water...that was your bullshit hypothetical that brought that into the discussion. But you are correct...I wouldn't have given the first dumbass a nickel either.

crashman likes this.
  3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Before calling people dumbass, you might want to go back and research superheated coffee.

4. Venom51

No need.

5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I got a cup of coffee from McD yesterday that was BARELY warm. I mean the shit was honestly about like as if it had been set outside in the sun for 3 hrs. If this shit going down means McD is going to sell super unheated coffee from now on there's gonna be some shit!

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

So I am still confused by why you think Venom hypothetically ordering hot and receiving superheated that blows up in his face is even remotely similar to someone ordering hot, receiving hot and clumsily dumping hot liquid in their lap. Since ideal coffee brewing temp is around 204 degrees anyone with even 1/2 of a clue would anticipate that the coffee would be hot enough to cause burns...
    And McD paid out because they had lost in the court of public opinion and it probably saved them legal expenses. The bleeding heart jury ruled in favor of the little old lady against big bad McDonalds bases on emotion. Hardly proof that McD was in the wrong...

7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

A jury finding of guilty is the definition of legal proof. Just sayin'.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Legal poof.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with brewing coffee but serving coffee. Yes, people should understand coffee is hot but accidents happen. Did you buy the coffee to drink or let sit for five/ten minutes to cool down. McD's had a policy to serve it above the temp (180) that is considered normal and paid. It was at such a temp that it required weeks of hospitalization and skin grafts. Even at 140 it could cause 3rd deg burns when exposed for 6 secs.
    Code:
    http://www.accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.html
    Being clumsy or that the cup holders of the day were 1/8" ridges in the glove box lid have nothing to do with the lawsuit. But think about how cupholders have changed since. Ford may have dodged a bullet.

What I think is funny is this lawsuit is the poster child for showing how the media skewed the "news" and the people that post after having taken hook/line and sinker.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Still going with it's impossible?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes there is, but there isn't a 70 degree drop in temp between the two.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I never said 140 was a good serving temp. I actually checked mine yesterday and it was 160. This is coming from a french press and heated thermos which would be one of the coolest methods.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So since you're the expert - what is the proper serving temperature for coffee?

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

160°? Holy shit how did you not end up in the hospital with 3rd degree burns?!?!?!?!?! Oh yeah, you handled a hot liquid in the manner in which it should have been because you're not an idiot (although, the manner in which are you trying to argue this case is pushing you in that direction).

15. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

It would be a wild ass guess on my part but the from the graph it not linear, 5 degs in temp does not cause 5 deg more damage. 160 is perfect for me.

16. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint, but I have spilt liquids before in my time. I am sure so have you.

17. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Of course, all the time. Want to take a guess at who I blame for that?

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Burger King?

brex and Boman Forklift like this.
  19. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Ourselves and agree with that we should take responsibility for our actions, so what is your point? Shouldn't McD's also take responsibility by going outside the coffee brewers recommendations for serving coffee.

"The temperature of the water was 190 degrees or so, and the franchise documents required that of the franchisee,” said Kenneth Wagner, an Albuquerque lawyer who represented Liebeck. Most home coffee makers produce coffee that is between 135 and 150 degrees, he added.

Coffee that other restaurants serve at 160 degrees can also cause third-degree burns, but it takes 20 seconds, which usually gives the person enough time to wipe away the coffee before that happens."

20. Venom51

Pretty much. Go brew a pot. Pour some in a glass cup and knock yourself out....

Come back when you get it to work....maybe the beeb will still be here.