1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Awwwe ... my first name change. And it’s over poop. :crackup:

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I thought we would stay on topic. :D

You WILL respect Shakira! :mad:

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I think it will be a long time before commercial aviation is fully automated. The FAA is very conservative when it comes to big advances in technology.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth
    You should see the old shit we try to keep alive for them
    Obsolete parts is a big deal and often have to do lifetime buys to keep the program supportable

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

At least it did not last long.

Funkm05 likes this.
  6. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

I know a pretty good HVAC trade school in Tampa

JCP636 likes this.
  7. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

Let me know when you guys get in the $40 range I would move there!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

By then, you will want $50. LOL.

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Not in the same boat but hoping my line of work last me a while. I am a telecom tech. I take care of big phone systems and vm systems in downtown Chicago. Been doing this type of work for 23 years and been in Local IBEW for 20 years. Even though a lot of places are going from land lines to VOIP I still have a lot of work. The site I am at has 1300 users so they always need something. I get paid well and work 40 hours a week with some overtime. Problem is companies are going to softphones like Skype for business so it kinda phases out the need for a telecom tech. I have been keep an eye out for jobs in the area and also down south just incase I do get laid off. If worst comes to worst I guess I could change trades.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Switch over to wiring networks, a lot fo the same tools and wires :D

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

They will be back after they experience what a gigantic pile of shit Skype for Business is.

12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yeah I see some of the users coming back to the Avaya VOIP. Some of the 1300 users have converted (200) but not everyone is happy. So thats what I am hoping for.

13. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I'm glad to hear an attorney is not hung up on money.

Still legal stuff but if your bachelor's degree, before law school, was a BS you could become a patient attorney. I'm sure you know that but it seems interesting and it's a way to run your own small practice without always dealing with divorce, traffic court, injury cases etc.

Maybe just go back to school long enough to get a BS. Maybe it would not take long on top of whatever bachelors you already have.

I'm an Engineer and studied for the exam to become a Patent Agent. I stopped the pursuit when it became apparent the job requires almost all desk work. I like the hands on part of Engineering and do not want to give it up. I do not necessarily recommend Engineering as a career though because it seems really good Engineering jobs at top pay are becoming less common. My latest assignment is very good but it took some very specific experience to be even considered. Also so many companies appear to be profit only driven. This puts Engineers in a spot that make important decisions very difficult.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My friend from high school has an older brother that is a patent attorney in Houston. I thought he said he was pulling down over 1 million a year.

15. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

Or me if you prefer flight attendant over pilot. Bet the airlines would like your former law background . Good luck in whatever you decide

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine has been in this exact position several times now. He usually moves to another company and the same thing happens. I feel for the guy because he is a true hard worker (not many of those around anymore) and takes the time to learn the business. Hasn't paid off for him yet.

17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I went through this during my first career change in the 90's. But I was younger then so sacrificing a few years didn't mean much to me as it would have at 33.

The flying business is a good one, you can probably have a decent job in about 2 years. You need to get over the 1500 hour hurdle put in place after the Buffalo crash (Colgan Air). If you have a clean criminal record, no DUI, and a 4 year degree, you can advance rapidly after that. Things are moving faster now in this industry than they ever have before, except maybe after deregulation in the 70's.

You can get your commercial license in 6 months (250 hours). From there to the 1500 hour mark is the tough part. Once you're there, you can get a regional job pretty quickly. A year of that and you will have your choice of where to go to get to about the 4-5000 hour mark. That is the second hurdle, to places like Delta, United, Southwest. Once you get a job in the big leagues, you will be in a great position.

After a little seasoning at a regional, you have your choice of carriers like Allegiant or Spirit that are having a hard time filling seats right now. about $90k in 2 years. Your other choice would be contract work, mostly Asia or Africa. Lots of contracts where you make good cash, no taxes, but you're going to be over there a minimum of 2 months at a time.

The thing about flying is, you have to love it in order to be happy in it as a career. Because there are going to be times when it really sucks, and if you don't have a love of it to begin with, it's going to be hard to stay the course. Even now, I'm almost 20 years in and I have the best schedule I've had in my career, There are times when it sucks. Then again, we aren't exactly digging ditches. Best of luck, feel free to PM if you want.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i feel like half of it is the job/place, half is you. i always worked hard in my mid 20's and all, but i always felt like i was the low man on the ladder and just kept my mouth shut and let others talk and "stayed in my place", like a good little financial gopher for my manager and director. instead, this job allowed me to assert myself, and i took that and ran with it. part of that was confidence with experience now, but part of it was just like, "i'm sick of listening to these idiots all the time, i have ideas." so now... i run my mouth a bunch (you may have noticed me here) and i back it up with being a go-getter and chasing shit down and piping up when i know something to be a certain thing no matter the level of the people in the room. mid-20's would see the CFO or some VP and be like, "yes sir, right away sir, thank you sir." mid-30's me is like, "actually... here's where that's wrong and here's what you can do about it." they respect it, and they know they can count on you, then it works. strong dudes respect the pushback... dudes who retreat into themselves just get abused and eaten alive is what i've noticed.

one thing that stuck with me from my current VP... execs want a problem AND a solution, they don't have time for or just want to hear you bitch. so i never go into the dudes office with just a problem, i give him a problem and tell him how i want to fix it... and for maybe political reasons or something i don't know, let him tell me why it will or won't work.

badmoon692008 and Gino230 like this.
  19. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Not enough people understand this

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I know exactly what the OP is feeling. I've been a member of the Bar for 20 years and not a week has gone by without me thinking about changing jobs. Started in civil litigation but genuinely disliked it and it drove me nuts. Then went temporary in house in a major bank and liked the more relaxed and constructive atmosphere, altough I disliked the asshole bankers themselves. When my contract ended, I was hired as General Counsel for a medium sized brokerage firm. Pay was crappy but I gained a ton of valuable knowledge. Many years later, when they got bought off by a major broker, I was in an excellent position to promote myself because of the extensive experience I acquired on the field and negotiated a decent salary. It's not a lot, but it's sufficient for my family and me to live very comfortably. I'm now, for the first time in my career, happy as DaveK whipping 'Toe in the face with a Slim Jim. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.