1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Any word on automation taking over? I mean, there’s autopilots now, but are we looking into a higher level at some point?

I’ve always been intrigued to consider a helicopter gig but with drones etc on the rise, not sure about a job market perspective there

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I heard Warren Buffett didn't start doing well and making money until his 50s?

Now a days, without pensions and increased longevity, it seems people will be working longer. My dad retired from Caterpillar at 52, I probably won' retire until I'm in my 70s, so early 40s you could easily have a 30 year career in another field.

Steeltoe likes this.
  3. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Not necessarily true. If you're a yes man, at a yes man corporation, then sure. At my place, me and 3 otger guys basically run the entire Capital program of $7b. Technically we're finance, so we don't execute on actual projects, but half the PMs are overpaid drones literally just waiting for somebody higher to tell them what to do, and the PMO office is a joke, so we stepped in and took that role. Forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, coordinating cross department efforts, compliance, spending oversight...

I meet with PMs monthly, and its to the point where I'm suggesting plans of attack for their projects as they tell me about hurdles and delays. We started off wanting to know every minute detail so we could forecast the program and juggle money around to maximize trying to get stuff done, but now we know so much about the work that i can get into strategy. Another side... we are a financial check for all new purchases/contracts on a project to make sure federal grant guidelines are being followed, the purchase is within the scope of the project, the rates for things aren't outlandish, the estimate ties out to the PO, etc... well by default you get into all the inner workings. I do really enjoy it.

And... on a side benefit, money is always the ultimate trump card and we control all the money, so i can demand info of people and they jump. Part of this is because i hustle to help them because i want their projects to suceed so we have good relationships. But still part of it is "i'll cut your fucking money off if you can't justify this thing to me." So i rarely get unreplied emails or ducked phone calls. I walk into director's offices at will, i pipe up in executive meetings when all the project dudes are getting scolded and sit there like guilty children, the 2nd in the company comes to me directly cause he knows i'm reliable. At the end of the day, i want them to suceed and do well, not be a hinderance road block, so i make sure to emphasize that, but it also forces them to have plans prepared and ducks in a row. Where before our team formed, i gathered people just asked for millions of dollars without even a statement of work. Its a cool gig and definitely boosted a whole different side of my skillset.

Before this job, i was a number cruncher budget analyst type for 5-6 years. And it was easy and boring mostly. It gets routine and if the place runs well with good systems, there's little fires to put out. I realized though i had managers resigned to keep me from growing to solidify their station, or, there simply wasn't a need for me to take on more. This one, my marching orders were, "do whatever you want to get the job done, if you overstep too far, i'll fix it." So my VP basically gave me a green light to just be a hurricane on people and help fix our problems and get shit done.

I dunno where i go next... was thinking maybe strategic consulting, but just wanted to show there's more than one path from bean counter if your son has the personality for it and the opportunity arises.

Phl218 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. Boman Forklift

I always joke around with bean counters, and know they do other stuff.

You actually sound like the perfect candidate to have your own business or step into a general manager, CEO, VP of Operations role at a company.

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That resonates with me also. Younger me made some not so great educational choices. But it's never too late to drop down a gear and change lanes.....

I've been in automotive manufacturing for 14 years. Mechanical designer, CNC programmer, machinist/toolmaker, CMM Programmer/Inspector, but it's time to change gears. I'm getting majorly burned out. Not sure I want to stay in this field or try something completely different. Maybe a different trade, HVAC, Plumber or Electrician. Thought about being a Pilot also but my past would be a major hurdle for me to overcome from what I hear. I basically put in the minimum effort required to pass all throughout high school, and that translated into even poorer results in college ending in a partially completed diploma, and terrible grades. My past transcript doesn't reflect my current work ethic, but I don't have the time, or financial means to attempt to correct it now. It's not so much of a roadblock for the trades though. I am currently working on getting my red seal trade cert for toolmaker, and after that general machinist. I have enough hours and experience to write for both tickets. Once I get those it's decision making time.

They say the average person has 2-4 careers in their lifetime. You only get one trip around, so there's no point in doing something that makes you miserable your whole life.

t500racer and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I’d say, something that has 6 figure potential within 2 years. But I’d settle for less if it was something that was really fun and I enjoyed doing. I’d be a motorcycle racer for like $35k...

Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Bullshit. Shakira doesn't poop. Don't argue if you value your time on the BBS.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea well... that's a small road that lots of dickheads are trying to crawl over each other for. who knows i guess though.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

CNC programming translates very well to PLC design/programming. Lots of opportunities there, especially with the latest surge in automation in traditionally low wage service industry jobs.

Traditional trades roles are abundant and TBH a candidate with real world experience and a proven track record of showing up to work will have no problem ascending through to a decent pay with even more upward mobility.

The_R1_Kid and jtc89 like this.
  10. Girls don't poop.

11. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Beating on rocks aint so bad. 3 month layoffs......when it rains or snows or too cold you don't work..... automatic wk off for Christmas.

Work about 8 months a year and still pull 6 figures.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Motorcycle racer. Seems to be working fine for Rossi and he's older than you :)

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I took a mechanical engineering technician program in college, and shared a lot of classes with the mechtronics folks. Always wished I got into that instead. Never did get to play around with any of that stuff aside from changing out some relays, and solenoid air valves on some CNC machines. Wife got me an arduino for Christmas and while it's been kinda fun learning and playing with it that's like comparing a zuma to a motogp bike.

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

You’re right. She prolly doesn’t. “Poop” probably doesn’t even begin to describe the eruption that occurs given the combo of Spanish cuisine and hip-shaking she does. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  15. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Lineman! I made the move nine years ago when I was 33. Great pay and plenty of work. It's a fun trade, I'm constantly doing different things. I work for a municipality. Great benefits, paid training, pension, and we have a 4X10 week. We usually work in our own system, but sometimes get to go away during storms for mutual aid. I've been to ME and NH a few times, and help out other utilities in MA on occasion. This year I got to go to FL for a couple weeks, and then to St Thomas for a few weeks, for power restoration after the hurricane. For someone with not much schooling, I've been able to make a good living. Some of our new guys (a little over one year in the trade) were able to come close to hitting 100k this year. That's with one 3 week storm trip and a little OT here and there.

I worked as an electrician for 15 years prior to this, and I still get to do it on the side about 35-50 days a year. I think plumber or electrician are also good choices. It's tough to come anywhere close to hitting 100k in the first few years without working a million hours a week. They're licensed trades which also means some code classes and putting in 4-5 years in the trade before you can take the test. Not a bad thing, but something to factor in.

16. Boman Forklift

You and 99.9 % of the racers in America would like that, including MotoAmerica guys.

JCP636 likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't talk to poop. :moon:

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

There are thousands of jobs like this but as soon as you say hard work, elements, travel, put in your time, to most people they run for the hills. My brother works for the railroad. He did several years of road work, leaving on Sunday, driving to some distant work site, busting his ass for 60-80 hours in the heat and cold, then driving home to spend one day with his family and repeat. It sucked but he made good money and eventually got enough seniority to get a local job with even higher pay. He’s making six figures easy with just some basic post hs trade education.

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yeah, before my current gig I was VP of Strategic Planning and Analysis at a larger company - basically everything you described above. I've been lucky enough (with some sprinkling of hard work and intelligence) to get to a CFO spot without going the accounting route, but it would've been quicker and easier to go that route.

My real core strengths are analysis and business intelligence (which I ran at my old place and run at my new place) - I just happen to have a finance background which allows me to be a CFO.

Sweatypants and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Yea... That would actually be like a $60k swing considering what I spend on it every year. God forbid I start trying some MA rounds...