1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I don’t post much here but I’m always impressed by the breadth of knowledge here, so I figured it might be a good question to ask.

Some background info: The company I’m with is going through some changes that I’m not happy with, and I’m pretty much at the highest level I can go with the company or in the industry. I used to love my job, but some sweeping changes and firings have really changed it for me. I’m in the the operations department of a gig economy company. I directly manage 30 employees, thousands of independent contractors, and 53 different markets. I also had a previous career as a criminal defense attorney.

I have some money saved up and am looking into other career options. I’ve thought about opening a bar/restaurant and have some experience in that area, but it’s a fickle industry with a high failure rate and long hours. I thought about becoming a pilot, but I don’t feel great about going back to school and spending a ton of money on it. (I still owe 6 figures in law school loans) I’m 33 with no wife or kids, so I have a ton of flexibility, willing to relocate.

So basically, my question is, what am I not thinking of? What are some good career options out there?

2. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Cemetery operator.

People are dying to get in.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You're a lawyer? Still in good standing?

4. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Yes, not interested in getting involved in the legal field again though.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I was going to say a different area of law but if you're not digging it, then no point.

I have a buddy that has his doctorate in Anthropology (or maybe it's archeology) and he eliminated himself from doing the parts he wanted by getting the doctorate. Anyways, he makes very high end custom wood furniture. He loves it and makes some good bucks doing it. It lets him do all his hobbies (photography, nature shit, bluegrass music and probably smoking a lot of pot).

Got any hobbies that you could turn into a gig so you can spend more time doing your other hobbies (and smoking a lot of pot)?

Stumpy likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

why don't you try and be internal counsel at a big firm in an industry you like? interpreting contracts and business cases/projects, and when it comes to actual litigation you'd be most likely farming it out anyways. i like working with those dudes at my place and it seems like they have an interesting job that let's them be directly involved with operations or capital strategy and not just some shmuck's attorney or an attorney that spends his whole life defending a pharma company from lawsuits or something.

or... maybe become a robot sex doll brothel operator (just gotta hire somebody else to be the cleaner).

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Turning your hobbies into your business rare turns out the way you think it should. I know many MC guys who used to love bikes but went into the industry only to have their dreams smashed, squashed and ground into the dirt. I'm sure their are exceptions, but.....

TurboBlew, stk0308, t500racer and 5 others like this.
  8. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Military...might get the student loans paid off as a bonus

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Hey, that was my idea!

10. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Whatever broome does.

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was going to say, don't open a bike shop, just not quite as graphically. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bottled water day trading? :D

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Bitcoin master?

Phl218 likes this.
  14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

HVAC, plumbing, electrical, machining, welding, or another skilled trade. Not saying you have to get a job where you show up in overalls, although that's where the money will be in 10-20 years. There are design, engineering and management jobs that all support the workforce and our addiction to the comforts of modern living.

You have to consider the implications of AI and what it's going to do with programming jobs and especially semi-skilled labor like truck driving. That entire workforce will become obsolete very soon and those people will be dumped into a very competitive job market.

15. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Head off to OTS, go in a higher rank than most. Free room and board, get to see the world and buy your self a few years to dial in what you might want to do long term.

Dragginass likes this.
  16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

me and my boy at work were talking about it haha. its technically legal, soooo....

:cool:

they're kinda expensive though man. plus, you'll probably meet the creepiest fucks ever to walk the earth. not sure if worth it.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I would have suggested it but given his background and current job/responsibilities starting out in the trades may not pull him the chedda he's going to need to pay off his JD.

With no practical experience you're at least half a decade from being able to demand higher wages, even with management experience.

18. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Move to Belize and either start a Jet Ski rental company or become a bartender. Cost of living is stupid cheap and you can pay off your school loans. Weather is awesome year round. Win Win! :cool:

Photo and JCP636 like this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you're technically inclined, can stand the crazy hours and hustle showbiz is a safe bet.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It's been pretty good to us right? I think one of the issues we have is that people get put into boxes and qualified or disqualified based on arbitrary means. A great career is a great career, whether you used to be an accountant or a UPS driver.

My ex was an excellent attorney and made $45k a year out of law school. She's a DA now and is killing it, but she's also more talented and driven than most. I have guys working for me who make $60k in their second year with no degree. I pay better than most contractors, but that's primarily because I feel the need to get ahead of a giant and inevitable market correction. I think we're closer than most people realize to service technicians earning $150k per year.

G2G, beac83 and Phl218 like this.