1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. jcclx1

jcclx1 Well-Known Member

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about being an airline pilot.

flygirl likes this.
  2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

My dad just retired as a Maintenance Manager for the C-stores at Valero. It is impossible to find a tradesman in ANY field right now and the ones you do find can’t troubleshoot a damned thing, they just throw new parts at it until they get the right one. I’ve got an 11 year old and I tell him all the time you can make a good living if you pick up a trade.

There is a whole generation right now that thinks because they have a degree they will have a six figure job waiting for them at the end of the stage. My wife’s cousin just turned down $54,000/year (stupid generous offer from family) because she thinks she’s going to waltz into a fashion editor position at Vogue with her degree from UTSA...SMDH

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    borislav and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You’re not your own boss. Ever. Never understood that thought process. You may be the HMFIC, Head Mother Fucker In Charge, but you know who your boss is? Your customers. Go ahead and tell them all to fuck off. You’ll be out of work in a matter of weeks.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You’re right, every single job in the military is blasting people in the face. Never mind the lawyers, docs and nurses, etc that wear an actual military uniform probably 5 days a year.

So many cool programs people have no idea about.

MachineR1 and Jon Wilkens like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So true!!!! I made more money working as an enterprise software salesperson. The good thing about my own gig is not worrying about loosing my job when you have a bad quarter in sales. Thw guys I worked with have all had multiple sales jobs since i bought my place in 2005.

Funny, I was thinking plumbing too. One of the hardest things with my business is finding electric forklift techs, propane techs are pretty easy to find.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Slow down sir. That big money is reserved for the ninja level guys. :D

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There are interesting uses for drones these days, inspection, photography, video.

8. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I don’t know why you assume that I’m ignorant. I’m aware of the many options within the military. I have a friend from law school who went into the Jag program out of law school. I talked to a recruiter, looked into it myself, and decided against it. Why is that not acceptable?

moto_axle likes this.
  9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

What's your income requirement?

I've thought about asking this question lately as well, except I'm 37 and uneducated so it's going to be harder to find something. My problem is I'm happy with my income and hours, I just don't know how long I'll be able to do my job physically. I don't see myself being happy doing a trade or sitting in an office, and I can't think of anything that pays well that doesn't require years of education or training.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated by the thought of being a pilot, but everything I read about it makes the money part seem awful. $60-100k, a couple years as an instructor, a few years making shit at a regional, and then eventually you get to make a decent living is what everyone seems to say.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Then I'm your samurai. ;)

I know everything! Delta is a brand of faucet, Yellow Jacket is that miserable little fucker that built a nest in the condenser, wet bulb is what happens when you water the flowers, and R410-A is the coolest droid in the new Star Wars movie. :D

ChemGuy and JBraun like this.
  12. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My cousin is flying 777’s for United. Worked his way up pretty quickly. In his current role, pulling $280/year working all of about 6 days/month due to FAA hours regs and the Asian flight hours.

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If I could go back in time, I would've been an accounting major in college and done the typical big 4 route. Would've sped up my career progression significantly - every business needs somebody to count for them.

14. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

The husband of a Nurse Practitioner I work with drives 747's, but makes 1/3 what you quoted.

15. Boman Forklift

My son is getting a daul major, finance and accounting. But I can't really imagine being an accountant. He wanted the accounting background, but is going int0 investment banking to put in the mandatory 2 years of slavery, before hopefully transitioning to private equity.

I've worked in a few public companies and am friends with one of the CFO's. They put in a lot of hours and all they do is count the beans.......the sales department makes the shit happen!!!!!! :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think the "lot of hours" is a generational thing - I'm a CFO and probably do 45/50 hours a week in the office.

Also, for a young person out of school public accounting is a decent gig - they work like dogs from Oct-May but are basically off in the summer (when it's dead).

It's also the most transferable skill their is - again, you can point to companies without X, Y, and Z, but every company at a certain threshold needs an accountant.

Knowing what everyone else in the company makes certainly doesn't hurt my comp discussions, either ;)

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Freight jockey?

18. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I am in a similar boat. 43, uneducated, and feeling trapped in a dead end job that will never go anywhere. I screwed myself by making bad decisions about my future at a young age, now paying the price.

It's a sinking feeling not having a clue how to improve the situation, or feeling like it's already too late.

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Several of the most successful men in history got their start in their 50s and 60s. Too much emphasis on being successful and young these days. You aren't dead are ya?

pro69ss, t500racer and Boman Forklift like this.
  20. Boman Forklift

I'm 53, and have a friend, who is older than me, that became a pilot last year and seems to like it.

I was 41 when, I had the bright idea I needed to be my own boss. I didn't think I was sharp enough to start my own business, so I bought an existing business of someone retiring. That seemed to be the safest option to me, since you could learn and try to improve without having to drum up everything from scratch.

So don't think you are too old. I only had a junior college degree in computer science which has nothing to do with forklifts. Actually what I learned growing up and wrench/riding motorcyces is what transferred over.

G2G, t500racer, beac83 and 2 others like this.