1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Don’t be so sure, I can ball a little bit...
    I have better hair than most of them!

Anyway, update:
    It’s been two+ weeks since I left my job and the whole not working thing is going great. Don’t think I want another job. Leaning towards capitalizing on the real estate stuff. I tried flying yesterday and it was actually easier than I thought it was going to be, but I get air sick sometimes, and I was a little queasy during the landing and for about an hour after. Don’t think I would want to do that multiple times/day for a career.

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Great, now we need to find a court while we're in Daytona, too...

Boman Forklift and TurboBlew like this.
  3. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I walked away 2 month ago from aviation (pilot) . Don't miss it at all .I agree about the whole not working thing it is great. I can't believe how fast the days go. I will have to go back to work. But I'm really not looking forward to it.And really don't know what I will do.

JCP636 likes this.
  4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Cheers to not working. Going to Panama next week. 5 hour car ride and 2 hour boat ride to a jungle camp kayak fishing for a week, then rented an apartment on an island off of Belize for 900 bucks a month. Kiteboard and flyfishing till June, then Alaska. Eventually everyone has to work unless you want to be a bum.

Boman Forklift, JCP636 and Photo like this.
  5. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

I had a second interview with a cannabis/hemp extraction company right now. Never would have dreamed it would be a career option.

6. Captain Morgan

No shit! Do it, follow the money. Was actually talking to a friend about this today. It's going to be a multi billion dollar business that appeared out of thin air. Not really, it's been a multi billion dollar business for the last 40 years. Now the states are involved get on it while you can. I'm sure the ratings might go down on COPS or LIVE PD when they don't take teenagers to jail for a joint

7. groundhogday

Yeah, sounds like it could be great. The outfit is a startup though, so you never know how things will go. They could blow up, go public, and I make a killing on stock options, or (more likely) they could be bankrupt before the year is over. They told me I would be the company's first operator deployed to a production site. They said to expect an offer by the end of the week. I'm gonna go for it, considering that my second best prospect is a temp job in a factory for $9 an hour.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So based on the last few posts, “good careers to get in to” are currently: bum, and pot farmer. :crackup:

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Colleague of mine owns a weed farm. It pretty much runs itself now so he's branching into real estate. The market is crazy saturated where I'm at though. He was one of the first in, established a solid brand and was something of a local celebrity. So it worked out for him.

10. Captain Morgan

A tomato plant takes 3 months to grow and maybe is worth 6 bucks, a weed plant takes 3 months to grow and is worth 2500 bucks. It's math, states are already legalizing it. Money rules the world. As soon as these states see other states all of a sudden getting a billion dollars in tax revenue that didn't exist the year before I somehow predict that politicians will go against their great moral values.

As for me I have a Captains license so no weed for me, but as a serious money future business opportunity I might be in.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Until it is legalized at the Federal level, I am too hesitant to get involved. None of the state laws matter if the Feds decide to enforce the law.

12. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

What were you flying? I'd love to do a couple take off's in a jet just to feel the power but know that you get used to increased performance pretty fast. My dream is to be able to afford a Baron and the fuel to fly around the southeast. A bonanza would be awesome/ cheaper in fuel but I'm really comfortable in a multi and love having another engine in case of failure. But who knows ... gotta make that $$$ first

Anyways I was 2.5 months off of the job and it flew by. Just went by HR for my new job and I am starting Monday. Being unemployed was nice because I worked out everyday and went to the shooting range a bunch but finding a job is tough and bleeding money sucked.

I'll be the youngest person in a manufacturing company by far, so the upside is looking good if I work my butt off and do well! I went from the music business to a manufacturing job. Never thought I'd be here but it's a great company and opportunity so I'm excited to see what happens

Gino230, Boman Forklift and pscook like this.
  13. Captain Morgan

I hear you on that but I think the FED's have officially given up. Based upon the fact that recreational weed is legal in Washington D.C., our nations capitol. Not trying to make this political, just talking about future business.

14. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Lucky for you, I still need a couple more months before I can run or jump on this ankle.

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm well aware. Daytona it is.

16. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I’ll bring a ball!

17. groundhogday

Well, I start the extraction job this coming Wednesday. Flying to Florida for HR stuff and rudimentary training, then I'll be on site next week to start learning in a real production setting. Hemp production is starting to blow up in the area, so hopefully I'm getting in at the start of something big.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Very cool. Is this the company you mentioned before, that is going public? If so, I hope it hits for you.

When I was in software, 2 of the 3 conpanies I workwd for were or went public. Unfortunately I wasn't in the right place at the right time, but I did buy up some options for .50 from some of the other employees and held them for 4-5 years and sold them between $3-5. It was definiely a risk, but paid off at that company.

The next company I put in a chunk of my own money, and lost about 90% of it, no options at that place.

Good luck

19. groundhogday

20. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Best Career I've had is Retirement. And the best paying also !