1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

Can you cook? Do you do well on boats? Do you like rum? Do you like to hide cash?

I have an idea...

kangasj, fastfreddie, JCP636 and 4 others like this.
  2. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

You know how to make a million dollars racing? Start with two million. :crackup:

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

JD? Project Management - not IT, but construction, product development, advertising.

4. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You'd go in as an officer so you'd be giving your fair share of orders as well as taking them, so its a wash.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If you're expecting to pay techs with no experience $150k, tell me where to send my resume.

Cuz with my experience I should be good for half a mill. :D

pro69ss and badmoon692008 like this.
  6. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Gold.

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yeah. I never knew about that till a friend bought one. He has a larger route selling Pepperidge farm cookies and gold fish. delivers cookies 3 days a week, normally. Plus a few hours loading his truck on wednesday. Grosses >100K and he has like 1 year left on his loan for buying the route, so that will be a 2k/mo raise.
    Pepperidge farm takes care of all the billing, payments etc. He scans in how many cookies he drops off and gets a check from them next week.
    They have a protected area so any new stores in taht area are yours. He had them build a Sams Club in his area.

If you have some capital. decent credit and dont mind getting up early...it can be a nice way to make money.

Good luck in your career change.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

It’s not a knee jerk response. I’ve thought about it in the past. Not something I’m interested in doing. I have many military friends, and while I respect them deeply for what they do and have done, it’s not for me. I almost went into federal law enforcement out of college, but decided against it for similar reasons. Neither is a bad option. But it’s not at the top of my list of things I’d like to do.

9. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Thanks man! I actually just spent some time researching it. Definitely worth thinking about. Hell, if I really want to hustle and have no life for a while I could do it as a second job before work. Build up a nice nestegg and then quit the other job.

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You could get a contracts job at a mid-large size company. These jobs are hard to fill and usually are incentivized with relocation assistance or the work from home option. An individual contributor could make $100k + depending on the area.
    Whatever path you decide you are positioned well considering your personal life situation. Sucks leaving a job but it might be a blessing in disguise.

11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Whatever you do don't open a restaurant. Unless its with someone elses money and you don't care about them! Then go for it.

R1Racer99, DucatiBomber and Phl218 like this.
  12. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

My best job was the last one - school bus mechanic. Take as much time as you need to do good work, see something else wrong fix that too, no selling whatsoever, you don't have to deal with the public, in house parts department, forget how it goes back together? Plenty of identical buses, every special tool in the book and even hand tools provided, plate lunch at the cafeteria $2.75, even an old fashioned pension plan. Not a whole lot of money but never had a bad day. The only reason I left was to retire.

Phl218 and DucatiBomber like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

If I could do anything else it would be a plumber.

I have 2 different friends from different backgrounds that own Plumbing businesses.

Now before this gets into melka territory; they are not named Babuska.

Holy fuck man they are making bank.

EVERYONE poops, but not many people wanna deal wth it..

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Even fewer want to get into it now, and unlike carpenters, electricians, etc, a plumber is just as important for existing homes during slow growth periods as he is for new construction during booms.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Absolutely... dude works his ass off but has 3 trucks running. Says he could/should have 5 more. Can't catch up onwork but nobody to hire

16. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I hear ya on the plumbing thing. It was one of the first things that came to mind...

17. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Become an expert witness. All you do is give your expert opinion on cases and you can make a lot of money. May be hard to get consistent work though. Oh, you also need to be an "expert" on something.

DrA5 likes this.
  18. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

It’s actually not as hard as you think to be considered an expert in a court of law. I’m sure there are dozens of things I could be qualified as an expert on. It’s a very niche field though. Drug experts, doctors, and handwriting experts are probably the most used. And ex law enforcement are often brought in as investigative experts.

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Long hair? No problem.

Dress code? Wear whatever.

Be your own boss.

OTR truck driver.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

+1
    My wife was an executive assistant to a couple lawyers that were in Allergens legal dept. I think they were VP's. I think they were pulling down 150-350k per year. They didn't work crazy hours like a regular lawyer and they worked there because it was much better than working for a law firm.

In the past year they all left because allergen was bought out. Some of the ones that were there for awhile, retired off all their stock options. One of her girlfriends, moved to another similar attorney job and almost doubled her pay.

Phl218 likes this.