1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Hell....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No what? No it doesn't take faith? It doesn't according to all the usual definitions of the word. As for accepting the world as I perceive it - that's kind of a duh and not sure what it has to do with anything.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No. Agnosticism is the belief that there could be a higher power. Atheism is the lack of belief in a higher power at all. You can't doubt something you don't think exists. It just isn't there to doubt or believe in. I don't need to actively doubt the characters in the fiction I read don't exist, I know they don't, I enjoy the story and I go about my life :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Anyone who is preaching atheism is now on a different level, they're treating it like a religion. I'd never bring up how I feel if it weren't in a discussion like this. Granted I dislike anyone who feels obligated to preach any religion to those who believe differently than they do.

Living like Jesus does in the bible is great, I fully support than and try to do a lot of the same stuff as well. But I don't need to think he was the son of a higher power to do that. All the god stories borrowing from each other doesn't prove anything for me any more than any other oral traditions/stories and now written versions of the same do. Just because there are hundreds of writers going on about vampires doesn't make them exist as just one example...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

You do not, as you claimed, accept the world as it is. You accept it as you perceive it. But mainly I just wanted to hit you with your own monosyllabic reply.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. I'm out no matter what :D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How is the world different from my perception of it? Please be specific.... :D

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

My only "belief" is that God did it. I have heard very plausible Christian theories that accept evolution and still tie it in with the creation story. I've listened to just as many acceptable beliefs that everything was created in 6 days based on God's understanding of time vs our own. I accept that I DON'T KNOW, I simply believe we're too tiny to understand a near infinite idea. Maybe in 100 or 1000 years we'll have a 100% irrefutable explanation of creation. I simply choose to be open minded enough to accept I could be wrong, but also accept I could be right in a somewhat slanted view. If God really exists and we're so tiny, like an ant to a human, that our understanding of all things pale in such massive comparison, I accept that. I also accept that carbon has some magical ability to slowly evolve over a billion years into life as we know it. Even so, I believe it was God's design. I accept this because I simply don't know. No matter how much I try to wrap my head around it, I keep coming back to the fact that something out there just knows so much beyond our ability to understand. Maybe crazy alien guy is right, aliens created us and we view them as God. Maybe Hawking was right and energy and matter are capable of being formed from nothing. I'm not trying to influence anyone. I believe it was God in the beginning and he has a plan.

This is honestly like trying to understand time and time travel. There are so many paradoxes that the human mind is incapable of understanding it all. Even if one mind was capable, the rest of us cannot and so such ideas may fade. Honestly, I see us being wrapped up in such frivolities (like Trump vs Clinton) that the true mysteries of the universe will never be understood to us. AI will be the next evolution of humanity, which will kill us all. :D I'm happy go lucky like that. Idiocracy or the Matrix is our future.

MachineR1 and Chino52405 like this.
  8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The scientific method provides a basis for determining atheism. It's basically called a p-factor. There is no reliable evidence to suggest a higher power god-like thingy, which makes for very low likelihood of type I error. I went from agnostic to atheist on this principle. Bring me some new evidence and I can rework the hypothesis. That's how science evolves. The only faith involved is faith in the process, not a predetermined outcome. Science only reduces, never eliminates, uncertainty.
    I would never do that. I simply point to the fact there is no reliable and credible evidence of it, and leave it at that. The proselytizing from that wing of atheism is high-hypocrisy.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

It's called faith based for a reason. You either have faith to believe or you chose not to.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Hitchhikers Guide the Mice created the earth as a super computer and the dolphins were the most intelligent lifeform and escaping before the program ended (So Long and Thanks For All The Fish)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I ever see a crystal bowl appear in my house I will freak the fuck out... I do keep a towel handy tho.

Still trying to find the right size Don't Panic sticker for the iPad.

sheepofblue likes this.
  12. sheepofblue

If you know anyone with a 3d printer that can do Ninjaflex you can print a vinyl-like sticker of any size or font

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool thanks!

***Note to self - do NOT use this as an excuse for a 3d printer....

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Here I absolutely agree with you.

I would add that, even if a higher power or powers exist, I can't buy that they would take a personal interest in individuals.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or not there could not be. So, pretty much, no belief at all. Except maybe a belief that no one really knows the answer, if you absolutely have to attributable some kind of belief to them.
    No, it's a pretty firm belief that there is no higher power. That's very different.

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Is this strictly speaking to a knowing/gives a shit god or to suggest the likelihood of any intelligent design? Personally, science has been drawing me back into the idea of design models (not religion at all) being more and more plausible. Even the big bang makes a lot of sense to me as a starting point for truly random application of building materials. What puzzles me about any creation model is that the "code is exposed" to us and we are able to manipulate it. DNA is complex, but completely understandable and "easily" altered or created.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to watch the movie for a while now - this seems like a good enough reason. Assuming book & movie are the same at least in that respect.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

To me, the limitation of atheism is the assumption that some form of higher power couldn't have designed the known universe inside a box within which human science makes sense.

Then, he got a B- for that school project, put it into his closet, and advanced to the celestial 10th grade. Never gave us another thought after that. Meanwhile, we're down here writing fairy tale books and shit. :D

19. sheepofblue

Books are short and fun read them instead (all 4), more better.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Interesting idea. If it’s a closed box and the closet never gets revisited, I don’t see how we would ever discover that science is only a code for the box. Science has a term for that: domain. For astrophysicists that domain is the universe which may indeed be not all that exists.