1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Hell....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Oct 3, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

By the way, I should have said "the limitation of science-based atheism." Plenty of atheists just go with plain faith.

2. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What do all ya'll atheist and agnostics use for braking markers in the corners? Is this the p-factor, how much piss you release after you have determined your error?

dtalbott likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I used to go with the one that got me to work on Monday.

dtalbott and joec like this.
  4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Depends on the corner.

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

“Oh look, the simulation started creating its own simulations, isn’t that cute!”

Chino52405 likes this.
  6. CausticYarn

The funny thing that I have been discovering as I delve more into quantum physics, is that I just don’t know.

I don’t know if this universe was designed.
    I don’t know if we are a computer simulation.
    I don’t know if that black hole is a white hole in a different universe.
    I don’t know if there are thousands of different versions of myself in alternate realities.
    I don’t know if God exists.
    I don’t know if aliens exist.
    I don’t even know if gravity exists as we understand it.
    I don’t know if this is some cosmic glitch and we exist by some slim miracle - and we will cease to exist at the end of our lives like we were never here at all.

I do know that someday - none of this will be here and we will likely have zero answers.

7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Don't feel bad. You are in good company. My daughter who is in her 4th year of an Astrophysics degree said that the professor and the autistic rain man kid were the only ones that understood quantum physics...

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Great. Now I'm going to get nothing done tonight.

9. CausticYarn

But it is a fantastic distraction from politics :D

I have listened to so many lectures on quantum theories in the last few months, my brain wants to crawl out of my head and slap me when I open You Tube.

I don’t think there is understanding it. It’s probably the Hail Mary of explaining gaps.

I got talked out of a Science field when I was entering college (no money in that) - but I always gravitate back to it.

Besides - I am really bad at math. :oops:

10. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

It takes faith to not believe in God. I wait for the proof of His non existence, since some here claim to “know”. Please, do post this proof so that we may all be learned and “know” there is no God.

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:That would make quantum quite a bit more difficult...:D

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It only takes faith if someone is concerned about any one particular religion's idea of consequences for failing to believe. You may have faith in the God of Abraham and conversely, faith that every other deity throughout history is false, but I don't feel any need to reassure myself through faith that I've gotten it right either way. I guess that what I have faith in, regardless of creation or random occurrence, is that we are not individually special to a god - especially a "loving" god. I personally feel as though there is an overwhelming amount of evidence in support of this.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I can see your points depending on where you start from and then go into believing. I start from there not being a higher power so no need for a belief of any sort. Other start with believing there might be one so they have to actively believe there isn't. Fine by me. I don't believe there is a higher power or I believe there is no higher power. Either way you word it I know for sure that every single one I've ever heard of is a creation of man :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Read the books, all 5 of them in the trilogy. The movie doesn't come close.

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Did you just say all 5 in the Trilogy? o_O

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See, that is just an absolute misunderstanding of the language and how things work. You cannot prove negatives. If you want to show there is a god then it's up to you to prove it. In the meantime it's up to the believers in the thousands of other gods to do the same. It's not up to me to prove that a god doesn't exist. Woohoo - just looked up, didn't see any gods standing there so they don't exist, proof positive... :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Well, you could call it 6 if you include the one releases after his death.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Mongo is not bound by the limits of dictionaries. :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a Hitchhikers Guide thing in this case. Kind of like inside Seinfeld jokes.

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

And it is all theory. I had an argument with a very smart coworker about the uncertainty principle which he claims is absolute. I told him only now as we might get a better understanding at another time. Of course time itself is not the absolute many think it is.

I could explain it all but then I would have to kill y'all.