1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much do team drivers make?

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Now we're talkin'. Leave enough cargo space for the bikes, roll into the track with your best BJ and the Bear 53' rig.....aaahhhhh yeah.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

$300 to fill with fuel, $500 each tire. That's what I think when I hear owner/operator. No idea on insurance costs.

But I am sure it could be done.

4. dtalbott

Not sure, but the ads I have seen are talking about $70-80k a year.

That is good money until you remember that is for 70 hour weeks, not 40 hour weeks.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Better than my 40k for 80 hours :D

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Make her ride in the trailer!

7. dtalbott

You see family and friends every day, hot showers when you want one (with no shower shoes!), and sleep in a nice bed. You also have a full kitchen to work with.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And you made your choice - you really should stop whining :Poke:

You're making decent money for basically sitting on your ass all day. I get that it's not easy but it's also not a truly hard job. All jobs have good and bad parts, sitting behind a wheel all day isn't one of the worst ones by any stretch.

Mine is underpaid but has a lot of great things and I do something I still love. So I don't bitch about it because it's a great job.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. dtalbott

I didn't realize I was whining. Sorry.

I made what I thought was the best choice to support my family after the shop closed. This has the best potential to make money.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I've leraned that after doing anything for a while, most jobs or something about them, will suck after a while. My hardest part now is waking up in the morning and tolerating co-workers. So consider yourself lucky!

dtalbott likes this.
  11. gapman789

Give yourself props...you took the initiative to go through a school, flip your life/lifestyle upside down to provide for your family.

Maybe in a few yrs you can find a kickass regional driving job that'll pay the bills?

Companies want drivers to have that OTR experience first, right? It's damn near mandatory i thought.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one other than you seems to think you made a bad choice. I sure don't.

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My buddy used to drive tankers, got paid by the load. He now bumps docks and gets paid $24hr, he works 60plus hours a week

14. gapman789

So which job one paid more? I was working on the road that went right in front of a Marathon refinery/storage yard. Its not actually a refinery, but the gas comes off of barges and put into storage tanks, then tankers are filled up and they go straight to the gas stations. So they are hauling a finished gasonline product. I would see the same tankers come and go all day....Looked like they were making 4-5 loads a day. Figure they get at least $200 load? That's $800-1000 a day. I heard they can make $200k a year.

By the time I'm 62, i'm not looking to make 6 figures. Don't know if i'll physically be able to make 6 figures doing what i do, unless they put me in management in the next few yrs.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Let me double check with him and see, he has til me but I forgot

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Jeez that is awful...where do you work? You should give your boss a piece of your mind...or pie. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The old saying about a small business owner never being off is true, it's worse when you're married to the owner :D

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Whenever I get in an unavoidable traffic jam, I always look for the lane with the most truckers in it. I guess I just ass/u/med that they were all CBing and communicating which lane(s) are blocked ahead. Not true?

ToofPic likes this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I know a guy that makes damn near 50K a year scooping dog shit 6-7 hours a day 5 days a week. And he's not the company owner, but a commission employee. Granted, he didn't start at 50K, but after 7 years he's the senior guy with the cherry routes.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do communicate and if you see them moving to one lane it's the open one - however that's usually not the fastest moving lane. It's full of trucks after all :D