1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

This company provides navigation through the omnitracs. We are discouraged from deviating from their routing.:rolleyes:

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Man, all this talk about electronics, tracking, e-logs, 14 hr this, lay over pay, gps, blind side backing ....I'm getting discouraged from a future Class A occupation. Maybe I'll just drive a dumptruck locally when im done pounding on rocks.

The regional type driving (no sleeper type trucks) isn't quite as stringent with all these damn regulations is it?
    I could just run back and forth from Cincy to Indy and call it a day?

3. dtalbott

Pretty much any truck driving job can be like that. Definitely the e-logs, and the 14 hour days.

At least with a day cab you know you will get a shower every day.

You could do Indy to Cincy and back twice a day.

4. gapman789

I enjoy driving. Always have. Going back to my young partying days with the fellas and going to the clubs....I always drove. Drove 90% of the way to and from Miller in '09....3700 miles one way...straight thru....Was at Jennings for 5 days last week, drove straight home to Cincinnati...750 miles. I was up for almost 24 hrs to make that happen.

I wonder if i could go straight to UPS or FEDEX truck with having CDL's for 20+ yrs?

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That's a mighty circuitous route from Cincy to Tooele. :Poke:

beac83 and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. gapman789

We stopped for a 2 hr nap a time or two. Gps said it was 24 hrs straight thru. Took 30 hrs.

7. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I think if you drive within a 100 mile radius you just need to fill out your hours driven, not logbooks. I did that for two years, I drove an end-dump back and forth to a mine about 70 miles away. I'd drive for 10-12 hours 5-6 days a week on the exact same route. It was decent money and it's nice to be home every night but damn, that shit gets old. I sometimes miss driving for a living but I never miss that job.

It's pretty hard to make six figures driving a truck so expect a large pay cut (I think you said you were around there at your current job), the best jobs in my opinion are LTL's like UPS and FedEx like you mentioned, but those aren't easy to get. The line haul guys can make really good money but again, that's all they do is drive the same shit every night.

ToofPic likes this.
  8. dtalbott

Money is in team driving, and Walmart is at the top over UPS and FedEx.

9. gapman789

Local tankers make a killing dont they? The trucks that go from refinery to gas stations?

10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I think I found "150 mile fly radius"(or something like that) when I was researching what was required for our straight-truck driver. No log book required if withing 150 miles of "home base" and returns back every day/shift work.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're just off about 2000 miles on your estimate :D It might be that round trip taking the long way...

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:whoosh:

13. gapman789

2920 round trip from my house to tooele. It was 8 yrs ago. I do remember being up in the skyboxes watchin the sprints in the cold rain. It was 80 and sunny on saturday or friday or whatever. We won the lwt endurance championship ghat year.... so that means suck it! :)

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

So...not 3700 and not "one way". :D

You were on those powder blue bikes? I had a great hour-long battle with one of you.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a racing story, they're a lot like fishing stories :D

Or too many hits to the head messes with memory....

ToofPic and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. gapman789

Yup, bluegrass. I think we entered 3 teams. We took 4 svs, my gsxr 1000 and a gsxr 600 novice national contender. A few of our riders flew in. 4 of us rode out in the rv. I was running 2:12's maybe. Or was it 1:12's?:Poke:

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The perimeter course? 3:12? :D

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

There is no amount of money that I would do that job for. I can't imagine spending half your life driving and the other half sleeping while sharing a small box to live in with someone else.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. dtalbott

Exactly why I am a solo driver.

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What if that person was your wife, you were retired, and you worked as an Owner/Operator or lease driver without massive time constraints on you all the time? You could take loads for a few weeks/months, park the truck somewhere nice and rent a condo, hang out for a few weeks/months, then hit the road again.