1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I'm glad I work in the truck mill. Anything over 8 hrs is time and a half, anything over 10 is double time. Saturday is time and a half, Sunday is double time. Only drawback is layoffs and I shouldn't get caught up in anymore of those.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I hate that once we're all already in stop and go, all it does it make the line longer. If we're moving, albeit slowly, then I'm good with it.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If both lanes are full all the way to the merge then alternating at that point is the best/fastest method - leaving huge gaps encourage the idiot 4 wheelers. Merging too early gives them the option of going to the front. Once it's backed up keeping both lanes full with no gaps and alternating at the merge is by far the fastest method. No matter what the trucker lore says :D

badmoon692008 and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope - if you remove the empty lane that encourages the douchebags - that is when it works best. Merging too early just jacks up the open lane.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No matter what the truckers tell you or believe to the core of their being - it doesn't. If everyone merges early - yes it works. But at that point it doesn't make a single bit of difference where that merging is as long as everyone does it at the same spot. If you leave a lane open for a mile to where the barrels start all you're doing is wasting a mile of open road.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All you're doing is taking the merge point and moving it back - and leaving a lot of empty road that can fill with douchebags. If everyone would just stay in their lane until the merge point it would be better. But too many truckers for too many years have convinced each other they know better than reality :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The andrettis would be back in line if the line didn't have huge gaps up to the merge point....

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

But everyone just has to learn how to merge and how to leave room for someone to merge in.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - but once there is a backup the merge point needs to be at the barrels to keep the backup shorter (distance) and not give the douches any place to show their idiocy.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Just call me Mario, because I'm the asshole that read the reports you are supposed to use all the lanes and all move to the front and then zipper in.

Edit: Basically Mongo has been saying the same thing....and IMO the truckers are wrong.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Not a trucker, but feeling like it this month. This is day 23 that I have been on the road. I will finally get to start heading home tomorrow for a day and a half, then I fly to British Columbia for a few days. I have already run over 5000 miles this month. I don't know how truckers do it.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You must not drive in Minneshitholia.

They tell you a lane is closing about 20' before it does. Then they make you run a fucking chicane from the lane that actually needs to be closed to the lane that everyone merged into because the other lane was closed.

The biggest fucking pet peeve of mine is cops doing ticket detail instead of congestion alleviation detail. A semaphore is out and Fucko the Fuzz is there scribbling tickets to anyone who doesn't come to a full stop, do-si-do alamande left and whistle Dixie out his ass instead of putting on his high-vis and getting traffic fucking moving.

ToofPic likes this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I meant Marco Andretti, not Mario!
    Not so much the guy that drives all the way to the last second then zippers in. I meant the guy with the attitude that he always has the right of way, will make a lane change in front of a semi with inches to spare, the guy that always drives 2' into the left shoulder while it's bumper to bumper, like he is entitled to the road. While he is annoying to all drivers, must be extra frustrating to semi drivers.

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

My favorite is the ding dong in the nice car/truck who assumes I will give him room to get in because I don't want him to hit my truck.

News flash, ding dong. It's not MY truck.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I've told my kids when merging into bumper to bumper traffic, I'm driving a 2006 civic, that guy in the nice car who doesn't want to let me in, he cares more about his nice xxx car than I do mine, he will let us in. :D

badmoon692008 and crashman like this.
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Well, the normal 11.5 hr trip go jennings is at hour 12.5 and im 3 hrs put still.

At a standstill now on 75 S, 180 miles from jennings.

There was a 2 car rollover 2 wks ago when i was 60 miles out. Wtf

ToofPic likes this.
  17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

S ga is a nasty stretch of 75

18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Miles and stops. Hourly would be nice. Still, this is much better than 14 hr days every day and every 4th Sat for $42k. That sucked donkey balls.

19. OldSchlPunk

Sure, in theory. Most of the dumbasses shoot to the front and then panic because there isn't a gap big enough for an 18 wheeler and stop, which balls the whole thing up. The other end of that spectrum is the self-important SOB that gets there and muscles his way in, causing a wreck (or a near wreck, if lucky).

I'm of the make your move early like the sign told you crowd. I've seen traffic move much better this way.

ToofPic likes this.
  20. OldSchlPunk

3.5 hrs tonight to make what normally takes 1.75 hrs to get back to the yard. Who knew that the temp drops after sunset? Apparently not WI road crews. Drizzle/freezing drizzle all day and not one damned salt truck out until after the roads are glare ice and cars are wrecked everywhere.

At least I'm not a cop having to stand out there sorting the sh$t out while wondering when some a$$hat is going to join the party. Don't know how they do it every day, I'd be shooting mfers.

ToofPic and dtalbott like this.