1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My last two forklift deliveries, out of Houston, for the new Tailift forklifts we sell, were delivered by truckers that didn't know how or couldn't back into our driveway that leads to our building. I've never had this problem before and now 2x in 2 months. The previous one, was a flatbed and we were able to unload in the neighbors lot in front. HE could drive in forward and spin around without having to back the trailer.

So the driver that showed today jack knifed the truck and then finally got it in a little ways. He came right around 4 pm, I was out in the tow truck and he wanted to offload and as we are about to shut down then. My "union guys" LOLOL said it was too late and he would need to come back tomorrow. Generally drivers or dispatch always call to schedule a delivery or ask when they can come by. This guy just shows up. So when I get back from my run up to Van Nuys, and then back to Commerce, he is blocking my driveway.

I took pity on him and offered to go ahead and unload tonight, it took us probably 1.5 -2 hours to get it all done, but he was happy because he could leave to his next delivery in Fontana, and the traffic would be nice and light since it was already after 9pm.

TLR67 and dtalbott like this.
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

My wife deals with truckers that can't back up or speak english all the time. Seems to be becoming a common theme. :rolleyes:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes that was also a problem. Living in S cal I’m so used to that, that I catch myself saying the few Spanish words I know and this guy was Asian. Lolol

I offered him Agua like an idiot o_O I tried to communicate with him on what to do and it ended up just being hand signals and he did understand enough to tell me he was going to Fontana later.

I always figure all these guys speak better English versus me speaking their language, so fortunately that keeps me from getting frustrated.

4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Next time pull out the Google translate app. You and him can talk into it and it’ll translate on the fly.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I think some of the high schools in neighborhoods where kids dont have wealthy parents should be encouraging their students to be truck drivers.

Everywhere around here is hurting for them, even the basic back up to loading dock guys.

The specialty guys like concrete pumpers, tankers, fuel, etc are even in more demand and are all making 6 figures, plus they're in their own bed every night.

6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Pretty amazing that the CDL tests are available in 30+ languages and the majority of highway signs are in English.

SundaySocial, ToofPic and Banditracer like this.
  7. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

See this all of the time. Last week, my last delivery was at a place that really isn't fun to back into: right-side off the street, halfway across the parking lot you have to swing blind-side into the dock between cars. This guy refused to go any further than just off the street (which took him almost 15 min.), blocking almost all of the employees from leaving. Then, he wouldn't help move the sh$t to the tail so the forklift operator could pick it off. Spoke no English.

Best one was a couple of weeks ago. A guy shows up @ one of my regular pickups saying: I huv peekup, Ihuv peekup. That's about all the English he knew. He finally gets out: peekup for International Falls. Problem was, he was supposed to peekup in International Falls at that time and deliver to my pickup in Oshkosh, WI two days later. :crackup: He was only 16 hours out of his way. This guy didn't even bother to try to back in, it would've been tight with a big sleeper.

ToofPic, dtalbott and R1Racer99 like this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I thought it was bad years ago when I had to deal with truckers who couldn't read hitting the dock because I couldn't imagine driving in Boston or NYC without being able to read the signs, but now you're dealing with guys who are illiterate in two different languages.

dtalbott likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

There was a team looking for a driver, based north of ATL, earlier this year. I can’t remember where I saw them post it up. Anyone know who it was?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like Chuck with Westby.

ToofPic and ducnut like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. I think you’re right. Thanks!

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

ducnut, dtalbott and Razr like this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What do the Oakleys it wears cost?

BigBird likes this.
  18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

:crackup:

duh...with your gas generator

dtalbott likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fixed

ducnut, dtalbott and BigBird like this.