1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

We’re spending $6k per truck a week. Granted running team drivers in the truck nonstop from Florida to Michigan/ chicago. Gonna be a strong month for cc points haha

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

78K, western IL to Burley, ID. Then, ~70K, Burley to SLC, UT. Deadhead back to Burley. Then, 77K, Burley to western IL.

My Volvo was doing 9’s, until sensors failed, wrecking the DPF and splitting the EGR cooler. After that, the truck would only do high 7’s. It was on the trade list, so they were done throwing money at it. I got sick, during that period, and lost my job. But, all their trucks were custom programmed to be softly fueled.

Yeah, I’m not sure how these long-nosed drivers/companies are doing it, especially those still running mechanical engines, belching black smoke (unburned fuel) all over the country.

R1Racer99 and 418 like this.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

4. GarrettRick

I’m about averaging 5.5 mpg
    Usually hovering around 80k plus or minus a few k
    Cat 3406
    My Detroit gets 6.5 -7

ducnut likes this.
  5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

3406?? Damn that’s what my dad’s truck had like 30 years ago. How many miles does that thing have?

6. GarrettRick

400k on rebuild - it’s a paper log truck . Goofy specialized cab over enclosed car haulers - they only made them for a few years -

R1Racer99, ducnut and 27 like this.
  7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I knew nothing about semis when I bought mine… luckily a buddy has driven for tv trucks at races for decades. He found it, said it was it, flew to Seattle and I threw six figures at something with wheels for the first time…

I had no idea but he did… it was a former cup car rig very well cared for and built like I had no idea they did… Cat 3406 with a turbo that spun up to 30 psi with an Eaton 10 spd that auto guys glamoured over…

that rig would out accelerate and out run our team diesel pusher like it was stuck in park, out brake too… I was really surprised what a big rig could do.

Out west where there is no speed limit I’d hook up with other owner operators and travel triple digits the entire time.

best mileage I ever saw was upper sixes, usually upper fives but I was always driving the shit out of it.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I remember those. Short-bunk Freightliners. They were going to take over the high-end transportation world. But, didn’t. Still cool to see, because of their Euro looks.

9. GarrettRick

Yup
    Only good for owner ops - too much room for error with company drivers
    You can drive it anywhere - super maneuverable
    We’re the only Americans I know that run them , the Sputniks love them

ducnut likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord, dude has been driving for 5 years and is an expert on truck stops? :crackup:

The days of tons of independent truck stops being gone is a good thing, yeah some were great but most sucked. The only thing a bunch of trucks parked in front of a place has ever meant is that they have truck parking, not that they have good food or anything else.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How many does he need? 30? :D

BigBird likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Never enough.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you're going to talk about the long term change in an area yeah, you need some long term perspective :D

Nothing has changed drastically in the last 5 years with regard to truck stops and I've been in a bunch.

dtalbott likes this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you visited more often, you'd get the joke. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okey dokey :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wait a minute, weren't you in that thread about 30 years of experience?

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have absolutely no clue. I'm leaving tomorrow for my fourth weekend in a row, brain is pretty fried.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.