1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Paula Deen!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Jun 20, 2013.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was never under the impression that the lawsuit itself was the reason her business partners distanced themselves from her.

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Of course not. It was the threat of race baiters like Jesse Jackson and Sharpton whipping the brown folks into a frenzy and boycotting stores, products.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I'm sure the lawsuit didn't factor into it at all.

:rolleyes:

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Reading comprehension, Mike. Try it sometime.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Good job America.

She said a word 30 years ago thats used 900 million times per rap song...

I want to punch people sometimes!

7. In Your Corner

You were making a distinction without a difference.
    Kind of like saying "I didn't end up broken down by the side of the road because I ran out of gas, it was because the engine stopped running".

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Ridiculous analogy. She would have ended up exactly where she is today regardless of the context in which the infamous anecdote had come out. Lawsuit deposition or hidden iPhone in her restaurant, it wouldn't have made a difference.
    On the other hand, had the infamous incident not come up during the deposition (better yet, had it never happened at all), it's very doubtful that she would've been dropped by her partners due to the mere filing of a discrimination lawsuit. Especially one that seemed to have little merit from the start.

So the lesson was that the reason she was dropped. However, it was definitely a factor since it provided the context for the actual reason.

Just because you can't see the difference doesn't mean it's not there.

9. In Your Corner

Except that the only reason it came out was that the question was asked during a deposition conducted by the lawyer who filed the lawsuit.
    It happened thirty years earlier, so the chances it would have "come out anyway" doesn't wash.
    No lawsuit, no deposition. No deposition, no question about the incident.
    And, AFAIK, a deposition in a civil suit is not a matter of public record, so the answer to the question was publicized by the lawyer who filed the suit, precisely to defame her and enrage the public.
    Sorry, but your contention that the reaction deliberately and directly caused by the lawyer has nothing to do with the lawsuit doesn't hold water.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And again, I must come back to your problem with reading comprehension.

You implied sarcastically that my original post meant that the trial wasn't a factor. I never said that. Do you understand the difference between "reason" and "factor?"

And now you're trying to say that I contended that the reaction had "nothing to do" with the lawsuit. I would say you are lying, but that would imply you did it intentionally. It's obvious you just don't understand the difference between the words used.

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

By the way, you left out "no birth, no lawsuit." So I guess she lost her business because she was born. :rolleyes:

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I feel like you guys are arguing about what the meaning of "is" is.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That tends to happen when people pretend you said something you didn't. :D

14. In Your Corner

Or when some people don't comprehend that they've made a distinction without a difference.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I am such a commercialized whore!

Everytime i see her, or hear her name...I thing of biscuits and gravy.

Stupid diet.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yo Butterbean, did you get an email from me yesterday? Let me know if I didn't screw up the address.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I replied back, Frenchie!

19. In Your Corner

Celebrity Chef Paula Deen's Restaurant Closes

Uncle Bubba's Seafood & Oyster House announced the closure on its Facebook page. Both also cited a statement from a public relations firm representing the Savannah-based restaurant.

Deen co-owned the restaurant with her brother Bubba Hiers. Former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson sued them both in 2012, alleging sexual harassment and employment practices that were unfair to black workers.

Justice is complete, those black workers no longer have to go to work there.
    Not even if they don't really mind working there.
    They have been set free.
    Praise Jesus!