1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Paula Deen!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

so as long as you are receiving a paycheck your employer should be able to treat you in any way they wish, including breaking the law? :rolleyes:

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If you don't like the working conditions, there's a door you came in that swings out, too.

3. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Sorry, that is not how it works. If it did we would still have sweatshops working people for 15 hours per day for a minimal wage. You must live in a world where employers wont take advantage of employees. In other words, fantasy land.

4. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That, and one shouldn't take everything posted on the internet as the Gospel Truth.

5. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

And people wonder why employers and employees cant be friends. Sometimes, i am even scared to make small talk around them.

Those illegal workers still sound bad to you guys? :D

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Are they getting paid for those 15 hours a day? Are they herded in at gunpoint ebery morning?

What? You mean to tell ne that despite low wages and shit working conditiond, those people are *free* to find work elsewhere?

Gasp!

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

NO! NO! A thousand times no. This is my job and I'm going to make it a perfect job even if I have to drive my employer out of business and into jail. That'll teach him. :up:

8. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

spoken like a person who has lived in the glow of white privilege their entire life. You see, the world does not work that way for a large percentage of the population, including women, minorities and the disabled. They are part of groups of people that are often taken advantage of by employers. Labor laws exist because employers do take advantage of people who don't have options.

If I am wrong and you have not enjoyed being white your entire life, I apologize.

9. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

Chris, is the white man keeping your white ass down?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You didn't answer my questions.

Did the employee get paid for those 15 hrs/day or labor?

Was the employee marched into work at gunpoint?

I guess my "white privilege" has me blind to concept of "voluntary contract"...oh wait, no it doesn't. :rolleyes:

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

My white ass wife made a Paula Deen Dark Chocolate mousse cake over the weekend. My white ass sho nuff enjoyed it.

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Yes, they got paid. However, the employer, by law, has to provide more than that pay. You may live in a world where employers are dead honest and if they are not you can just flit over to another job. I would say most black people, women, and the disable do not live in that (white male) world.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
    the Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA), which protects men and women who perform substantially equal work in the same establishment from sex-based wage discrimination;
    the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA), which protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older;
    Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended (ADA), which prohibit employment discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities in the private sector, and in state and local governments;
    Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities who work in the federal government;
    Title II of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA), which prohibits employment discrimination based on genetic information about an applicant, employee, or former employee; and
    the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which, among other things, provides monetary damages in cases of intentional employment discrimination.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So nothing is preventing them from quitting their shit job and finding another one.

Got it.

:up:

14. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Again, that is not how it works. Employees have a legal recourse when they are victims of racism, sexism, violence, or many other intimidating acts. The system is in place to protect employees. How so?
    1. Shaming the employer for their behavior. This damages their standing in the community, the standing among other businesses and their ability to recruit top talent.
    2. It provides monetary damages to the employee which punishes the company financially as well as provides money to the employee who may now have difficulty finding another job (especially in small tight industries) due to their bravery in calling the employer to task.

You may live in a world where labor laws are not needed. I dont.

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I would say most of us with a southern dialect are accustomed to ignorant people judging us by that dialect. I have a southern dialect, therefore I am racist, stupid and inbred. Got it. It's tiresome, but I get it.

Of course, it doesn't help when someone like Paula comes along and reinforces the stereotype. Thanks Paula.

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yup. Government owns all the jobs. Got it. People can't be trusted to contract freely. Noted. Employers are the debbil. I'll remember that. :rolleyes:

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Putting words in other peoples mouths makes you look bad. You have refused to acknowledge anything I have said and have fallen back on the age old trope of "if you dont like it, quit" You are like a parrot. You can only say cracker over and over again. How about providing some substance to your argument?

I never said gov owns the jobs.
    I never said people cant be trusted to contract freely.
    I never said employers are the devil.

Yet this is what you heard. Weird.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You're the one spouting off all the nanny-state laws the government has that interferes with voluntary associations. Yet I'm the one whose argument has no substance... :rolleyes:

19. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

preventing child labor is a nanny state law?
    preventing employers from treating blacks like shit is a nanny law?
    preventing employers for working people 90 hours per week is a nanny law?
    being required to provide good working condition is nanny state?

Wow.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Hey Flex, I gave the neighbor kid $10 to cut the lawn. Gonna report me for not withholding payroll taxes, not putting him through an 8 hour accident avoidance program, not providing safety apparel and not enforcing a mandatory rest period during the time he worked?

Tell me again how great government BS is, please.