1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Bronco

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Jul 13, 2020.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yes, yes they do...and spend about the same amount of time off-road as 96% of Jeeps and Broncos.

ChemGuy likes this.
  2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yes, but you just can’t feed the “look at me” syndrome as well with a minivan. :D

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Yeah, but the people looking aren't thinking what you think they think.:D

RRP likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If there are leftovers I haven't seen them, neither has the used market based on prices :D

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I got the email today that the online configuration / build tool is available. My preferred build was a 4 door Badlands with the Lux package and a bunch of options and keeping the 7spd manual. MSRP was $59k before taxes. The partner pricing would lower it a little, but jeez, what was I thinking! If I give up on a new Bronco, then maybe I can convince myself to get the Aprilia RS660.... hmmm.

ducnut likes this.
  6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sounds like they're pricing them fairly identical to the Gladiator (which is weird - you'd think they wouldn't be able to charge the "Jeep premium" without selling a Jeep). Will be curious to see if they stay there or have trouble moving them at that price point.

ducnut likes this.
  7. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I don't know why it bugs me so much the " Jeep culture".
    I think it is largely due to the "status symbol" ego driven lifestyle.
    1984-85 my parents bought a brand new bright orange Jeep Wrangler for $9,999.
    Today Jeep is like 60k....
    And now it looks like the Broncos going to be the same...lol
    NO THANKS....
    There still the same old tin box maybe a little faster but who cares.....
    For that money I'm happy just buying a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner with lockers I can go anywhere with reliability and classic styling I am used all day long for 10K in choice condition....
    And almost guaranteed to go 300K. However they are getting a little long in the tooth...lol
    But for 60k Grand I think I'd be much happier buying an original Bronco way way way cooler....
    Teach their own but it's just like a diesel truck 460 to a hundred grand I can buy a small house still somewhere and 15 to 20 years I think buying me a new car .......
    free.
    I've had plenty of new cars but I've never bought anything that cost more than 26,000 brand new Toyotas which I still own... None of them has ever broken down and they've never been in the shop

I just don't know where people get the resources to spend $500- $800 a month on car payments these days combined with insurance....
    Mi no get it?????

fastfreddie and jrsamples like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You realize you're on a forum for a hobby where guys spend multiples of that in a weekend on rubber, right? :Poke:

Spooner, Senna and Knotcher like this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

To be clear, there are Bronco configurations much cheaper than what I picked in the build tool, and a lesser model probably makes a lot of sense for someone who wants to customize their own off roader. I was just hoping my preferred config was not on the high end. A base 2-door at 29k and with the X-plan pricing might get OTD around 30k and be a ton of fun. But a 4-door with all the accoutrements.... open that wallet.

10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Just make sure you don't get the 3rd Gen with the Rustomatic frame.

Which coincidentally, is none of them.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I think you are correct. Nephew finished collage in some kind of engineering. Had offers when he walked off the stage. Took one for $69k. Dude just got out of school. Crazy.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The "true" Jeepers in today's culture, or what's left of them, don't care one bit about the dents and scratches (badges of honor) they'll incur nor are they interested in all the coddling technological conveniences that push the prices over the stupid mark.
    The brand's following today is built on the reputations of both the vehicles and the drivers of yesterday, but people are willing to spend another $20K on top of a bare-bones model to pretend they have what it takes AND share the selfies they've taken to prove it. :D Otherwise, they're just consumers that have no idea what they got themselves into...they figure everything comes with all the bells-n-whistles so, why shouldn't a Jeep? IMO, the better question is, why would a jeep?
    It's not much different than what the neophytes in other recreational sports are doing. This new culture is willing to pay for an illusion and the market is willing to sell it.

ducnut likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My kid's a finance major at California State Univ Long Beach. He talks about kids regularly getting much more than 100K a year upon graduation. The world is a different place these days.

jrsamples likes this.
  14. This old Rz

Oh Dear I love that quote, I may have to use that.
    it's so true in the sense that so many people approximately 35 and under are rehashing virtually everything there is like no identity.. no self-identity anymore. Everything is.. I'm equal . (As if they weren't ?) , look.....look at me! ...I AM relevant.(As if they weren't ?)

That's certainly respectable money I was making between 70 and 85000 10-15 years ago and I never ever would have spent that kind of money on a car I couldn't afford it......I mean essentially after insurance taxes and everything that's a years salary for per vehicle, these days. But then again the average median home in Los Angeles/San Diego ( good area) is fast approaching shy of 1 million dollars..and S F. is well past that mark now.
    Even a couple pulling in 200k a year... I don't think would ever pay a house off these days? although, interest rates are proving extraordinary really helpful for many.....for the time being at least.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  15. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Just did a price and build. Jesus fucking crisco why the fuck does Ford think that putting larger tires / different rims on "needs" to remove the 7spd manual option? Whole fucking POS came out to $58K before tax/title/license and that was just for a fucking mid level 2dr 4 BANGER with a manual. Not fucking worth it. Just another fucking worthless lot crawler like 98% of Wranglers, Gladiators and brodozers.

Although I do enjoy the argument from some of them that my truck cant go where their Jeep goes. Usually get crickets from them when asked how many times have they taken it truely off road and I dont mean a gravel or dirt road. ZERO. Always fun to watch these guys at Home Depot/Menards trying to figure out how to get the 2 sheets of ply and 2x4s loaded on their jeeps.

Dont even get me started on low profile tires on a 4x4 truck.

16. fastfreddie

This just goes to show that the "real" enthusiasts no longer exist in the minds of the market. If you're hardcore and not looking to build from the frame up, you simply buy the most basic, least optioned trim level with, maybe, a couple/few factory options and go home happy with a couple unspent 10+ grand in your pocket.

Case in point, my Jeep...Sport S (air conditioning), 6 spd manual (fuck an auto offroad), half doors (factory way better than aftermarket and no charge), 3.73 Trac-Lok gears (vice 3.42 open), hitch (it's just convenient to have them install their's) and slush mats (it was dead of winter when I picked it up). I was out-the-door under $30K on a 2014.
    Up until the time I put serious equipment on the vehicle, it has all it needs to be capable, in combination with the immediate aftermarket accessories like bumpers, winch, fenders, wheels and tires.
    I also deleted the carpet, rear seat/seatbelts and the soft top. Replaced the creature comforts with a removable BedTred liner, an assortment of bikini/wraparound/duster tops that ultimately led me to decide the removable hard top ($$$$) was the way to go and changed to ergonomic shift knobs to keep my hand "in touch" when the going gets rough.
    By the time I'm done with it, I'll have put around $30K into it, give or take a few grand...don't know yet if it's gonna get supercharged.

At some point, "real" aftermarket products will catch up to the Bronco and the true enthusiast owner's wants/needs/desires and then, yes, it too can have superfluous garbage overflowing with aftermarket adornments that make it a true mall crawler. :D

If I wanted a Bronco, I'd spend my money on a Gen II...love the look of the '78-'79. Resto-mod from the ground up.

I'm never buying another new toy/tool...excepting a Super Duty, Porsche and/or Honda Talon. (No need for any upgrades/modifications).
    The RR-R sure has my interest, tho'. :D (No need for any upgrades/modifications).

ducnut likes this.
  17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, I've got a 2019 'Mall Crawler', Rubicon 4dr. I got it as the only hope of getting out of my driveway and up my road at some points in the winter is studded up, 4Lo with front and rear diffs locked. It accomplishes that job. A Bronco in similar config will potentially do better the rest of the time with it's IFS front instead of a solid axle but I'm not a fan of having to run 35's to get lockers. 315s in snow will be trash, I'm already digging to see if I can put 235/80R17s on my Jeep for winter instead of the 285/70s.

18. This old Rz

There's a tremendous amount of people who just spend at least $20,000 on aftermarket accessories for their Jeeps I live in southern California I would say the majority don't use them however I live about 15 minutes from Johnson Valley recreation area where they have the king of hammers event there are machines out here Jeep based every weekend that are just incredible at what they can do $100,000 incredible I don't know about that my girlfriend has a 4Runner with lockers and that thing has never failed to go anywhere that it's been asked of and it's over 20 years old she paid $7,000 for it when it was 7 years old.... She's been driving and ever since except for a broken axle once that's it never been in the shop never broke down on
    I just couldn't justify that much money when something just as cool takes you just as far.
    now I'm not talking about the hardcore rock crawling where they just obliterated their sheet metal in a matter of minutes that's more of a sport body as far as I'm concerned..
    But to truly go off-road hardcore you're going to smash your truck..... Period.
    And you're going to break your truck repeatedly most vehicles will get towed home.
    So the thought of spending that much money on something that is so capable but in reality it's just going to be rough trail riding... I don't know not for me.
    Put my ass in a nice leather-trimmed Escalade/land Rover or something like that..
    Then I'll spend the money on a vintage Land cruiser four Runner Bronco.
    may be rough but it'll be tough. And it'll be OG unlike the new ones where you're going to see 50 of them a day.
    I'm not exaggerating I will see well over 200 Jeeps a day driving.......
    They're all nice. Old n new I guess whatever floats your boat?

19. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I own a 2013 Wrangler JK that I bought used in 2015 for $16K. I actually offroad the thing, plus I live in the mountains where real snow is a thing and I need a 4x4. There are other capable offroaders out there, but I stick with the Jeep for resale value when the time comes. The used 4x4 market has gone bonkers this year. KBB value on mine is $18K and change, and I see similar ones going for more than that. So if I needed/wanted to sell, I would still make money on the deal even though I've been driving it for 5 years. Hard to beat. I suspect the Bronco will be the same way.

20. fastfreddie

Sounds like you made out pretty well. :thumbs: