1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i didn't say cops should take up boxing to get rid of that adrenaline rush... what the hell man? i mean they should go to the range more, and do shooting simulations with loud noises and lights and people yelling at them. hahaha what the godamn shit, you're making me insane!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nowhere did you say that. All you discussed was first an elevator repairman and then boxers.

All the sims in the world will not work to duplicate real bullets coming at you. The only way to duplicate real life or death is to put the trainee in a position where they can die - and that will never happen.

All a moot point as the cop did a pretty damn good job given all the shit going on. Can't see how any training would have made it end better other than full on anti terrorist war time battle training - which means that's all he'd do and could never actually be on patrol doing his job. Monthly range time wouldn't make him better than he was.

3. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

The closest we could get is simunitions and stress fire.

Sim rounds hurt like hell, but you never felt them on vest impact. We found creative ways for stress fire. Low crawl 50 meters while wearing a pro mask and and then qualify at 10 meters. Shits harder than you think.
    Our standard stress fire drill was 1 minute side straddle hop (jumping jacks), 1 minute push up, 1 minute sit up, 10 pull ups, body drag 10 meters and shoot. No breaks between exercises.

Even after all the training, practice and stress fire, we still made small errors in a simulated environment. All good plans go to shit once the first bullet goes flying by.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This^^^^

5. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Go get him Johnny!!! LOL!

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Yep. The problem with Rodney King has always been that they neglect the fact of occupant #2 in the car. Who did not get beat, hit or any other harm. Rodney King might have been excessive but HIS actions brought it on just the same as Mike Brown's did. The difference is Mr King lived then further illustrated how great a person he was. Not an evil man (as I think Brown was) but not the beacon of hope either. Rather a severely flawed man who made more than the normal amount of mistakes and suffered because of them including an early death.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think that line there sums of my difference of opinion with some in this thread - to my mind, there’s no excuse for “excessive”. These officers are supposed to be professionals and should act as such.

I think the adoption rate of bodycams will be a huge factor in curbing this behavior.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

There is also no excuse for what Rodney King did. Neither was right. The fact remains though that Mr King was in control of starting the problem. Again I will refer to the passenger who did the correct thing and received no bad consequences. I do not support nor excuse the cops action but it took two to tango ;)

So yes I would agree with your statement above. Some choose to focus 100% on the cops actions and ignore the criminal, some focus 100% on the actions of the criminal and ignore the cop, some try to focus on actions of all involved. I attempt to be in the third group.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Sweaty, I'm sure that stepping into a boxing ring will give a person a bit of a adrenaline rush but not enough to attempt to compare it to an actual firefight, or possible firefight scenario. One thing that is clear to me is that, when I went through part of a tactical training session at a Seal training center, (met through a military friend) the adrenaline rush was mild because we knew that it was not going to be fight to a possible death on my part or my "enemy's" part. The Seal trainer said that no matter how many times one goes through a life or death situation the adrenaline flow does not stop. Some really successful Seals, and police officers, live for that "rush" because they learn how to deal with it.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That story reminded me that in the late fifties and early sixties the Abilene PD had a Chevy biscayne with the 330 hp 348 v8 engine that they took to the drag strip on a regular basis. Whatever you brought to the track was welcome to line up against the Chevy. (Some of us smoked him though.) :D

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I saw a car pulled over by a Lambo just East of Midland TX on I20 several years ago. Pops said the troopers seized it in a drug bust.

Orvis likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Those are cool but it's a little different than using seized cash to buy a lambo :D

16. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

The biggest issue I have with police "force" is that there are a lot of other professions that work with the exact same populations of junkies, career criminals, psychopaths, etc with none of the same protections for excessive force. My 5 foot nothing psychologist ex wife is supposed to restrain a 16 year old kid in an extremely regulated hold for very serious legal reasons for the same aggression that would earn a taser or nightstick from an officer. And then I'm supposed to always buy the "I feared for my life" line of defense. That's honestly the best part of police videos though is simply watching how horrible most are at any sort of grappling or restraint.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Is your wife supposed to hold the kid in a controlled semi-clinical office environment, out out in the wild?

sheepofblue likes this.
  18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Ex-wife thank you :crackup:

Yes-ish...controlled isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe some of the places she's worked like Cook County jail or any number of various levels of juvenile facilities. The juvenile facilities are the biggest issues she's faced and often it's because there's no proper way to house or treat mentally disturbed, violent minors.

So, I easily give up whatever points on the setting, but she never has the luxury of being proactively aggressive no matter how upset or agitated the individual is and possess no offensive tools.

EDIT: and just to be clear, officers face a lot more unknowns and variables that will impact split second decisions. I'm truly talking about ability to restrain an individual within their grasp/custody. There are options other than punching and yelling stop resisting.

sheepofblue likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry, no insult intended.:D

20. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I suspect this might be the most idiotic thing I'll read today, but I'm sure this place won't let me down. So what are these other professions that deal with society's rejects the "EXACT SAME" way the police are tasked? In other words, when the shit hits the fan, are they calling out your ex??? :rolleyes:

And what protections are the police afforded for excessive force?

Sigh..... :rolleyes:

In what world is YOUR ex wife called to restrain an out of control mental midget of any age at any facility??? I'll wait. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018