1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

The. extreme aspect of that case I was looking at was the fact that it was all over selling cigarettes. I don’t disagree that he was breaking the law. I don’t disagree that it’s not his choice to just say “No thanks, officer. I don’t want to comply with a legal order over my illegal actions.” But I would also argue the whole incident was extreme from start to finish being that it was all over cigarettes.

But ... I would also argue that the officer losing his job over it also proves my point that there are, in fact, “outlawed moves” when it comes to grappling with people. He’s being blamed and held accountable for using what some claim was a choke hold when all the medical evidence would say it was not really a major contributing factor in fat boy’s death.

It’s a no-win for the police. Damned if they try to do their job and force legal compliance, and fat boy decides to fight and force their hands. Damned if they look the other way because it’s just a minor law.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His outlawed move was being there when an out of shape in bad health criminal resisted arrest. That's all it took.

Funkm05 likes this.
  3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If that irks you, imagine what it does to police officers. The very political party who taxed the ever living crap out of cigarette sales which created a market for "loosies" are the exact same ones who requested enforcement at that location (due to store owner/supporter complaints).....THEN they have the audacity to take sides with the criminal and his family. Trust me, it's infuriating.

What irks me a little is listening to the MSM saying shit like he died over loosies or to a lesser extent you calling it "extreme from start to finish". CIVILIZED people do not act that way.......end of story. He didn't die over loosies, he died as a result of resisting arrest. At that point, the violation is completely irrelevant.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Personally, I kind of liked dirty Harry's methods. :D

5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

But it isn’t completely irrelevant. Yes, his refusal to comply resulted in the physical interaction. But none of it needed to rise to that level in the first place. Not blaming the cops. They were doing their jobs ... enforcing the laws. But this topic has already been covered & debated. No point in rehashing it. My point is and has been that the police are handcuffed by rules of engagement on allowable grappling, then get bashed for using other means to subdue people. It isn’t right.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I am by no means an expert, but I had a retired LEO say, in his opinion, the isolation in the car is one of the problems. Beat cops learned more about the people they policed. and street smarts topped education smarts.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Maybe the cops should learn a lesson from this.

8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Lol....if you think they haven't already you'd be wrong. However, if you're getting sent to a location to enforce a specific complaint then you can only do so much.

And just in case you're thinking, well they could just turn a blind eye and say they didn't see anyone.....in some cases that may work but if the storeowner actually has eyes on the guy and sees the unmarked units pull up and then leave, there will be hell to pay. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

10. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Need is relative. They don't need to do it, they do it because it's lucrative and that can buy you all kinds of wants.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Like a moth to a flame, ever been to Southport?

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

We pay our cops pretty good, over 40k to start with no experience.
    Of course, if they want the real cheese, they head 10 miles south to MA where the pay is better.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...al-jeopardy/Ru7JyZwCQGiXchM28u8seO/story.html

In cash-strapped Methuen, where the average resident earns just under $32,000 a year, five police captains stand to each make a whopping $432,295 a year under their new contract, according to an analysis by the city auditor that has outraged residents and officials.

The pay would make the five captains the highest-paid police officers in the state, giving them salaries that would exceed Governor Charlie Baker’s annual pay of $151,800; Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans’s salary of $238,846; and the $386,829 collected last year by the highest-paid state trooper, outgoing Superintendent Richard McKeon.

The auditor estimates that Methuen’s seven lieutenants are owed raises of 104 percent, hiking their pay from $132,223 to $269,823, while the city’s 12 sergeants are due raises of 45 percent, boosting their pay from $110,390 to $160,018. The total cost of the raises would be $3 million for the fiscal year that begins July 1, city officials says

14. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I chose the wrong Department...:whoosh:

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

WTF? Even before the increase that shit is ridiculous.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Linky no worky. Password protected bank login.

ryoung57 likes this.
  18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Thank you! Fixed now.

19. kangasj

kangasj Banned

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds