1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First female enrolled to BUDS

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cortezmachine, Jul 22, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Women can pee standing up.

That they don't is more a function of them generally being the ones that clean the bathroom. :D

Potts N Pans likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know what he was trying to say - but it made no sense so I pointed that bit out :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have no idea what pressure if any there was to put her in the program. Hell, it wasn't even publicized unlike the Ranger stuff.

So your guess makes no sense.

Physical shape is a consideration but strength in and of itself is not. Power lifters won't make it either...

Got any other facts you'd like to make up about it all?

4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Well...the Ranger stuff had a bunch of grumbling. Sooo...SEAL tryouts would get crazy if it was publicized the same.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

From 2015 http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sdut-navy-seal-women-standards-2015sep27-story.html

From 2016 http://www.businessinsider.com/10-r...-trainee-will-face-2016-2/#1-media-scrutiny-1

From 2017 http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/02/15/a-year-in-no-female-seal-applicants-few-specops.html

The Navy is closely monitoring the interest of female applicants. In fact, Naval Special Warfare Command is eyeing one Reserve Officer Training Corps member who's interested in the SEALs, and another woman who has yet to enter the service but has expressed interest in becoming a special warfare combatant craft crewman, a community even smaller than the SEALs with a training pipeline nearly as rigorous.

This was hardly under the radar, nor some casual effort.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet nothing to do with what I actually said as usual.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Women and men are not the same. You will have those that will try to compare two extremes (a strong woman to a weak man), but that's not really a fair comparison of the population. Because the same could be said for the amount of weak women to the average strength of a man, which is far, far more common than the strong woman/weak man comparison.

I find it interesting that the over whelming majority of active duty women (or prior) I know have zero desire for combat role stuff. You MIGHT have one or two women out there that might be able to keep up with the average SF guy. Might. Is it really worth rewriting the entire DoD policy for one or two people? No.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The discussion about women in combat, especially in elite units, has nothing at all to do with the sexes being different. Of course they're different. Hell, even within just men there are HUGE differences. Same for women. Some people can do what it takes to be an elite fighter. The overwhelming vast majority cannot. Doesn't matter what sex.

There is also no reason to rewrite anything. Let them go through the exact same procedures and testing and so on. If they pull it off good, if not so be it. In this case the "they" is a soldier or sailor or Marine. Doesn't matter what their sex is.

9. Wheel Bearing

This is a classic reply from someone that's never served. Not meant in a derogatory way, but meant in the fact that you aren't considering the multitude of factors involved.

A few decades ago, female Marines all lived in a single set of barracks surrounded by barbed wire at Lejeune. When you went out to the field, you pissed in the woods and shit in wag bags.

So now you want to bring females into the equation. Well, good luck to you once the general population finds out that you're letting females shit in wag bags next to males in the woods. Now you need porta johns. So now you need extra man hours from the motor t pool to haul out the shitters. Now you need the logistics guys to procure said heads and upkeep them. Now you need twice the number of heads, but since 90% of the Marine Corps is male, you have all these heads that are untouched by 90% of base and get used 10% of the time. That is one example of many of the increased logistics that went underway to integrate females more into the military.

Aside from the tangibles, you have the intangibles of having women thrown into the mix with men. I could go on, but really it's quite pointless because only those that have been there get it, and if you've never been, you'll never get it. I know a lot of people that think women should be integrated into the combat roles. None of those people have first hand experience. They absolutely have a role to play (FET's, Lioness, etc come to mind) but the 03 field ain't one of them.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Quite simply I don't mention the reality of the public being involved. Or the politicians. I have refused to add that in because you're absolutely correct, it makes everything fucked up. I've said that before. All I have ever done is said sex should not be a factor in a soldier being up for a job. It shouldn't. It is. It probably always will be. But it shouldn't. There are no viable arguments why it should be a consideration. But it always will be because of all the stupid crap that gets piled into such decisions - but those issues have nothing directly to do with the sex of the soldier. They are the issues of the morons making the rules and regs. Kind of like a bunch of other stupid shit you guys deal with all the time...

11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, in an ideal world it shouldn't matter. We live in the regular shitty world though. The political pressure will assure we're wasting resources to integrate females for no additional benefit. Why integrate women into the infantry? Now you're just going to spend 2-3x more per female infantryman than a male, and all you get is the same level of capability. It's a waste of resources. The job of the military is to destroy our enemies at the least possible cost to us. If you're Israel and you have a tiny ass population of 5 million people, it makes sense to utilize women because you have zero choice if you want an effective combat force. We have probably the equivalent number of military age males as their entire population graduating from high school every freaking year. We don't need female manpower. Unless they provide a unique capability or are more capable than males for the task, we're wasting money, time and lives on needless political bullshit. Women apparently make excellent fighter pilots and in some respects can be more desirable than men from what I understand, that's where they should be pushed, not infantry where they aren't giving us additional benefit.

I always like to look to the future. In the not so far future our infantry soldiers will sport neuroprosthetics, genetic and surgical enhancements as well as all manner of ridiculous tech to make them superhuman. Not to mention power armor and a bunch of other shit. When that happens, gender will largely be irrelevant and I'll support recruiting females for the cyborg infantry. Assuming I'm still alive. Until then, keep them out, the cost to benefit ratio is too high.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Everything should be a factor in determining combat readiness, gender included. Only someone with zero military experience would say otherwise.

13. Wheel Bearing

This is the entire point. x100000000.

Spot on.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm just curious... can anyone point out a post where Mongo ever said something akin to, "Your logical arguments have convinced me that you were right, and I was wrong."

I'd bet there's at least ten of these for every instance of the above:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't disagree but how do you know if their input would be beneficial without giving them a shot? If it's going to cost more - don't do it. If it means changing regs - don't do it. I'm just saying leave everything the way it is and let them either match those requirements or not and see how it pans out.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yet you haven't made a single logical argument for gender being included.

I agree on all the physical and mental requirements.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If people have logical arguments that make sense why would I have engaged in a discussion in the first place? All you'd see is the occasional "yep" post and while I think that fairly often I don't post it much. Granted I don't post the "no" ones anywhere near as often as I think them either.

What's truly funny is in this discussion I am not arguing against reality or that politicians are morons or the general public will get involved, I agree with all of that and have said so a number of times. After a long ass time of arguing even Nigel had to admit in the one single part I was talking about I was right ;)

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that I agree with. I've said all along there shouldn't be anything changed to allow women in.

19. nigel smith

The fact that you are inherently unable to recognize the logic behind an opposing viewpoint does not automatically invalidate said viewpoint. Perhaps on this one subject you might consider that the opinions of those who have been there and done that outweigh your own "expertise".
    We have been over this ad infinitum, but if you don't think that the effect that the inclusion of women might have on high stress, small group dynamics is even a factor worthy of consideration, your understanding of human nature is in need of refinement.
    I await, with some anticipation, your next tortuous explanation of how neither you nor I really said what we said, nor meant what we meant.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  20. nigel smith

I will readily admit it when we are on common ground. I take no satisfaction from winning three percent of a debate.