1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First female enrolled to BUDS

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cortezmachine, Jul 22, 2017.

1. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

2. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

If they can do it without any special considerations, more power to them

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep...if she can complete the training without special concessions then she's a total bad ass and more power to her.

4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yeah but that's not how it works. My Ranger buddies have told me about the women doing Ranger school and they get lots of exceptions, and those dudes are not happy about it. From the high speed guys that I know and what I've heard, no woman could pass it legit.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    XFBO, cajun636 and JBraun like this.
  5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I don't think for one second the most elite special forces on earth would compromise their standards for ANYONE.

I'm not gonna lie... this might be a little sexist or chauvinist.... but I feel that even if a woman could pass the physical part.... I'd be hard pressed to be convinced a woman could take the mental and physical torture they put you through. as a woman I would expect my sexuality to be taken into great regard during the torture faze. That shit breaks women down. and breaks men down watching it happen. (Team members)

I just hope when that does happen.... she doesn't try to file complaints of sexual harassment or mental anguish or whatever

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    cajun636 likes this.
  6. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

How long before they have to change the name BUDS because it is offensive sounding "too male".

SEALs will soon become dolphins...cause the ankle tattoos will be cute/sexy.

XFBO likes this.
  7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If we assume that boys of the last 15 or 20 years have been raised with the idea that the fairer sex does not need our traditional "male protection" then by all means, let's welcome women into these military units. Historically speaking, in the past most men always felt a responsibility of sorts to keep our women safe from danger, if at all possible, and most everyone knows that having that feeling of responsibility can, and probably will, get in the way of effective performance of a combat unit. If these women can cut it, and if they openly prove that they can cut it by equally performing with the men, then by all means let them play with the big dogs.
    The first one however, that complains that she doesn't have a "proper" bathroom to use while in the field, or that she's "uncomfortable" with the typical unit cohesion actions of her male counterparts, gets shown the door. Absolutely no special treatment for any member of those units need exist. Just saying.

Fencer likes this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How about the first one that significantly ups the typical unit cohesion tactics by banging everyone on the team?

Mran556, cajun636 and badmoon692008 like this.
  9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

To be clear, the ones that passed Ranger school get to wear the tab but are not in a Ranger unit. This might be a similar deal here, not sure what's going on.

Norway has a female SF unit. I'm pretty sure they operate separate from the men. There might be some missions where a woman is a good choice. If you need to go covert in a public place, having a woman on the team might actually be an advantage but I think it's going to be a rare occasion.

10. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Gen Mattis is head of the DoD. There won't be any special treatment, but you can have your chance. The drop rate is something like 80%. They won't make it.

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

G.I. Jane anyone?

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

What you have there is unit disarray. If I wanted to totally fuck up a cohesive unit, I'd introduce women in to it. The job at hand then becomes protecting the pussy for some of these guys...unit cohesion goes to shit. No way women belong in Delta, Seals, MARSOC, etc.

JBraun and cav115 like this.
  13. 88/532

Hollywood fantasy land shit. Every time I see a movie where they have some hot chick as special forces type operator, I know I'm going to laugh a lot.

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If the standards are not lowered for her then go for it. But, your feeling stop when human life is on the line. Fuck your equality and feelings if people end up dying as a result of it.

And that is my politically correct answer up there. My honest opinion, women should not asprire to be in the majority of combat roles. I can understand and appreciate certain rare circumstances where they might excel, as mentioned earlier a smaller/lighter frame better suited for stealth infiltration and tactical espionage. I've also read that they make excellent snipers.

But from a biological perspective (biology doesn't give a fuck about feelings and equality), men are built for the typical combat roles, women are not...the same way men are not built for giving birth. Its not discrimination, its how our species has evolved over 1000's of years. More muscle mass, greater cardiovascular capacity etc etc. You can't pretend that having that much higher testosterone levels doesn't account for something.

Deep down the majority of women know and accept this, but you'll always have just a few that have to try and upset the apple cart.

If the directive comes down from the high level political talking heads they'll do what they are told. Mandates, like shit roll from the top of the hill on down.

Agreed

It's not purely about can she pass this test or that test. Can she do X number of pull-ups or drag 220 lbs of dead weight 50 yards. Its about the X factor of introducing that type of element into an otherwise cohesive unit. Nothing good would likely result from it.

JBraun likes this.
  15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Throughout history there have been women prove themselves on the field of physical battle but it's rare. In the past the women proved it by joining the battles while in progress because they were caught up in it. There were a few women of this sort in some of the Native American tribes noted by history during the late 1700s into the late 1800s. They were fierce warriors and showed no mercy to their enemies. Different times and different individuals than today. Today it seems that most women are just trying to prove that they can cut it just to fulfill a social agenda. Maybe I'm wrong.

88/532 pretty well called it with his post about the pussy factor. When pussy is involved it brings out the jealousy and protectiveness that I mentioned before. In fact, even if the woman didn't bang anyone there would still be some feelings of protectiveness on the part of one or more of her male comrades in my opinion. Unity within the organization would nosedive eventually. If pussy is involved then the nosedive would start very quickly.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There have been plenty of women throughout history that were pure badasses, no reason there can't be any now. As for mentally, push come to shove I'd say women these days are tougher than most men I know. Post on here help me come to that conclusion....

17. 88/532

Has nothing to do with being a badass. In these special units, no one should be sexually attracted to anyone in their group. It's a major distraction that will get good people killed.

18. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I was working down in Louisiana when GI Jane came out. One of my field guys was MARSOC. He made it about 20 min in to the movie before he got completely disgusted and told us he was leaving and to come join him in the bar next door after the movie. Another one of my guys was a Ranger. He just laughed thru the entire movie. The 2 of them filled us in on how unrealistic the entire show was in the bar after. I will take the word of 2 guys that can say "been there, done that" on this issue. After hearing about the training and the washout rate for extremely fit, aggressive, motivated, hard assed guys I am not sure why any women would even want to try. From what I have seen and heard it would be like me wanting to become a MotoGP star. It just is not going to happen because I do not have the ability and all the "not fair" in the world will not make me capable of even making the grid. There are probably some women somewhere that could pass without any special concessions but they certainly would be few and far between. Take lowered standards and special concessions that always seem to come in to play with stuff like this and add in the "protect the girl at all costs" factor that seems to be hardwired into most guys brains and the likely outcome involves alot of tears.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bullshit. People who make it through that training have more than enough mental toughness to get over that kind of crap. There's more emotional issues seeing a buddy injured/killed than dealing with thinking one of your teammates is hot.

20. FXCLM5

FXCLM5 Well-Known Member

wonder woman

saves the world

she is a woman

but, lets not mix them up, can we have special team for females?