1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I saw the fake teargas stuff and some real teargas stuff but never saw any huge mass of people trying to get in. Does that mean OMB's matter of fact telling them they'd lose worked?

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

um, the data for the report comes from DHS.

3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

They would love to, unfortunately they can't find enough help. During cherry season they will have people quit the packing shed mid shift on a daily basis. The rancher was paying more to pickers to get his crop picked, competing ranchers weren't so happy that they couldn't get their crop picked due to a lack of pickers. The packing sheds get more automated every year and lack of people to do the work is part of the drive to increase automation.

4. Fonda Dix

OMG who cares? their labor problems are no reason to give up American sovereignty.

jrsamples likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So your number is infinite? Other than to critique the ability to achieve his goal you did not seem to provide an alternative. So I assume do nothing? Or?

Your answer reminded me of how Pelosi started the rebuttal with Democrats are for border security. Fine but how Mrs Pelosi? The reality is she has only obstruction to offer as 'border security' as she likes the current system or worse.

6. sheepofblue

Yep and letting a ton of illegals in removes some of the drive to improve the process. Slaves are easy and cheap in the short term.

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Especially cheap for the employer. Social programs, schools, infrastructure, not so much for everyone else.

Motofun352 likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Election is over.

R1Racer99, code3ryder and SnacktimeKC like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe they should pay $20 an hour and buss people in from the cities who are out of work. Dunno but I really don't care if cherries cost more due to lack of illegal workers.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I had a feeling that was most of it :D

11. Fonda Dix

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I did specify an alternative to the statement of "only zero illegal immigrants will be acceptable". Set an attainable goal and work towards it.

I am fine with some more fencing or more walls to help in the solution. A 30 foot tall wall all along the border will be extremely expensive to build and put in place. Figure out where a fence and some electronic monitoring is "good enough" due to remote locations with rough terrain, as it may be considerably more economical to use a fence and some cameras / motion sensors rather than have to build a road so you can build a wall. In other areas build a wall. I have no issues with that. I do have issues with people making ridiculous statements and not being call out on it.

R1Racer99 and sheepofblue like this.
  13. Fonda Dix

What about yourself?

Illegals cost this country $200+ billion per year but yeah, $25-$30 bil for a wall is "extremely expensive"

Jesus.

14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Once again, supply vs demand. Sounds like farmers are depending upon illegal workers, and the left is perfectly fine with a slave wage, as long as they get their goods. If it's something visible like a fast food worker, well, FIFTEEN BUCKS AN HOUR NOW! But if it's a lowly slave worker, you CARE so much about them, until it's time to pay them. What hypocritical BS. If you mandated 15 bucks an hour for field hands, you'd find a whole lot more people willing to work. However, if it's cheaper to sit on your ass, pump out a few more kids, and collect welfare, guess what people will do?!?!?!

Ok, so let's say that people won't even work in the fields for 15 an hour? Well then, your cherry prices will sky rocket. Farmers will adapt and plant more lucrative crops, or go into another business all together. Cherry prices skyrocket. People pay more, or they don't. Life goes on.

My solution is a lot more simple. Require work to receive welfare and to eat. BOOM, jobs start getting filled. Is it that simple? No. It's still a helluva lot better than our country depending upon a slave wage, which both sides whistle over while they sweep it under the rug. Oh, and just so we're clear, I've worked with these illegals while between jobs. I've taken every job I could to keep providing for my family. That includes being the only english speaking white boy amongst every single other worker being illegal. Just so I'd never have to take a handout.

galloway840 likes this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's expensive to be a man-bun vegan.

16. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Weird, I think I've heard this before. Maybe from POTUS?

17. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Like it or not, we need immigration and quite a bit of it. The US workforce is aging and not having enough kids to keep the economy growing. Also there is the whole matter of having enough workers to keep the massive US government Ponzi scheme rolling along. It is called Social Security in case you didn't follow that.

I would very much prefer if that immigration and all the workers are legal.

We need to keep attacking this from all angles as well. Make sure we are punishing the employers that hire the illegals as well as the illegals. We also need to do a better job of keeping track of those overstaying their visas.
    Well, since you brought him up, he would say let them all in and then share with them your food, shelter and clothing.

For the rest of that, lets just say I am skeptical of those numbers.

18. Fonda Dix

I'm skeptical of your skepticism.

:)

19. sheepofblue

One huge advantage of a wall is that you stop them prior to entry. Unless catch and release is stopped the sensor option is a non starter for me.

20. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula