1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EPA is out of control

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by gixxerreese, Dec 15, 2016.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Actually eight. Most population estimates i have seen for all NA herds were between 30 and 70 M animals.

2. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

OK, I see what he was getting at. From the history that I've read concerning the plains tribes the buffalo population has been estimated (from late 1700s to mid 1800s at anywhere from 300,000 to about 1.3 million. I think I remember the numbers at the high mark at the turn of the 19th century. Most of the big numbers were in the Northern Okla area to the Southern part of North Dakota and from Wyo, to Eastern Kansas. In the late 1880s the buffalo hunters in the panhandle of Texas were killing several thousand each day which brought on some serious battles between the hunters and the Comanche tribe. the hunters won because of the .50 cal rifles. In one fight there were four war chiefs sitting on their horses overlooking the battle and were right at one mile from the battle scene. A superb marksman inside the building that was being attacked shot one of the chiefs right off his horse. Shot heard across Texas so to speak. The Indians left right after that which proves that they were not stupid. :D

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That may be fairly accurate considering the whole US. The center of buffalo activity was the central/Western states with smaller numbers as they moved away from those areas. We may actually have better historical facts now than then. Whichever it was was indeed plenty of good eating.

This is a site that shows buffalo numbers through the years starting in the 1500s.

https://www.fws.gov/bisonrange/timeline.htm

4. dsapsis

Comments such as this show a misunderstanding of the conditions that led to the decimation of Bison in the 1830-1876 time period, that effectively all but extirpated the species. They were not killed for their meat, but rather their hides. Millions upon millions of animals were slaughtered and skinned, and the carcasses left on the spot.

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I don't think Orvis is quite that old, so old that he could be blamed for the bison slaughter. :crackup:

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Convenient to start it during an ice in order to skew the impression. Thus demonstrating why I have zero trust, the leftists always manipulate the data to misrepresent the issue. Add in that once you get old enough the resolution of the measurement is frequently below the proposed disaster change level.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Damn son, you missed my point totally. I know exactly what they were killed for. I was just pointing out that there were a lot of steaks wasted. Jeez.

8. mtcam77

mtcam77 Well-Known Member

Never underestimate liberal knee-jerk reaction.

9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Hullo! Knee jerk?

Pssst!

Gun 'A' is about be banned....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  10. dsapsis

I knee-jerked to "plenty of good eating". How you get waste out of that statement is...Trumpian.

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the federal government encouraged, and even subsidized, the wanton slaughter of the buffalo in an attempt to deprive the native population of a valuable resource, which of course included food.

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

That is exactly right. Many of the tribes would not, or could not, be defeated without starving them out and making life so bad that they had to come in to the Indian territory at Ft. Sill, Okla.

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Trumpian?? Now you're just getting sarcastic. :D

It's all good. I should have stated my point more clearly.

14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Florida cows don't fart.

15. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sounds like "Any means are justified by their laudable goals".

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Relax Dave :D I didn't get that he was talking about the slaughter but about the herds and the food source for the locals around them.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I know. I just remember my Eighth Grade science teacher saying this to us in class over and over. It's pretty much my standard response for any "scientific" based discussion. :D

18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What a maroon....

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Newsflash from the the Washington post...."It's Bushes fault!"