1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durrani magnesium wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by Booger Van der Jackass, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango Malo

Chango Malo Well-Known Member

Maybe, but first they need a phone system with more than one line and a live employee to answer it when people call.

2. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

Is that Paige?

Lay off the donuts baby! I ordered my wheels from Indy Superbikes and was very reassured by those guys. They have been dealing with Durrani for months as they get this project running. They are very confident and so am I!:moon:

3. Salarzae

Salarzae New Member

I don't want to enter in the controversy but I met Mr. Shehryar Durrani personally. He is one honest and pure guy who always think about masses rather then personal benefits. I've seen some of his other projects and idea of how to get benefits from the light magnesium and you all will be surprised when they hit the market.

4. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I may regret this, but as of right now, I smell bullshit.

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Nice to meet You MR. Durrani...

6. jetspeedz

jetspeedz Well-Known Member

This was quite an interesting topic... Just yesterday I was offered a set of these wheels from Indy but I opted to replace my CZ's with some PVM 10Y instead.

I email my buddy who is a Engineer and did a lot of stuff with Mold injections while he was getting his masters and he basically told me this: Quote:

This basically looks the same as injection molding for plastic. If you were to use this process then you need to make high volumes in order to turn a profit because the molds are so expensive ~25k for a small mold. IT also gets a lot more complicated if you start to make bigger things. Some of the advantages are that you can make very detailed parts fairly fast. The first few you make may be scrap but after you get the machine dialed in you can crank part after part out. When the part comes out you will just need to remove the flashing. and remove the runners and gates. i did not think you would be able to do this with a metal becasue of the high tempurature you would need to get the magnesium to and flow into the mold. So you would probably have to get the mold fairly warm too.

to me it would seem hard to make wheels that using that type of a process. You generally would not want to make large symetrical parts using this type of a process. Also i dont think the wheels would be as stong as going with the forged approach

If it is stonger, then you would have to inject the molten material at an extremly high pressure and maintain that pressure as the magnesium cools. Because when it cools it shrinks so it would be pulling away from the molding. Maybe as it is injected the molding cools the outside and the middle stays molten and keeps the presure on the outer most layer. I would need to look into this process further to know for sure

I definitely think it is a much cheaper process but I find it hard to believe that it is 10% stronger

7. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

take it with a grain of salt....your buddy sounds like he spent about a week in one class discussing die casting.

he's definitely not a die caster.

8. jetspeedz

jetspeedz Well-Known Member

i don't know where you saw i stated he was a die cast expert and no he is no die caster but he did a few years with plastic molding and knows a thing or two about injection molding

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I know tons about plastic injection molding, its what I do for a living. But that doesn't mean I would tell anyone to trust a word I say about molding Magnesium.

That being said, I've seen it done on lots of small parts but never something like wheels. And from what I've seen on the small parts, I would have second thoughts on putting those wheels on my bike. I would hope someone has done the engineering research as far as strengths of material, but with the looks of their website, it makes you wonder.

10. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

ever wonder where the term mag wheels came from? they were originally all magnesium.

magnesium wheels are nothing new, my brotha.

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

But where did the term "dubs" come from? The hood?

12. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Molding process is what I was referring to, not the material.

13. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

twennies.....double dimes...dubs.

14. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You dolt! That's Mrs. Durrani! :D

15. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i agree. the key is all in the molding and fusing processes.

everyone's got their panty's all up in a wad...because the dude hasn't answered a couple calls and isn't a web designer. shit, i'll go out there and look at it...it's not like i'm doing anything else. i feel i'm qualified as anybody to assess their mfg process.

16. Resident Plarp

..... :confused:

Bring HeavyPenny and we'll go to The Wall afterwards and forget everything we saw. :D

17. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

at least that's what they call them here....(rims, ya swedish meatball)

edit: wth is the wall?

18. Booger Van der Jackass

Booger Van der Jackass Well-Known Member

Wheels Mr. Gruber, as in 20".

19. Resident Plarp

A bar that HeavyPenny's friend Ryan bounces. :up:

20. heavy penny

heavy penny I like to make slide

It's called the Well...not the wall. Geek :tut:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.