1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durrani magnesium wheels?

Discussion in 'General' started by Booger Van der Jackass, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

:eek:

YOU LIVE!

The wall, the well - whatever, I can't hear anyway. :)

2. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

Just to throw it out there, i've received two called from Durrani in the last week, one from Mr. Durrani himself, and am told that wheels will begin shipping in 2 weeks, following a trackday that he is sponsoring. He said that there is a contest to see if anybody can break the wheels. He'll pay $10k to anyone that can. i think its restricted to the trackday tho.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Crash and win.

4. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

He needs to give a set to the Triumph rider at Summit Pt today. Hopefully someone can post up some pics of that aftermath.

5. gixracer

gixracer Active Member

you guys need to chill
    sheriar is a stand up guy
    he lives about 5 minutes from me
    as far as engineering experience and project managment he has more more in his pinky than you guys all together
    this is only the start from him and there is more to come
    just wait for the product as it come out you will not be dissapointed

6. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

I, for one, wasnt saying anything to bash him. i thought it was great that he called me back, let alone twice, and took the time to talk racing with me. maybe you're the one that needs to chill...

7. gixracer

gixracer Active Member

ok i'll chill :rolleyes:
    one post about it and i'm the bad guy, get a life

8. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

Was the Triumph rider doing a Roger Lyle Track day or was this during a race?

9. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

Wow! Imagine this! One person figures out how to do something others can't and hopes to make a profit on his ability and intelligence.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

During the MW Novice Solo yesterday. Tankslapper out of 10 yesterday, down right at the end of pit wall on the right side of the track, rider slid on the track and in the grass past the little drive where Al parks, the bike slid more to the right tumbling and wound up over the tire wall about 40 feet before the drive. Well, most of it did, the front wheel stayed down by the tire wall (assuming you want to call the wad of metal a wheel) :D

Rider okay, bike not so much.

11. Salarzae

Salarzae New Member

As per Mr. Durrani's quote the other day "I will be out in L.A. next month to give a pair of wheels to Kent Kunitsugu and Andrew Trevitt of Sportrider magazine and we are hitting the switchbacks." He also said "Keep an eye out for many more products using this technology in motorcycles and cars."

I don't think I need to tell you about his newly designed, soon to be on the market, All Magnesium Engine (for CNG - Compressed Natural Gas) which will never need maintenance in its life time. And by the way, who designed the Corvette's Magnesium Block. Well, I better stop else Mr. Durrani might bash me.

12. roadracer86

roadracer86 Always worth the pain.

Send a set my way for free and I'll beat on em all year; if they can survive Grattan and the Sledges they'll survive anywhere. :D

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Once again, most of you are missing the point. The issue isn't whether or not the technology is viable, it's whether a successful company will emerge. The landscape is littered with companies that had products based on superior technology that were unable to sustain a successful business. Not returning phone calls is one indicator of whether or not a company will ultimately be successful, as is the previous business history (not inventions) of the principals.

14. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

I met with Mr. Durrani and his partners last week. I held in my hand one of the prototypes for the wheels. He has all of the background and then some needed to pull this off. Their facility is not very far from ours. I will be traveling down to visit them when the production is in full swing.

With Mr. Durrani's engineering background and his experience with magnesium there is little doubt this will fly. Once I have the opportunity to see the wheels in stock and the production line running we will begin selling them. I am confident this will take off, just prefer to not market or sell anything that is not yet ready to deliver.

I do not have any issue with them marketing the product before it is finished. This is needed to get the whole thing rolling really.

When this is in full swing the aftermarket wheel business will be revolutionized by Durrani and their very unique business model.

Gotta love folks who will put it all on the line for something they feel passionate about. Good luck Mr. Durrani, we wish you all the success in the world.

15. AJ

AJ Well-Known Member

Ah!

I thought the wheel broke off it's hub, Robert Dunlop at the IOMTT, style.

Any crash out of turn 10 will make junk yard material:)

16. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

my offer still stands to evaluate the casting/machining/assembly process from an automotive quality standpoint. that's what i do for a living.....well....aside from eating bon-bons right now.

i'm not interested in buying any wheels...but am willing to provide a professional un-biased quality evaluation of their mfg process.

17. AFMotorsports

AFMotorsports Well-Known Member

That's pretty funny...:rolleyes: He will probably pay A LOT more than $10k when a wheel fails, especially if the rider gets hurt! Just ask one of the carbon swingarm manufacturer that had one fail on a Ducati years ago... Beta testing is not typically done on customers. For what it's worth, I feel that a new product and new technology like that should spend AT LEAST a full season on the racetrack, taking extreme punishment, getting x-rayed, etc. before it's ever sold on the street or to Joe Trackdayrider... We still see occasional cracks and broken spokes with the market leader in magnesium wheels (both forged and cast) and you think these new guys are already up to snuff?? Sorry, I'm not buying it. Maybe Monte is (well... who are we kidding, he probably got a free set just to promote them :D ) and both him and Brian are probably ready to swipe your credit card in a heartbeat, but some of you with a little common sense and some sense of self-preservation may want to hold off being guinea pigs until the wheels are tried and tested by someone else...

Nothing against Durrani, I sincerely hope they turn out to have an extraordinary and safe product, but I don't agree with the way they are introducing a new product to the market, especially such a critical product like WHEELS! Call me paranoid, but I still have a PVM rear wheel with 5 out of 6 spokes cracked and I've seen enough "new" wheels come out and experience failures before being re-engineered or just going out of business. You just don't mess around when it comes to critical parts like brakes and wheels.

18. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

That's quite impressive, but what happened to the magnesium engine he designed? The LS7 is an aluminum block.

19. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

This is heading down that all too familiar road.:Pop:

20. Chip

Chip Registered

Ha....send a set to me.....Haner can break anything!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.