1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have any advice on divorce...

Discussion in 'General' started by CycleWorx Inc., Aug 17, 2010.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

A friend was married to this crazy lady. She got knocked up by a 3rd party during the marriage.
    When she wanted out... she filed for divorce and told my friend the truth.
    He ended up having to petition for parental priviledges?... its been a few years... foggy on the matters that were debated. I do remember him being excluded as a "parent".
    I could get you the case info if youre interested. :D

2. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Nah. Sounds like another day at the office. :p

3. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Guys, fuck paternity tests and all that crap right now. The man needs to, at the very least, talk with an experienced Family Law attorney who can give him the lowdown. If he or she has substantial assets, even more the reason to.

There is nothing deceitful or sneaky about consulting with a lawyer in this regard. He's not bound by what the attorney tells him, nor is he obligated to hire him or any other attorney. But a lawyer will walk him through the process and explain the best way to go about this.

Of course there's also all kinds of online resources (Google) that can help give someone a crash course on all things related to separation, divorce, spousal and child support, etc.

4. HotbodiesRacing

HotbodiesRacing Well-Known Member

new one...

This is 200% fact.

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Keep the chin up Doug. Let me know if you need anything.

6. 56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

I'm going through it now. I really don't think Id jump straight to an attorney. We're using a divorce mediator and it's been great. Ours is simple; cost was only around 500. Check on a good mediator in your area.

and good luck with everything!

7. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

As stated, get a GOOD attorney. Get everything in writing and signed ASAP, all i's dotted and t's crossed. And, be ye warned...

My ex send me an e-mail just yesterday. She wanted a handgun she gave me back. We've been divorced eight years. All my bases were covered long ago, I told her to piss up a rope, nicely. :)

8. Zippy1

Zippy1 Banned

Not a bad idea as long as the split's amicable. Because this came as a total blindside, it might be a slightly different situation.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

still wish i had taken the handgun i gave an ex when i left 14 years ago.

as to kids not remembering, don't let them find out on their own when they learn to read...they'll think you've been lying to 'em.
    "where's my real daddy and who the fuck are you?"

10. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Couldn't agree more with what has been stated here.....I've been through my own 13yrs ago, my son is now 15, daughter 17. Shit I can't wait till next year when my daughter turns 18, some of the ransom I'm paying will drop off! :rolleyes:

Not sure what assets you have together, but whatever you own that you purchased while married is 50/50, that includes debt too.. Only other thing I can add is make sure your child knows you love her, no matter what happens!;)

If she blind sided you once, she'll do it again, don't drop your guard.

11. For sure!!!

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

All right gad damn it. Dig a hole in the woods and be done with it. Be very careful of your alibi.....

13. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Always said, can't kill'em, cuz if you could there'd be a bunch a dead ones.........

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

You just don't know about the dead ones...they're "Missing":p

15. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

Best of luck to you. It's not an easy thing to go thru especially when there's young kids involve. Just make sure that's your priority :)

16. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

Cyoa. Remain amicable. For gods sake just consult an attorney. For what it's worth you are going to hear all kinds of experiences that people have had, listen to them, at least to give you an idea of how we all could have been married to the same psycho bitch from hell.

Not to be a dick, but chickens dont leave home unless there is another rooster down the road. Not always. But it's been my experience as well as many of my friends and acquaintances.

As far as the gun comment goes. If it's got your name on it, get it. I didn't get mine when I left. The guy my ex was shackin up with took my .380 went home killed his wife then shot himself. His 7 and 9 year old daughters found the bodies after school.

You've got a lot to think about. Good luck with everything. I sincerely wish you the best in this.

17. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I absolutely hate that I got here late.

18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I had a friend that went through an ugly divorce recently. It didn't start out that way. She said 'we don't need lawyers - we can settle this ourselves'. Then it got ugly. In the months leading up to this, she managed to set up a consult with most of the decent divorce lawyers in town. When it came time to find a lawyer, he couldn't use any of the decent ones in town as they had already spoken with her and said it would be a conflict of interest.

19. crepitus

crepitus I gots nuthin

What every one else said. Plus, from what I've seen agreed divorces are relatively cheap. If nothing is contested you could do one for around $500 cause it's basically just filing papers. Your state laws may vary.

20. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Only thing constructive I have to add is that there are alternatives to traditional divorce. I worked for a Family Law firm in college and they specialized in collaborative and cooperative divorces. If you can stay amicable, these tend to work better and be cheaper, while using professionals to serve you. Here is a link to help you start looking into these: http://www.loebherman.com/areas/divorce.shtml