1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’ve gone to a few dealers looking for a new bike and they are gone!! Sales guys are telling me they have been selling before they hit the floor. Last winter I dragged my feet on getting a new Yz125x and seriously regret passing up on it now. All that’s available is a ttr125le, ttr230 and a 2 kx100’s. I’m not understanding how COVID caused this.......but every sales guy says it’s hugely what drove up sales......:confused:. The KX100 sounds big enough for adults and at this point can’t be any worse than what I’ve been using in hare scrambles.....ttr225 and then a heavily modified rt100 after the 225 met its demise. C class and zero aspirations of moving up......but is a new kx100 just too bad of an idea for an adult to ride majority of woods tracks?

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Too small for most adults, Dave K would struggle to get a leg over it though. full size people need full size bikes.

3. britx303

Yeah wishful thinking:D. I just don’t want another TTR, but ready for an actual NEW bike.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

How big are you?
    If normal size, I would put a deposit on a new full size of your choice and wait.
    There were still a few deals out there on 250xc bikes last I saw. That would be my choice. Just saying. LOL

5. britx303

Normal height......abnormal weight:D. We have our final hare scramble in 2 weeks, so was looking for something before next year but Not used. I’m over that right now

turner38 likes this.
  6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah they are selling crazy fast around here too. Many of the shops are nearly out of the 21 models unless its something nobody wants. I also would go with a 250 or 300xc ore the white or red versions as well. And to me a 125 as a hare scramble bike sounds like a lot of work. I would be a blast as a second bike but I'd want more grunt out of my primary bike. I'm on a TX300i and it just walks up hills and will lug like crazy. Makes a big difference when you're 90 minutes into a race and completely worn out haha!

turner38 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Just finished the Starvation Ridge 25 hour race (10am-10am). I wore my heart rate monitor for 3 of the 45ish minute motos and I was surprised at the calorie burn and heart rate. It ramped to about 180 immediately and never went below 165 with calorie burns around 1000. Based on that I significantly increased my calorie consumption early in the day because I just can’t eat that much at 330am. I’m sure I still was in deficit for the total but I was more consistent than years prior.

I used nuun tablets and BCAA supplements in my water, which seemed to help with cramping and lactic acid mitigation.

I’m sure others here have more sophisticated info on nutrition for endurance events.

8. britx303

BCAA right on cue as well as nuun tabs. Anymore than that is just brain f*cking it. I do those as well and ours are only 1.5 hours, but at my height to weight ratio I need it:D Good job man! 25 hours must be brutal

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

was talking with a fella that does alot of marathons & tough mudders... he tries to consume about 600 calories per hour in somewhat of a steady state by minutes. Wasnt real concerned about bodyfat or weight... also hydration is a huge part of the stamina.

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I like the NUUN tablets, but I started using Tailwind last year on the MTB and the stuff is fantastic.

Knotcher likes this.
  11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

This seems like as good a thread to ask this in as any. I picked up a WR400F earlier in the summer. It is a great bike and I've been having a blast with it. Only downside is it came with the stock pipe, with the baffle insert removed which is really loud and I'd like to quiet it down. Pretty much any aftermarket pipe for this thing is either no longer made or backordered right now and I haven't been able to locate any stock baffles to put back in there. Any ideas for how to quiet it down to save both my hearing and the sanity of those riding with me?

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Stuff that fucker with heavy duty steel wool everytime until you find an ample baffling option.

13. Knotcher

Even with a 5 man team you end up with about 7 laps each. Most years it’s fast and fun with some rocky sections. This year the course was super rough and whooped/chopped out.

The early am laps are a bit of a head trip on 2 hours of sleep, but 5th while cranked over in a berm WFO through the loamy farm field sections under a full moon at 3am is IMO a bucket list item for moto.

britx303 likes this.
  14. britx303

Nice!!:bow:

15. Knotcher

Anyone that wants to do the event can contact me and I’ll get you info. I’ll try to remember to post up in here next year around signup time.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Not elegant, but when I was a kid had an XR75 with a super loud pipe. Took a chrome sink drain tube that was probably 6-9 inches long and had a the drain piece that would screw into it. Put 3 metal screws around the back of the pipe to bolt the longer tube into the megaphone. I think I also put steel wool around the outside of that tube with some holes drilled in it and then wrapped it with some safety wire to keep the steel wool intact. Also, filled the inside of the tube with steel wool, the drain piece screwed into the long tube to keep the steel wool from coming out.

jksoft likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sounds like Studio 54 in the 70s.

Phl218 and Knotcher like this.
  18. SuddenBraking

What other mods did you do to get the most power from the Vortex? Did you buy a kit like this? New header?

Inquiring minds want to know............

masshole likes this.
  19. SuddenBraking

20. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I have the Euro airbox (think I got it from Tacomoto) and since I crash too much I run the oem muffler from the SX model (lots of them on ebay), all that crap from the "power" bundles too.