1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I ride slow, and like a bitch. That being said, I'm also a pretty big boy so all else equal I think I'd go the 350 route.

2. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I got lucky a few weeks ago I guess. I was laying in bed looking through the usual classified sites when a new listing popped up on FB marketplace for a 2015 300XC. He was asking $5,500 and claimed it had only 7 or 8 hrs on it. The pictures looked like it, but you all know how it goes. I offered the dude $5k and said I’ll be there in the morning cash in hand, sight unseen if the bike is what he says it is. I’ll be damned, the bike looked showroom new, even had all the warning stickers still on it.
    Having said that, is anyone wants a primo, built KDX.......HMU

turner38 likes this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Id go for the 350 and the rekluse is the shit, no clue why people don't like them haha! I would agree that Tubliss isn't the best but that's not a big deal to toss bibs in it.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what year??

5. SuddenBraking

What's the maintenance schedule look like on the 350s? The '17 I mentioned above has 3000 miles on it - any specific questions I should be asking about? Obviously interested in the last time the valves were looked at, but does that mileage warrant a top end rebuild or anything of that nature?

FWIW, the dude is a teacher at my high school's arch rival and is asking $6,250 for the bike so absent any real obvious red flags I'm prolly gonna go with that bike.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

If it is street miles it should be fine. I Would pop the air filter and look for dirt in the intake boot and check the valves when you get it. They are pretty bulletproof though.
    Wonder how many hours it’s showing?

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

How many hours on it? Has he done a top end or anything?

8. SuddenBraking

Not sure regarding the hours or top end - will talk to him tomorrow about it and ask.

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The 350 valves check is every 30 hours- per the dealer techs some need adjustment, some don't.
    3k street miles is most likely over 100 hours- I'd check what service is needed next with the exact hours when those are known.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

In technical terrain when trying to manage traction, load the flywheel and then catch the momentum of it as the throttle is coming off, etc it's like having two bosses for the clutch and the way it responds is not as “clean” as a good manual

JMO.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

price seems pretty decent given the current market. I just bought a 2015 500exc a few months ago from a friend, has 7k miles on it, about 200 hours and was well maintained. Most of the time you just need to check the valves in the KTM's. After the first adjustment they tend to go a long time without needing more adjusting, but you should still check them every so often. Most of the 500's are going 300-500 hours before putting in a top end, so you should be good for a while.

If it's "new to you" I'd go in and change fluids (oil, air filter, brakes and clutch fluid, maybe suspension) and check valves so you have a good baseline for maintenance.

SuddenBraking and Phl218 like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

Welp, drove through the remnants of a hurricane yesterday and picked it up. Excited to give it a once over and then go fuck around down in the Pine Barrens with it.

Need to do some research on Tubliss wheels and Rekluse clutches..........and also see what wheels from my TE511 will fit (fairly sure all the rears will mount up but not sure about the fronts).

Attached Files:

Wheel Bearing, masshole and pscook like this.
  13. SuddenBraking

A question for @Phl218 or anyone else who would know. My Husky TE511 had 25mm axles front and rear, and I have three sets of wheels from that POS (two dirt and one sumo). It looks like the 2017 FE 350 has 25mm rear axles, so I'm guessing those should bolt right up (right?). The front axle is 22mm, though, so my question is - is there some kind of adaptor that would allow me to use those on my new bike?

Do I need something like this?

http://www.bankeperformance.com/flattrack/axles.html

Or do some kind of custom shit like this dude did? (last post)

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/969986-wheel-swapping/

Phl218 likes this.
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Like the Yamaha guy with sleeves. Should be easy peesy for a competent machinist. Or you might get lucky and find some tubing/spacer material with 22mm ID and 25mm OD, then just cut to length.

And that's a nice bike. I was searching long and hard (chuckle) for an FE 350 before I landed on my Beta.

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Figure out the size difference and buy the premade axle sleeves- I've seen them around, maybe it was on Slavens Racing. The place also had a conversion chart for axle sizes, spacers etc.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

Husky /KTM wheels and hubs are like Cantonese and Mandarin to me...

I’ve tried to buy 3 sets and nobody could ever tell me what fit, I might end up buying a new oem set

Even after hours on parts fiches... nothing makes sense

17. SuddenBraking

So anybody who's this anal and detail oriented would've had to have the valves done a couple of times at this point, right? These aren't the notes of who I bought it off of, but of the original owner (the bike only has 300 more miles on it than this sheet which is inline with what the seller told me). I mean, this guy's got his suspension settings written in the manual, has all manuals from every aftermarket part in the binder, etc. - I'd have to imagine he had the valves done somewhere else or documented them somewhere else but I'll ask for his contact info from the guy I bought it from.

Attached Files:

Phl218 likes this.
  18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I would pull the cover and check them regardless.
    I’d also bet money they are still where they were when it was new...
    FYI, that’s a lot longer than I would go with oil and filter changes and air filter cleanings on a dirt bike. If it were street only miles it would be different. IMO
    Especially with a recluse in it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  19. SuddenBraking

Yup, I'm gonna pull the cover - seems easy enough and it's worth the peace of mind.

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

on the oil, air filter changes, it really depends on the conditions, and abuse, not just hours. hard/race pace, every other day (5-10 hours). trail riding with the friends, family... i started at 10, oil was like it came out of the jug. (motorex 10w50 full syn). started going 15 hours, still looked new. i know i can go 20 hours and be safe with my riding, but, i have never let a change go that long. Ski