1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Moss explains tire wear patterns

Discussion in 'General' started by nyburner, Oct 18, 2016.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

My general reply to the Internet guys trying to tune by tire wear is simple. Do you get trophies for the best tire wear? I dont give a shit what the tire looks like if it had grip and went the distance and rider was happy.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No, but generally, a tire that is wearing nicely is also working nicely.

4. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Yeah... and somedays you can milk a really soft tire for a 7 lap sprint. :)

5. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I took a Dave Moss class at a STT event. I have to say I think it was worth it and we didn't cover tire reading. He is very, very methodical and had a plan that slowed us down to focus on what each suspension change did. I ended up within a click or two of where TSE had me set, but I had a much better understanding of how I got there. Prior I mostly a set it and forget it kind of rider, figuring any issue was most likely caused by me. After, I am a little more comfortable changing things when I find something isn't working.

helicopter99 and metricdevilmoto like this.
  6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

We're talking about different brands, but if we can't get at least two sprints out of an SC0, I'm definitely changing something (or we shouldn't be on the SC0).

5axis, helicopter99 and ekraft84 like this.
  7. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

That's a supermoto tire on a full road course I'd bet $100 tonthe AFF FUNd.

If you're gonna sm on a road course use a 250gp style tire. Sm tires are designed for low grip sandy type turns with much softer compounds.

A "hard" sm tire is still softer than a soft road race tire. At least according to my durometer.

8. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Yes. My assumption was that it got too hot and shredded the tire. It was a soft compound SM tire Michelin. The pocono south east course in mainly left turns, with a double apex at the end of the straight. DOT tires wear fine on the bike. It was just the wrong tire on the wrong track.

9. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im always amazed that WSBK tends to use the "standard SCO" most often for their races. they are a bit longer than 2 sprints and yet some club 1000 guys cant even get 1 sprint out of that tire.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  10. Helps when you have a data on suspension guy dedicated to you :)

11. Chip

Chip Registered

Dave is a good dude. The tire article is too broad to be used by real racers/techs and too specific to be used by track day hacks. This giving people just enough info to be dangerous.

My $.02

metricdevilmoto likes this.