1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Moss explains tire wear patterns

Discussion in 'General' started by nyburner, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Spot on. His business model works. I'm not a fan of his but some people are. Suspension never is or never will be a one size fits all. Take two top level team mates that both are same weight, speed, etc. I'd bet my paycheck the set ups are not identical. As stated above you could also have two tires that look the same but two different root causes. As my old boss would say "we need to drive from coarse to fine". Not sure but I can't remember ever seeing a pro rider come into the pits, swap out front springs on hot pit and check the sag :)

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

All this reminds me of some words an engine builder friend of mine once said...
    "The difference between an expert and a professional is...the expert gets their information from the magazines, the professional gets their's from hands on."

He had a few others and I'm sure these have been seen elsewhere...
    "The engine doesn't care whose name is on the gas tank."
    "When theory doesn't match practice, it's time to come up with a new theory."

Relative to some internal work, like fixing a broken clutch basket where pieces may have ended up loose somewhere in the engine, he has been known to ask, "Since I have to go in there anyway, want me to speed it up?" :D

How does this apply to tire reading?
    I'm an expert. How should I know?:crackup:

3. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

Articles like this one are generally the beginning of the conversation with Moss (or any other suspension handler out there). I read them more as a call to action rather than a final solution.

Every time I go to a track day I am shocked how many people have NEVER set up their suspension in any way, shape, or form. I see terrible tire wear come through the tech lines every time. Articles like this bring a spotlight to the fact that suspension is a part of the motorcycle that needs to be adjusted, sometimes several times throughout the day.

If a track day rider or soon to be track day rider reads this, looks at their tires, then goes to see the suspension guy at the track, it is a win for everyone, not just Dave or the tuner at the track or even just that rider.

4. All I have ever heard an engine builder say is, you want to go fast? How deep your pockets are will determine how fast you can go.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the consultant line we used when I sold software. A consultant know a 100 ways to make love to a woman....problem is, he doesn't know any women.:D

metricdevilmoto and fastfreddie like this.
  6. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

Problem was, stock suspension and on a supermoto at pocono east. It was just a bunch of tools braggin who had the least amount of chicken strip. Here's the pic in question.

[​IMG]

7. RedReplicant

RedReplicant Well-Known Member

Jesus, what were your hot pressures?

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Wrong. Along with spring rate. And compound. Maybe.

You know, judging by the picture. :D

9. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

28 hot, spring was changed, 80mm of rider sag. Soft compound on a 85* sunny day in july. Stuck like glue though. Haha

10. We need more info :)

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I hate the internet sometimes ..

12. You sure do like it for promoting your sponsors :)

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Speaking of, your post count on random topics has gone up quite a bit. Run out of things to mod on the Jeep? ;)

14. No, travelling all over the world and up at odd hours. My Jeeps pretty bullet proof as it sits so no need to do that. Actually fishing right now, which I used my Jeep to get where I'm at. Then will ride the dirtbike for a while which is also modded to my liking but thanks for asking.

Attached Files:

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Good for you. Sounds great.

16. It is. Thanks for your concern.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: Have to admit I was kind of wondering the same thing.... :D

18. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Should be 23 hot

19. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You two lovebirds sound like that FedEx passive aggressive commercial. :crackup:

Chris likes this.
  20. We are buds so it's ok, he's not my type either, he's way too small :)