1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Moss explains tire wear patterns

Discussion in 'General' started by nyburner, Oct 18, 2016.

1. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I've had good experience with Moss in the past. Set a couple PB's one year and went faster than I ever did at Barber with his help. Would have won a couple national championships if not for some kid named McDonough .. :)

BTW, the level of knowledge he brings is somewhat relative to your experience. The "magic" tire wear stuff is nice, but it's still fairly generalized, given riders, bikes, etc - and of course opens up the internet world to speculation and interpretation. Work with him one on one and it's much more than that. YRMV.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

SpeedyE and nyburner like this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So many times people get slammed for an opinion yet rarely do the slammers offer anything up as an alternative. I look at 'em like this, "Put up or shut up."
    With a "Put up...", at least there's a chance of meaningful discussion...or more "Your a f*ckin' dumb-ass." I guess it depends on the intelligence and maturity of the parties involved.
    Mostly, it seems everyone here is a dumb-ass...except Lever. He always had an alternative method. :D

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would they wait to roll the flashy box? That's why the corners have an ambulance flag.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Who is Dave Moss? Got a cool last name and if he's even a woodpile relationship to Stirling he'd be sano as all f@ck in my book. :D

6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Lawd, you sure do get way out in the weeds sometimes often times. :D

7. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

As long as you view his and everyone else's (even Keith Code) advice as clues instead of facts, you'll be alright. Chassis tuning is shades of gray, not black and white. YouTube doesn't lend itself well to that concept. The more I learn, the less I "know".

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My mind is racing,
    the cats are pacing.
    cheeseburgers are cool
    hambugers are just a tool
    until you cheese
    Kill metalhead please please PLEASE!

9. mzarra

mzarra Well-Known Member

AFM can run the ambulance with bikes on track and I can remember a few times that they have done so; they might have even done so for me this month but I don't remember that part of the day :(

The track days just simply don't. My read of it is pretty simple: the track day providers do not trust the track day riders enough. We have a tremendous number of motorcycle riders up here and there just isn't enough trust thus the stop on track, etc.

10. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

Wtf's going on?

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

People that can't operate motorcycles are operating motorcycles.
    People that can assist those that can't operate motorcycles are being hampered from doing so by that same group of non-operators.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Sano? Are you NorCal set with Nick I.?

13. No idea. Apparently Dave Moss is tuning suspension on ambulances.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What Fred said is fairly relevant. Dave has to paint in very, very broad strokes because he's selling information in a very broad, general way because of how he's structured his business. It's like sag numbers. He has to sell a number because it's a number to sell.

The only real problem arises when people take these broad strokes and try to apply fine points to them without any additional information. It happens on here and it happens on Facebook and on every motorcycle forum on the planet. You cannot definitively tune suspension based on a picture of a tire without more data points. You can, however, talk in very broad generalizations and be kinda sorta right.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Dammit why can't I put together words like you:(

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I.Q. Deficiency? :D

17. metricdevilmoto

Before I did motorcycles, I worked in the publishing industry while I beat on E30 BMWs. Both skillsets have been proven useful in my chosen profession. :D

Also, I have more of the stuff you were looking for...

daveknievel likes this.
  18. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

On another forum I got beat up pretty bad about a pic of a tire I posted. Nobody had any real answers, but kept referring to Dave Moss vids on youtube. I wrote it off as a bunch of internet jerkoffs that were heroes in their own minds.

19. metricdevilmoto

Talk to the guy that built your suspension and is familiar with the track you race on instead of the Internet.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Internet probably built his suspension, too.