1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CROSSFIT

Discussion in 'General' started by WANABE RACER, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They use them for storage of the cult materials?

2. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Negative. All specialized athletes cross-train. There's a reason.

The biggest thing for me was that I got more explosive during mass starts and was able to maintain a burst for longer and recover faster.

3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Its what they call their gyms.

Maybe because is filled with tools.

t500racer, Gino230, Steeltoe and 2 others like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Wait, so you're saying kipping pull-ups are not real pull-ups? Tell me more. I've never heard this argument...

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

so you're saying... that strengthening your muscles... and increasing your breathing AND muscle endurance... allows you to be stronger??? which can crossover to doing other activities better???

[​IMG]

6. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

Gieco Honda MX riders train with Crossfit.... But you know doesnt really help you train anything just gets you hurt.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Ask a Marine to count those pull-swings. They'll laugh at you.

This is a pull up

Reference: youtube.com/watch?v=y3GlKQ0EI8k

Good old school weight training is not just about how much weight you lift for X reps.It's about efficiency. The goal maximum results by working through proper form to
    get all the muscle fibers and muscle groups involved in a movement to work as close to 100% together in order to move the resistance from start to finish, and at that finish
    all muscles involved finish at max contraction. None of that happens in Cross Fit. It's just a bunch of swinging weights, yeah..you work up a sweat...big deal. Imagine how much
    more explosive your bike starts would be and for how much longer they'd last if you trained for efficiency instead of swinging weights around. As I've said to many guys in the gym being sloppy:

"If God gave you three inches...do you put in two? Or do you give her all three and go so hard your bean bag is slapping?"

Your efforts in moving weights around would be better achieved if you started a moving company..then at least you'd be moving boxes around and getting paid for it.
    But keep one box. You'll need it to stash away all your Cross-Fit gear when you latch on to the next fad.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Ken Roczen actually got hurt doing crossfit and waited to make a big deal of it until he got to the track.:D

badmoon692008 and Kolbe like this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

It was a joke. Serious question though, why do you care? If Crossfit is a cult, then hating Crossfit must be a religion, because the haters are much louder here than the cult-fitters.

Crossfit is Crossfit, and a Marine Corps PFT is something different. Interestingly, I train with two Marines. When a workout calls for kipping pull-ups, they do kipping pullups. When it calls for strict, they do that. Get it?

Since we're on the subject, who's a better athlete? Phil Heath or Mat Fraser?

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I don't really...if people want to waste their efforts in the gym...so be it. Only reason I care is because/when I want to use the equipment, they're wasting the equipment's time and causing
    unnecessary wear and tear on it, too.

Better athlete...honestly, neither...they're just workout warriors. IMHO, you train FOR a sport..you don't turn your training INTO a sport. It's why they call the Mr. Olympia a "SHOW".

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

How is it a waste? It looks to me like Crossfit has gotten more people in better shape than anything else I've seen in my lifetime.

You don't turn training into a sport? Racing turns transportation into a sport. Is that wrong too?

Mud Whistle and Kolbe like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Plenty of fads over the years have done the exact same thing. Given the obesity rates keep going up I'm guessing it's not getting more fit than the other fads :D

13. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

You were doing ok, but this is not helping. :D

14. Kolbe

Kolbe Well-Known Member

I will dedicate my 17.2 open performance to all the Crossfit haters on the beeb. :crackup:

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So if I kip on a bar and end up with it at waist high, or straight arms above the rings does it still count as a kipping pullup even though it's easier than a pullup. :) Used to be a gymnast so kips and pullups aren't the same thing to me. :D

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So you don't think that doing sprint and interval training on the bike would work better, cause that's what cyclists do to achieve the same effect.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

MHO:

Crossfit is great for people who need cheerleaders, and CAN be great for everyone else, so long as they're looking to get good at doing Crossfit workouts, and not some other activity that requires different training.

A friend of mine runs a Crossfit affiliate in SC. I do not do Crossfit, but knowing someone who runs one, I get a lot of insight into HIS location.

They are "affiliates." You could go to one that sucks, and one right across town that is awesome.

It's worth a try.

Cajun Kid, JBraun and Kolbe like this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

No, you're correct. I was cycling also, so the gym was in addition to that. I agree that the best way to get good at a thing is to do the thing. Definitely not suggesting cyclists miss cycling workouts in favor of Crossfit, just saying cross training is good. :beer:

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

And who the f#ck are you? You trying to turn arguing on the BBS into a sport too? :D

ScottyRock155 and TurboBlew like this.
  20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

We do a ton of ring and bar muscle ups also so you'd crush that.

As a gymnast, you'd get a laugh out of the excitement over muscle ups in crossfit. It's not something that most people can do, but it's a perfunctory thing for a gymnast.