1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CROSSFIT

Discussion in 'General' started by WANABE RACER, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i just saw a video yesterday that was covering "off-season antics" of the current Downhill World Cup Champ. he used to race moto-x and so he still rides for training/fun and he was riding with his long time buddy who is like a multi-time baja champion. dude was kinda husky. burly with some love handles is different than cheetos fingers gamer fat though. i'm sure that dude still has some solid fitness.

i feel like generally... the more variables there are in the type of racing thru terrain or obstacles or rider/racer involvement... drag car, to road race car, to rally car, to GP motorbike, to more powerful GP motorbike, to long ass road racing, to long ass dirt racing... the less being a jockey matters. McPint and Dunlop i'm sure have more than their fair share of beers in their bellies... doesn't seem to make a damn difference for them. when the pavement is perfect though, and the course is small, and the machines are close in performance (especially the smaller ones with less power)... every little bit helps. cars just eliminate that much more of the physicality of it, until you get into F1 cars where the strain literally requires you to be at peak fitness. to race a 911 around a road course though... ehh...

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Im sure they have loads of riding experience to offset the fitness difference.

3. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Can't read through 7 pages about CF.

Look into SOFLETE. Functional fitness. Loads of different programs you can choose (do you want to look like a gorilla or like a triathlete), workouts come to your phone with descriptions. Some of the workouts include things like pools, rowing machines, rucking and even running sometimes. Oh, and there's a shooting program as well, if you're into that sort of stuff. I tried the "Strength" program and I followed the programing and it worked. People have a hard time believing that the workouts are "short" and don't require hours at the gym. They focus on good workouts, eating and recovering. It works.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Newsflash: Soflete is crossfit, but somehow, against all odds, even more self aggrandizing. :D

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5axis and JBraun like this.
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

I've never done Crossfit, so I can't compare them together although I never did a single movement with weights "for time" or a single kipping pullup. Some of the SFLT guys do some of the workouts in CF gyms, although I always suspected that was because they always had the equipment. I built a SFLT gym for cheap beyond the weight set I already had. And I have a pool, so that helped. I don't do much rowing, I prefer to ride a mtb.

Unless of course your comment was typed with sarcasm, in which case I have no response.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

WANABE RACER and SnacktimeKC like this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That was really weird, although the website is earning its name with the title. A pec tear is a major injury requiring surgery. Most guys just pulled a muscle.

The workout in question was basically 45 dumbbell snatches and ring dips. Doesn't seem terrible for that level of athlete, but I did think it was stupid to make them use the same muscle groups again two days later.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not sure what I'm more impressed by, the lifter's complete lack of self-preservation or the observers complete lack of instructions/supervision of a dude about to fold himself in 1/2

[​IMG]

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

No true.
    A pec tear can occur at the muscle / tendon which can not be repaired.
    Tendon off the bone which can be repaired.
    Tendon ruptures canalso be repaired.

I've had a pec tear.
    It's not pulling a muscle.

Pec tears are very rare.

Even more than one tear would be a lot.

It's the sport not the athletes.

Ride safe,
    AAron

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where the hell was he going with that? Was he going to press it over his head?

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I understand the difference. Just saying that there's no chance that 25 out of 320 extremely fit men suffered a legitimate pec tear from doing 45 ring dips. It's just a sensational article.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm hoping he was just trying to do a power clean, but that plan failed early on.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Those fat bars are ridiculous. Even if you do a clean properly (unlike the retard in the video) you still look stupid.

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

work out fail videos are some of the hardest to watch yet funniest.

my crossfit type membership just ended. I really liked it and the people but it was too expensive and was a waste since I wasn't eating well. Also I sprained my achilles twice and hurt my lower back because I wasn't completely careful a couple times. Going to try cutting beer and rowing and see how that goes. The alcohol being the biggest thing. Damn music business