1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching kids

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Aug 19, 2016.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

This is sarcasm font, right?

2. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Not really...learning that it's ok to quit because the other team is better than you is, well, learning that its ok to quit. IMHO

BigBird likes this.
  3. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Sorry, I was referring to the part about teachers not passing the kids who are failing, esp the ones that are just shy of a rounding error.

lopitt85 likes this.
  4. lopitt85

Within rounding distance is understandable. I guess my point was more about teachers won't pass someone who is failing because it's hard, and the kids cant just quit. It was less about the percentage

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Unfortunately, this is actually the case nowadays. Teachers effectively are not allowed to fail kids now. It’s honestly fucking pathetic. I totally get where you’re coming from but the sad truth is reality is exactly what you’re saying.

7. lopitt85

If that's true, then it's no wonder why I see so many young adults who are willing to quit.

I cant tell you how many 18-22 year olds quit during training, and started crying, when they were pushed the least little bit. I'm only 36 and the overall difference in coping skills and discipline to gut it out is staggering.

Of course there are exceptions to everything. There are some youngsters who are tough enough to hack it through another depression, and some older folks who couldn't fight their ways out of a wet paper bag. But in general, I see way too many quitters who are younger.

Ask my 7 year old son if he's ever beat me in a foot race. The day he finally does, he will have earned it, and it will be that much sweeter for him. Until then...he better learn how to get faster :crackup: because I want to go undefeated.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    bullockcm and BigBird like this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Damn right. I won't go into detail about how this came about in our school system as it will quickly get political but I'm 5 years younger than you and it started about the time I was in high school.

As far as my kid, I'm right there with you. Naturally, I hope my son loves motorcycle racing and mountain biking as much as I do. He's off to a good start as he loves his balance bike and has loved doing "zoomies" on it since he was 6 months old. He's 2 now and I used to push him around on it until he was big enough to reach the ground. If he does grow to love those things, I can't wait for the day that he can beat me. But I'll fight him harder along the way than any other competition he'll ever have. He'll have to earn it and he'll take some mighty daddy beatdowns along the way. But it'll just make it that much sweeter the day he finally does beat me. One of my primary goals in raising him is instilling a work ethic stronger than everyone else's and making him tougher and more resilient than those he'll be competing with, whether it's in motorsport, for a college scholarship, or for some suit & tie job.

BigBird and lopitt85 like this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I'm chiming in without reading the past eight pages, but I used to coach swimming and one of the things I learned early on was to ask families joining the team: "Are you here to win, or are you here to have fun?"

I'm fine coaching for either goal, but I can't always coach for both.

lopitt85 and BigBird like this.
  10. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

So my kid started football yesterday....he's 6. Today they had practice. There was one kid that wasn't listening, throwing his helmet all around the field, and running up to the other kids and picking them up and body slamming them. The coaches acted like he didn't exist. Nobody ever said a word to him till he finally kicked another kid in the back with his cleats and then it was a mother and not any of the coaches. I'm new to the whole kid's sports scene. Is this normal?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

yeap, normal. Can't call out some kid at the risk of butthurting the parents.

12. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Gotcha.... but I think the parents just dropped him off and left.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did they at least show up and pick him up on time? I babysat a kid for 45 minutes past practice when the parents were "just up the street."

They were still in Vienna having beers. :mad:

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

In my parent meetings, I required one parent to be in attendance at practices mainly for safety. But I have had kids that thought they ran the show until I told them to kick rocks. When your parents pay for you to play in our league, we have awaiting list. Peace out.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I dumped my kid off at a try out today, was late to pick her up and the coach dropped her off at the house.

The coach used that time to "pump her to move teams" and was not mad, shit she ended the tryout early to talk with her. :crackup:

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Update, we finished the travel season in the B group as the 1st seed, I had to take over as HC for the playoffs, and the girls won. Yeah!

Also, we played the same team that got all bent out shape in the semi-finals, and I went and talked to the other HC after the game. I apologized for not knowing the right score, etc, and he was like his coach was wrong for cursing. So at least that's over.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It'll come...and then you'll be saying god dammit!:D The only activity that I think I may be able to compete is racing, but it's been 10 years since we were on track together. Other than that he kicks my ass in everything...hockey, tennis, bicycling, swimming, you name it. I like to think I coached him well.

lopitt85, BigBird and DmanSlam like this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah

or getting old sucks

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Actually just the opposite...he pushes me to try my hardest even though I can't win. So it keeps this old bastard young. I forgot one thing, I can still drink him under the table:D (not exactly proud of that).

BigBird likes this.