1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaching kids

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Aug 19, 2016.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Kenny Roberts said it best; We`re raising a nation of pussies" :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um.... He was talking about your generation when he said that....

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Hahahaha...don`t think so scooter, I read that @ 35 years old...:crackup:

Now I know why there`s no middle finger emoji....:D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

You pretty much got it. They are useful, and I wanted to use their expertise, but they want to control the practice. So, I told them to plan practice and basically let me know how to help, after we talked it out when yesterday's practice was over. But yet one has to send a long email, and I mean LONG, in the early morning. This outlined everything that went wrong: I didn't have the right # of stations, or the groups broken down properly, and how they feel their inputs are being heard. Hello, I was at two practices, and Mr. Email wasn't even there at the first one, and only listened to his buddy's side..

Yesterday with the wind it was like 35 degrees, and some improvisation needed to happen to keep the players from complaining and keep the enjoyment factor up. That was "unacceptable"

I thought we were past this, and have a plan. The dude needs to see Frozen, and Let it Go! Worst is yet to come game-time. For rec I can care less about wins and losses, and more of everyone getting a chance, etc, but 2 of these dudes are all about that we must win life, so there's probably more to come from this story.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  6. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

I can’t make it through this thread lol. My 2 year old daughter has responsibilities.......

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You to the PITA.

upload_2021-4-22_17-22-16.jpeg

BigBird likes this.
  8. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates

casjoker, SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  9. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I've been coaching youth football for better part of a decade. The way I see it, grades 3/4 I'm coaching kittens. Gotta make sure they have their ball of yarn to play with. Keep their interest, or the kittens wander. Grades 5/6/7 medium cats. You can progressively work them harder and teach more advanced concepts, but make sure the cats have their play time too. They won't want to come back if they don't have fun. Grades 8 and up, big cats. Lot more work, less play time. But still give them 10-15 minutes of fun time a week. As big cats, playing time is earned. Mediums and kittens get as equal playing time as feasible.
    I had a lot more fun as an assistant than being head coach. Always have a practice plan.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How old are you now? 80? He said that a looooonnnnggggg time ago :D

cav115 likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And the little shits still chew with their mouths open and don’t know how to close a door they opened :mad:

cav115, StaccatoFan and BigBird like this.
  12. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Funny I have an identical twin brother, he is a business man with a wife and 2 kids and a Ferrari. Spent the last 15 years wasting away in tropical places 3rd world lifestyle, quite different but still meet up on some kind of board sport every year. Surfing, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, snowboarding, everything involves a board, lol

BigBird likes this.
  13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

So just a update. The Mr. Email coach, whos actual day job is a coach at a school, sent a practice plan, basically down to the minute. I mean, he wasn't there when the other coach was trying to take over, so he could have been like hey, I do this, let me show you the way, would have been the better approach. But also, don't try to take over if you didn't want to, either. anyways....

It worked well, everyone stayed busy. I was tired for sure. There wasn't much laughter or smiling, but everyone was busy, and they seemed to hopefully learn something.

We should hopefully all be reminded

43bba719-e825-4a0d-b80a-3b94cc007047.png

15. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I coached my nephew's flag football team a few years ago. Zero problems from the parents. I was only as stern as you need to be with kids that young to keep them focused and not chasing butterflies. Kids would have to run sprints if they misbehaved in school. Lost playing time if they misbehaved in school or missed practice, etc. Parents were supportive and would come to me about their kid needing some extra "exercise" when necessary. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the kids and had lots of fun. I'm assuming a lot of the headaches described in this thread are from parents living through their children in the higher age group brackets.

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

My daughter asked me not to be head coach again. She was like the other coaches try to take over, and you are not involved in doing the activities in practice as much. I like when you do the drills with us.

She's a wise one :)

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

After all the drama....we won our first game 8-3. mr email coach daughter, who is an incredible player, even in 3rd grade had 2 inside the park HRs and my daughter walked twice and struck out 5 in 2 innings.

It was a good night :)

18. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

At the end of the day, it's a kids game. There are no college scouts, no scholarships on the line and little kids really don't give two shits about winning. They just want to have fun with their friends. If it's not fun, they won't want to keep doing it.
    I have two sons that play baseball. The oldest plays park n rec with his buddies. I love going to his games. The vast majority of parents don't give a shit and just cheer on the players.
    My younger son is on a competitive select baseball team. I despise going to his games because of the other parents. They are screaming and yelling at every perceived bad pitch or play. They are literally hanging on every pitch. The tension is palpable and I don't like it. Parents have been steadily sucking the fun out of youth sports over the last 2 decades. Pressure to perform unfortunately trumps fun in a lot of cases.

BigBird likes this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of this but it depends on the kid. Some are super competitive, as I was as a kid. Even at 7-10 I wanted to win. But the parents who are going crazy in the stands are ruining the fun. Let the kids be competitive. The parents should just support the kids and have fun as spectators.

I loved football and basketball, but I loved winning more. I played to win at everything. Video games, tic tac toe, spitting contest...didn't matter what it was, I wanted to win. And lots of kids I played against were the same way. But that was self driven, not driven by a parent/coach. You can tell which kids play for fun and which ones want to win.

I let my kids decide what/if they want to compete. So far they haven't shown the same level of competitiveness I had, and that's ok. My son (7) plays soccer because it's fun. My daughter (13) has tried basketball, soccer, volleyball, cross country and track. So far she likes track and volleyball the most. She does it because it's fun and is finding her own competitive streak. If it grows, I'll nurture it, but I'm not going to force it.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Holy shit, why would anyone coach kids?

Just finished today some "court funnies" that would make *Brooke laugh and say that shit is 'tarded." :rolleyes::crackup:

* I am in no way saying Brooke, Cook or Ruby Mooke or anyone with a name similar is a f@ckin' retard who sues over nothing. I used that name because brooke shields is still a hottie
    but not as hot as Uma.