1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Where were you able to put it on consignment? The biggest benefit for a dealer is they can do financing. Since I went to a Fun Mover I am finding that selling my 2018 toy hauler Most people do not have the cash for such a large purchase.

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Yep. It’s tough. There has to be financing for most buyers.

First, I tried the only local dealer, because they sell only pull-behinds and just had two older, Class A consignments. It sat there the whole summer, with little interest. I decided to take it back to where I bought, because they have volume, a metro location, and the right staff. Even so, it took 8mos to move it.

Edit: Didn’t realize that was your TH. I looked at the 29XX model of a Fury and the Hyperlite(?) version of it, before buying what I did. They’re a really nice trailer, at a good pricepoint, with good quality.

APA likes this.
  3. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Selling the Toy Hauler after upgrading to a Super C Chevy C5500 Fun Mover.

Attached Files:

ducnut likes this.
  4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We just sold ours to a Michigan dirt tracker. He got a great deal. It will be hauling cars around now.
    This retiring from racing/ track riding kinda sucks.

last barber trip. ed.jpg

APA likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

IMO, something like this would give you a better experience than a new, gas-powered Class A.

166F6698-60AD-467F-B00F-842408D6D8D9.jpeg

6. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

My issue with that is.
    1: I dont think I wanna go that big

2: I work on semis for a living, I know what the cost of parts are for diesels.

I'm leaning toward a 2010ish and up 34ft or so gaser. Would like the bigger 22.5 tires, leveling Jack's, wife says big fridge and a big bath and shes good. Lol

ducnut likes this.
  7. assjuice cyrus

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

1.) It’s only ~6’ longer. :D

2.) It only has 35K miles. I can’t imagine it could need much of anything, other than basic service items and possibly tires ($$$). With you working in the diesel industry, you know how to properly care for one. With such low mileage over the years, I’d definitely buy a case of fuel filters and fuel treatment to clean out the system of algae. Conversely, you’ll be engine swapping the gasser engine at least 3X-4X(150K-200K service life) before the pusher needs an overhaul.

Further, the resell on this one is getting bottomed out, whereas a gasser would continue to decline. But, the initial costs is still pretty significant, so I understand.

Looks like a really nice motorhome for the money. And, bunk beds are popular for families. Kids have their own space, minimizes fights, keeps kids out of the master, and they don’t require living space alterations for kids to be able to nap, lay around to game, and so forth. I’m thinking you mentioned you have a young one? Bunk beds may be a strong consideration. I only have one child, but, we always had her best friend with us, as well. I couldn’t imagine NOT having bunk beds, with kids.

9. APA

APA Well-Known Member

better experience till you try to get a diesel worked on and are paying a LOT more at the fuel pump and oil changes. lol Diesels cost a LOT more.

I have been 100% happy with both my team Suzuki Gas V10 E450 Box Van (for sale BTW) and my Chevy 5500 8.1 both with gas motors. The 8.1 runs like a diesel with torque and 5000 max rpm.

I personally will only go to a diesel when there is no other option.

ducnut likes this.
  10. assjuice cyrus

That's funny. We thought we liked the more living space instead of bunk beds. We have 2 small kids,one 8yr old and one 2yr old. Our thought was most the a's we looked had the bed that lowers down from above the driver area, and little one on the fold out bed either from table or couch. But we really liked the bigger living space, fridge, and bath room over the bunks. Now that was just 3 we looked at. The next show in Jan is alot bigger we may find out something different.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Almost no one will work on a gas motorhome, as I found out. For an oil change, I went to three different independent garages, an independent speed lube, and two Ford dealers, and all refused me. I ended up having to find a commercial Ford dealer. And, they have only one service bay and one repair bay for motorhomes, so they’re booked out a ways. With a diesel pusher, just about any of the speed lubes, engine service centers, and specific truck dealers will work on them. “Locally” to me, I have one gasser service center and at least 8 diesel options. On the open road, those numbers could vary even further, depending where one is at.

Fuel costs aren’t what you might think. When the gasser is getting 8mpg ($2.59/gal-locally) and the pusher is doing 14mpg ($2.86/gal-locally), you’re looking at 40%+ better fuel economy. If you’re pulling anything substantial, in headwinds, in mountains, and/or running the generator, the diesel will further outpace the gas. Plus, the diesel will do it all with much less drama. If you haven’t driven a Class A gasser against a diesel pusher, you owe it to yourself to do so. Huge difference.

Oil changes aren’t what you may think, either. Depending on the coach size and engine spec, it should be around ~10L to ~11L. You’re looking at ~10gal capacity, which is roughly 6X a V-10. With modern diesel oils, a commercial engine can run as long as 60K miles (my employer’s current intervals) on an oil change. That’s substantially longer than a gasser. I gave $68, for the last OLF on the chassis and generator (1qt of oil, no filter). If you did 10K miles oil changes on the gasser (way stretching it, IMO, for how hard the engine works), you’re looking $68 X 6 = $408 in 60K miles of services, at my closest, commercial Ford dealer. Even worse with shorter oil change intervals, like I’d do. T/A, Speedco, and others will do the same level services, plus fuel filters, brake inspection, coolant inspection, on a diesel coach for $300-$320, plus generator (should be under $50). Obviously, one is going to be subject to their location and so forth, but, basic services of a diesel aren’t what one would think. And, if I were doing my own service work, like the OP might, I’d dump my used motor oil straight into the fuel tank, for even more value (pre-emission diesel).

There are countless threads on the RV forums, comparing gasser to diesels. The overwhelming consensus, factoring everything, is a pusher really is the way to go. When comparing a nice, older coach to a new Class A, the numbers for the pusher get even better. My salesman, an avid RV’er (at least 1-2 long weekends/month, plus his entire vacation), will tell you the same.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I happened to be sitting in a bunk bed unit, when a family came through. The positive reaction of the kids to the bunk beds was obvious. Even grandparents, close to their grandchildren, comment on the value in bunk beds.

I’d strongly suggest talking to salesmen and any families you can find that own a bunk bed unit for feedback. The giveaway is bunk bed units have stacked, porthole-style windows on their sides. Even if you see a motorhome like that in a gas station, go up and ask the owners about their experience. I did just that, outside Knoxville, TN, when I saw a style of coach I’d never seen before. The gracious and incredibly kind owners gave me a full tour of thing and conveyed their likes/dislikes.

13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I don't have kids so the bunk beds really don't have any allure for me. We prefer sleeping options that can be put away as we spend most of our time in the RV living and not sleeping. That said, I remember when I was a kid and we camped with the pop-up camper, I really liked having a whole wing as my own personal bedroom while my poor sister had to sleep on a converted dinette.

In regards to the diesel vs gasser debate, I have often thought if I were to buy another RV, I would go the diesel pusher route, but I have never owned or used one so I can't really compare. I have experienced the same issues in servicing the Ford chassis. Fortunately I have managed to find a couple of places around here that can and will do it, but they are usually backed up for weeks. I do most of the servicing myself and that is one of the reasons why. Fortunately oil changes are pretty easy as everything is easily accessible underneath and there is room to crawl under there without jacking it up. The Outlaw has a nearly 80 gallon gas tank. I wish we got 8mpg; filling up that tank is quite painful.

ducnut likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Diesel semi conversion. Can get any work done on it at any truck stop anywhere. A lot of them won't touch pushers because it's just too hard to get to things. Granted there are plenty of rv places that will for a nice hourly rate.

5axis likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Glad you posted real-world feedback that reinforces my own experience and what I’ve gathered from others.

The gas pump is the worst. I hated to even pull up to it. Even though I’d generally run ~59mph on the dial, with the generator running to cool the coach, I swear I could almost see the gas gauge needle moving.

16. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Service items on a pusher are quite accessible and most anywhere will do it. It’s the engine repairs most refuse. Given my experience with dealerships, truck stop garages, etc, I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. The best diagnostic/repair services I’ve received are from the manufacturer-specific facilities and most of them will do the extensive repairs on pusher drivetrains.

I’ve not seen any RV dealerships that’ll touch the drivetrain. Again, I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. Any mechanically apt person is probably better than some of the warm bodies I’ve met in RV dealerships. It just takes a bit of time and research to learn how the different coach systems work and perform repairs, one’s self. Nothing about them is too awfully difficult.

Super C+ units like you have are another world, cost-wise. If I were spending $400K+, it’d be the way I’d go. There’s no denying the robustness of the chassis and having the radiator out front is where it should be.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mine is cheaper than that :D

Overall I totally agree, the systems on all of them aren't complicated and there is no reason to pay others to work on them.

ducnut likes this.
  18. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Both my V10 Ford and 8.1 Chevy use 6 quarts and I run Mobile 1 synthetic for the extended milage intervals of 1 year or 10,000 miles. I run Mobile 1 in my generators too. V10 purrs at 170k miles and gets 12 MPG. Fun Mover varies from 7-9 MPG.

I have always compared price at the pump and MPG and yes diesel gets 1-2 MPG better but still not worth it at the fuel pump IMO.

One thing I wish they had was gasoline available at the truck pumps. Would make filling up easier than blocking off the pumps.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ours gets 7mpg give or take- and that is running the genset most of the time to keep the pups cool. Don't think it cares if it's towing anything, never noticed a big change in mileage.

20. APA

APA Well-Known Member

I have people asking to buy my Fun Mover at just about every race it does suck that they no longer making them other than class A. My wife does not get it yet but I love the big truck robustness of the chassis and drive train.

BTW just saw yesterday that Winebago bought Newmar.