1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've been doing research a bit lately and it looks to be standard on some and optional on many.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m all for it. If you calculate your hourly wattage use, you can offset that with solar generation, which puts minimal use on your generator. From what I’ve read of boondockers, most still fire up their generators for an hour in the morning, just to ensure they’re topped up and keep systems in good health.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think a lot of that can be attributed to an all aluminum construction.

418 and ducnut like this.
  4. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Dealer told me that my toyhauler had a zamp solar system already in it. Got home and in a week Batteries were not staying full. Contacted Zamp and they said to check the fuse up by the panel on the roof. Went up and ....no solar panel.

Discovered that trailer manufacturers are putting the Zamp system and wiring in but no solar panel so system is NOT complete.

My wife uses a cpap and using the cig plug in batteries can power it so will be putting a solar system into the fun mover.

Having a working Solar system also means I do not have to plug the trailer or RV in at home.

ducnut likes this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

One exception to that is you have to have the main panel turned on to power up most systems. Many people think the batteries will automatically charge, but, that’s incorrect. If the main panel isn’t turned on, the charging system won’t work. You’d have to wire a stand-alone charging system to avoid this.

6. fastfreddie

They're basically a car hauler with given second thought living quarters. The garage is the living room and the living appointments are as industrial as those in a warship. If you're gonna do battle, tho'...
    ATC has tiers of design implementation. Basic, upgraded and bells-n-whistles. There is a fourth tier where the customer sits with ATC's engineers and the design is whatever the customer wants, within the confines of ATC's practiced capabilities. I'd be a tier 4 customer until my plan exceeds their limitations...a real possibility.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not sure that’s a terrible thing. The rest of the industry builds everything out of MDF, laminates, etc, and none of that withstands heavy use and high miles very well.

8. fastfreddie

Not per se, but they have their standard configurations that look more like the inside of a racing transporter's work shop. IF I wanted to eat in the garage, I'd have no desire for a separate garage.

ducnut likes this.
  9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

You'd be surprised how many ATC customers (myself included) see that as a positive, not a negative. Less stuff to break, and with the minimalistic layout and creature comforts only (none of the "fluff" that just serves to drive up weight and reduce cargo capacity), you can be sure that it will function in year 20 just as it did in year 1.

Now, that's not to say they will never offer a unit with a slide-out (they have a custom Quest line that does offer that, I believe), but I want something that is comparatively light and built to withstand the test of time. I've had my trailer stored outside in Florida for the last 3 years and not once have I thought, "Man, I should really go do some spot checks for leaks to make sure there isn't any water intruding...."

ducnut, 5axis and 418 like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If you can haul a 5th wheel trailer give Bison Trailer a call. They normally build horse trailers with living quarters but have recently built a couple units with open garage space in the back instead of stalls. Their living quarters are nicer than most TV toy hauler builds and the GM came from ATC. They will do some custom things as well as standard floor plans. And have AL models.

11. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I walked through a 30’ ATC 5th wheel at the Charlotte show last weekend. It was last years model, and while it was fairly utilitarian, it was solid as a rock and light to boot. Waaay out of my weight and price range, but it was sweet.
    Everything else was pretty lame in terms of build.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A's also have more usable living space in them, the bunk in a C is pretty useless for anything other than storage.

If we sell the big RV we're looking at tow behind trailers and a big SUV (need room for 3 dogs while trippin).

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

We went through the exact same stuff looking at them a couple weeks back - our main difference is 5'ers are out for now and not looking at toyhaulers. Has to be easy bed access while on the road, have to be able to have at least two recliners and a couch that can see the tv, no 8 cubic foot fridges (12 is a minimum), counter space/kitchen has to be set up so I can cook in it - too many are using short slides and putting the cooktop in the slide which means I would slam my head if I lean in to get to the rear burners. Also must have one couch/bed combo for the grandkid to sleep on as well as recliners for us to chill in. Another think to watch is bathroom sink size/location. Sucks if you can't lean over it to wash your face, had that issue in the last RV. Definitely must have 50amp and 2 ac's already installed unless the price is low enough to offset buying and installing the second one. Oh yeah - and after seeing them in person a real table and chairs not a dinette.

Our favorite at the show we hit was this layout -

[​IMG]

14. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

We've decided to start looking at RV's and are considering the idea of the class A with the trailer behind it instead of a toy hauler. I thought shopping for bumper pull toy haulers had lots of options but class A's are completely overwhelming!

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've got 60,000 miles on my 42' TH'er. It's a heavy beast. I wanted a new truck so the F350 diesel dually was not a problem. I get 9.5 mpg in PA mountains at 65 to 70 mph, not bad but not great. Biggest gripe is tires, I go through them pretty fast but I think that's true no matter what. Next RV will be smaller, we thought we do more family stuff but it hasn't worked out that way, may go the bumper pull way as having the truck available to tour away from camp is a plus.

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You don't unhook at the campsite right now? Why would a 5th wheel be different than a bumper tow? Understanding that I don't own a 5th wheel myself, but I spend many weekends a year traveling with my best friend, and the first thing that we do at camp is unhook and level his 5th wheel trailer. The only time that we don't unhook is during a quick overnight at truck stops. Or is it the 350 that makes it difficult to tour away from camp?

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

18. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Why do people try to sell something like that with just 1 picture?

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

sent message via burner... stinks like a nigerian prince problem...lol

20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member