1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

The age old question.
    I have had both (24’ C with a 6x10 trailer vs. F350 with a 36’ TH) and the verdict is... we aren’t sure. There are so many pros/cons to both we don’t have a clear cut favorite.
    Probably not helpful at all, sorry. :crackup:

assjuice cyrus and TurboBlew like this.
  2. t11ravis

I really think a smallish A (30’ or so) with a 6x12 trailer May be the sweet spot.

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

RV vs TH.....Depends. I went with TH because of the utility of taking the truck out and leaving the TH in the paddock/camp ground. Also my old PU truck was about to die (or so I thought) and the new diesel would then do double duty. I don't know how the original poster would be able to handle 6 people and a dog in a PU truck...even a crew cab.

TurboBlew, t11ravis and ducnut like this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Aren’t those A’s usually right at the top of their gvw even before you load them up or attach a trailer? I say Super C and 7x16

5. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

The fact that while driving, you cannot have any person or pets in the TH (understandable) is the reason we are not considering the truck/TH combo. Not sure how Michael Knight got away with it...

I've also considered a full size conversion van :)

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:stupid:
    Not necessarily true... Could be a local/State issue but if it's a fifth wheel, the windows are safety glass and there is a dedicated means of communication between the two vehicles, you're good to go.

That would be a Class B RV. RoadTreks, converted Sprinters, et al and doable, but check tow ratings.

7. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

View attachment 157378 [/QUOTE]
    Wrong. A's are usually have quite a bit of GVW and GCW room. And he wants to stay under 30ft. No super Cs in that size.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

Our used class A has treated us well... it's a 2002 with almost 1/4 million miles on it and it's going strong.

I do like the floorplan of a class A over a C or a super-C.... when parked the driver and co-pilot seats spin around and that space is usable seating - you don't have that in a C. Plus, if I want to pull off the road to grab a drink from the fridge or pee, it's super easy since it's all the same space. When stopped in Atlanta traffic I can set the brake and stand up and stretch - can't do that in a C......

I agree on seeing it with the slides both out and in - ours is *tight* with the slides in... I don't really mind, but with the dogs it can be submarine tight... "down ladder - make a hole!".

I don't know what the gasser class A's are like on towing capacity.... ours is a diesel, which I prefer for towing. The maintenance really isn't that much more, and with an older diesel you don't need to deal with all the def-shit....

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Actually, it’s the Class C’s that are right at their limit. Some owners of 30’+ with slides report their rear axles are over their door sticker ratings and may only have a few hundred pounds before they’re at their gross limits. That’s what makes the Class A desirable, if you’re looking beyond 25’ length.

Super C’s are usually 35’ and start at $150K, if looking at new. I considered one, but, the only differences are the coach furnishings, fancy paintwork, and being on a diesel chassis. At that price, one can get into a really nice, used motorcoach.

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Talking to people who’ve done both, it’s a toss-up. It really depends on your priorities. Do you want the convenience of people moving about the coach? Do you want ease of serviceability? Do you want to be contained in one unit? Etc.

11. t11ravis

Good point, forgot about that.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

as someone thats done both with female and canine passengers... the truck is alot more intimate. Hard for passengers to get comfortable on longer trips.
    In a class A with 4 guys, 2 gals and 2 dogs... people were able to nap, cook, watch tv and use the restroom. Mine has a 400-500 mile range on a tank.
    You can do rhe same with a 5th wheel just need 2 way com. Also its harder to check on the driver without stopping.

ducnut likes this.
  13. t11ravis

So we can have people in the TH going down the road? How did I not know that?

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

we used to do it in the RC featherlight all the time. Hard to cram 5 folks in a tractor cab. I think its a DOT reg...they have to have seat belts

15. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

It varies by state so just need to check each one you'd be traveling in. MN allows it in 5th wheels but not bumper pulls (I don't know why one but not the other).

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same here. Our big one is starting to be slow going in so I'll have to climb around a lube stuff and check that it's adjusted right or whatever it needs but not having one is absolutely not an option.

17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I've been throwing around the idea of ditching the truck / toyhauler for a Class C. It was just me going to the track for the last 7 years, but now I have a wife and kid tagging along. I thought the Class C with a small enclosed would give me the most overall utility and functionality (for both track and 'normal' camping, but now ya'll got me considering a Class A. I deliberately went with a trailer without a slide when I bought the toyhauler, but having been in a lot of different setups, it seems like it would be totally worth the potential maintenance hassle to have it. I'm not ever contending with an unusually cold climate in Southern California, so I am not as worried about the potential drafts. We don't even get that much rain, so the waterproofing of the slide area isn't a huge concern either.

My biggest issue when looking at Class Cs is finding one with a closed off, dedicated bedroom. The toyhauler has a bedroom at front that closes off, and I love that. It makes it a lot easier when freeloaders stay in the trailer, and I can see the value of being able to close the kid off now! The Class Cs that I have been looking at simply close off with a curtain...

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Go to a large dealer and have a look around.

When the slides are in, the Class A becomes the best option for livability going down the road. They’re a wider coach than a Class B or Class C, so there’s a lot more room in them. Plus, they’re longer, so they’re more apt to have a dinette, a couch or two, and maybe even a recliner. You’re not going to find that in a shorter Class C. Again, if you’re looking at a 31’ Class C and wanting some of those features, you’re going to be up against weight limit issues.

A separate bedroom is going to put you into a Class A or Super C. There’s no way around it.

Greenhound386 and t11ravis like this.
  19. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Great advice. I've just been looking online for now; I definitely need to head to the dealer when I am slightly more serious about it. I think there's a hole in my bank account. It keeps losing money, and there seems to be a correlation between that and things that I own with wheels.

ducnut likes this.
  20. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

the seperate bedrooms start in most cases at 28' or bigger. They can be pretty tough to find with a decent sized bathroom though.

ducnut likes this.