1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Something else I haven’t seen mentioned is motorhome lengths. When you’re looking at something that’s say “X” feet long, in a Class C that’s bumper to bumper and the coach starts behind the cab, which means you’re losing that cab length in interior space. Yes, you may have an overhead, but, the cab still encroaches into the overall volume. In a Class A, the same length measurement is pretty much windshield to bumper, with all of it being usable coach.

In the slide/no-slide debate, designers have a tendency to maximize livability when a slide is extended, which can compromise livability when the slide is retracted. In a no-slide unit, it’s all still usable. The designers place the bed north-south, they’ll narrow up the dinette, install a shallower closet, etc, so there’s more walkway room.

In this pic of my 25’ Class C, the line between the 3rd and 4th flooring runs from the left is where my dinette slid into. It still left a usable walkway to get to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. However, the queen bed folded and wasn’t usable. It would be fine for a couple and maybe a child or pet. However, if one was looking at multiple adults or children, it would be tight. For the OP, something like this one would be miserable. But, with the slide extended, it was awesome.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

We were looking at 48' goosenecks living quarters trailers before finding our toter. We went back and forth on this too, and happened to find a toter we liked at a price we could easily manage. I think the trailer V coach debate splits depending on the road time V parked-camping time. If you are going to set up and park a extended time the trailer makes more sense. If you are traveling and spending a night or two in a location and back on the road, the coach makes more sense. On our first trip to Grattan, my brother was driving and I got up and walked back to take a whiz. When the mission was completed, I knew we had made the right choice. beaver.jpg

ducnut likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW if you look at Haulmarks (super c I guess) their floorplans measure the floor of the box and don't include the truck which is usually another 10'. Or at least they didn't on ours.

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Sigh … I remember back in the day when AMA PRO riders were stylin' when they had an extended van, versus the standard wheelbase model. How times have changed.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay y'all are confusing the hell out of me :crackup:

A Toterhome is an RV set up to pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel. What's above is a Super C RV. Some RV's have garages, some don't. Anything being pulled behind a truck is a trailer. Some are 5th wheels, some goosenecks, some bumper pull.

A Class 8 (aka semi) truck set up to pull a 5th wheel rv trailer (or fiver) is just a Class 8 truck for our purposes even if it gets registered as an RV.

6. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

25'-27' is about all I am looking to get into. With a slide out if possible. we can comfortably travel in our Hondy Odyssey minivan now so this will be a huge upgrade. However, recently we drove to TX (from GA) and brought the dog, we were lacking that extra space and I thought a Class C would do the trick for traveling with the kids/dog - when we get to our destination we would be sleeping in someone's home (not the RV). When at the track it would be only me most of the time (occasionally my boys want to tag along). Anything bigger (conversion vans cost just as much as Class C's!) would be welcome of course.

I hear you, and normally my crew cab F150 towing my small enclosed 5x8 trailer is perfect for me, after unloading the trailer, I use it as my bedroom at night but it can get hot at night. Being that we as a family drive to most locations (gets expensive to fly) we visit, I feel like we will get decent use out of it both for track and vacation travel.

7. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I believe all the class 7/8 conversions were toters until the big builders realized that with the advent auto shift rigs they could add swooshy graphics and colors and market the same rig to Ma and Pa RVers. Hence the term super C was born.

I think Renegade still refers to the 5th/ gooseneck style as "sport deck" models.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Showhauler and I'm sure some others were doing the semi conversions to full RV's (not just toters) for a long while before Haulmark and Renegade got involved. They did start off doing toters for racers and horse peeps before they made the jump. There have always of course been people who did their own. Our first was a Showhauler and at that point I saw maybe 2 or 3 on the road and a handful at NHRA events.

This was all long before the Super C naming, I called mine a C on steroids until others came up with a better name :D

While I'm thinking about it - for those looking at them, there is a pretty big difference within Super C chassis as well. Night and day difference between one built on a medium duty or even a heavy duty city truck setup and an actual over the road semi chassis/cab setup.

5axis and ChemGuy like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ya’ll need to see, and Broome needs to own, the all wheel drive unit Showhauler is making. OMG. Huge rimz, big ass winch, all an a big ass international or frieghtliner chassis....:eek::Putter:

Some are 4x4 but I think they can do 6x6....

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Class A: The traditional “box on wheels”.

Class B: Based on a SRW or DRW van, with the coach being an uncut van body.

Class B+: Based on a SRW or DRW cutaway chassis, utilizing a fiberglass widebody. Looks like a Class C, but, is a narrower fiberglass coach and doesn’t have the overhead above the cab.

Class C: Traditional box mounted to a SRW (< only seen in the Cruise America rental fleet) or DRW cutaway chassis.

Super C: Class C coach mounted to a F450/F550 or 4500/5500 diesel pickup cab chassis, usually 35’.

Super C+: Coach body mounted to a Class 7 or 8 commercial chassis.

Toterhome: Class 7 or 8 commercial chassis with an abbreviated coach and 5th wheel provision behind the coach body.

Motorcoach: Bus-based motorhomes.

There are some custom, adventure/expedition vehicles based on a variety of 4WD chassis that aren’t really classified. If you’re in that market, you’re not the typical motorhome shopper and it doesn’t matter.

Hope that helps to clarify a bit.

ChemGuy and YamahaRick like this.
  11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My 30' class A with a V10 got better fuel economy than my Tundra, so I can't shit on the mileage.

I had both and for me the motorhome beats a toyhauler in every department. Trailers are easier to pit out of than a toyhauler garage and it's way more comfortable on the road. Yeah, you don't have a truck when you arrive, but the whole point of either option is to not have to leave. Do a little planning and you're fine.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This thread has ruined my 15 year search for the perfect fifth wheel toy hauler.

Someone(s) had to go and mention Class A, Thor and toy hauler...I've been scopin' out Outlaws ever since. :crackup:
    And why does this feel like deja vu? o_O

ducnut likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I cross-shopped those, too. The older Class A Outlaws, built on the GM Workhorse chassis, are reasonable money. The attic over the garage is pretty amazing. One’s kids could get lost up there.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

I've waited this long...I guess I can wait until Ford's new 7.3 gasser starts hitting chassis. Prolly have a whiz-bang automatic behind it, too.

ducnut likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Probably be awhile before Ford gets them into their bare chassis. Plus, there will be a stockpile of bare chassis at the motorhome manufacturers to be worked through. My ‘18 was built on a ‘17 chassis. In addition, the Outlaw models aren’t very high volume, so it could take awhile.

If you didn’t know, the Class A chassis have a 3-valve engine, whereas the Class C cutaways have a 2-valve engine. That’s why there is a hp/tq difference between them, even though they’re both a 6.8L V10.

16. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

ducnut likes this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

No doubt. Pretty damn cool up there. We looked at one a couple years ago and my son was pissed that we didn’t buy it on the spot. :crackup:

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  18. fastfreddie

I got those memos watching a 45 minute vid on the 37GP from Thor's Sales Training.
    The host, Mark Andrews(?), was on the ball...seemed really knowledgeable while readily coming forth with tons of product information.

I found the 37GP floor plan bad-ass. EVERYONE can see the 50 inch TV from the inside and the side patio is just too cool. The SkyBunk, yup, that'd be the bedroom...no kids, and the cats would have a place to hide when entertaining.
    And, apparently, every option on a Thor is standard...talk about bang-for-the-buck.

So, I reneg...fuck a fifth wheel! I'll drag the Jeep behind this bitch if I need groceries. :crackup:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The problem is cost of the Outlaws. For a LOT less money, there are plenty of used options around in some very high quality coaches.

B000F87A-6F3A-4449-8E02-B55C5304EE40.jpeg 030509B3-91F1-48FE-8577-4FCBAAB613AF.jpeg 13648DD8-8F94-4210-B0BB-1AB6C10AF144.jpeg

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

$90k a month? That had better be a one month term...

Anyone replaced/upgraded the cab seats in a Ford Class C? Mine are looking tired, want to replace them but there are a LOT of options to sort through, looking for some suggested guidance.