1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class C RV's

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 9, 2019.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I guess that depends on the intended use. Our Outlaw is 36 and it has occasionally limited the number of camping spots available to us, but I wouldn't say it has been a big hindrance. We usually try to scout out where we are going if possible for both length and height restrictions.

As for driving, it hasn't been a big deal for us. You can't necessarily stop everywhere you might want to stop, but there are usually plenty of options.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A class C basically comes in roughly two lengths; ~25’ and ~33’. That Class A is only 7’ longer than the largest Class C’s you see on the road and the measurement includes the driver compartment; windshield to rear bumper. You’ll never outgrow that or be wishing for more and it’ll drive much nicer than any other available configuration. That unit is basically what all the full-timers end up graduating to, over however many motorhome purchases. It’s the right coach to be looking at, in size and condition, IMO. And, with your mechanical background, you’re the perfect next owner.

For reference, my new Class C was 25’ and $77K. The coach you’re looking at, is a better motorhome purchase, IMO.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Ducnut your doing a great job selling this. Lol. What is interest rates for a used motor home? What are normal terms 3-5-7-10 years?

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Well, I did a LOT of research, before taking the plunge. Talking to others on the road provided the most insight. If I saw a coach I was curious about, I simply approached the owner(s).

Once I moved into mine, I started realizing the reasoning for full-timers/frequent users getting into a Class A pusher. I looked very hard at them, but, I was restricted to a ~25’ parking spot at work, only had myself to worry about, and liked the big van-ish feeling of a Class C driving compartment. Five big letdowns, though: 1.) Wishy-washy handling and being pushed all over was way worse on the open road, compared to my test drive. 2.) Ingress/egress of the driver seat was terrible and I’d just exit the coach, walk around, and get into the cab. 3.) A Class C driver compartment has restricted rearward seat adjustment, because designers usually put the dinette right up against the driver seatback. . 4.) My queen bed required the slide to be extended to utilize it, which meant I mostly slept in the overhead (that fucking ladder!) to be more stealthy. 5.) ~8mpg was atrocious, especially for driving 57mph and something so small in the motorhome world. Again, things I didn’t think would be all that important became more so, the more I used it. I don’t regret what I had bought, but, the one you’re looking at would provide the user a much better RV experience, especially towing and with a family aboard.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. assjuice cyrus

Yea I agree with all the above. Looking on line anything 06 and a pusher is close to 80 or above.

ducnut likes this.
  6. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

My RV is an "orphan" - had no trouble at all keeping it going and keeping it nice. - so agreed, that wouldn't care me away at all.

t

ducnut likes this.
  7. assjuice cyrus

Thanks. That was one worried I had. So that input does help.

8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let that stop you from buying. The manufacturer isn't going to provide much in the way of support or parts for a 14 yr old RV anyway. Thor has been very friendly when I have contacted them but they haven't been able to provide much info. If you're mechanically inclined, which you are, you'll be fine.

ducnut likes this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If you did have issues with something from a manufacturer STILL in business, it’s not like you’re going to go into a dealer and get the same replacement component, for most items. They’ll have moved well on from the stuff used to build a 2006 model year coach and into more modern technologies. They’ll even make changes during production runs. It’s not unusual to have the same production year coaches built with different stuff, like water pumps, electrical components, water heaters, faucets, etc. It’s all generic.

You’d be better off to search eBay and Amazon for replacement components. In fact, you can buy just about anything needed to build out an entire motorhome, online. The RV forums always have project threads, with some owners doing really impressive work with great ideas/tips.

Again, with your knowledge and abilities, you’ll be fine.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That thing is hella sweet for only 60 K!

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

And, the perfect rig to bring his family up to your place.

motion likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Only if I get to flog it on the pass.

ducnut likes this.
  13. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Are windshields available for these older Class A motorhomes?

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I think, “hit and miss” would be as good of answer to expect.

There were a bunch of owners of a Thor product (Axis?) that were having to wait extended times, because they had so many issues with them cracking. And, that’s a fairly new product line.

Unless the manufacturer uses something common, like a semi-truck windshield, you’re going to be at the mercy of whoever they have make them.

Definitely a good question, though.

15. assjuice cyrus

What are some good RV forums.

If it's still there next weekend we may be making a road trip.

16. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I think so but you may have to wait awhile. We had to replace our front passenger and driver windows (not windshield) because the double pane was compromised and they weren't repairable and they are unique to our RV. We were able to get them from the original manufacturer(Hehr) but they had to be made to order and took about 8 weeks. They fit like a glove though.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Someone other that the RV company made the windshield. If they are still around they can make a new one. These class A windshields can be 1-2K....yikes.

Here is old post with tons of places to look for RV parts, surplus, salvage, etc.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22768273.cfm

18. assjuice cyrus

I just thought of something. You think that thing has auto leveling Jack's?

19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Even though it's not explicitly stated, I would be shocked if it didn't. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pusher without them.

ducnut likes this.
  20. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Guaranteed yes

ducnut likes this.