1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlottesville, VA

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by G 97, Aug 12, 2017.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

@tiggen. Yup, his wife's land. Union army used it as a camp to protect the WH. IIRC, his grandkids had to sue to get paid for the land.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Bottom line it was an asshole convention hosted by the government. The government tried to delete history like that would actually change anything. This stirred up a group of racist assholes that decided to protest it. Then the government allowed groups with a history of rioting to interfere with the 1st amendment rights of the first group of assholes. Who then went to the courts and won. Of course now the morons that had cued up had a ton of publicity to attract more assholes to the area. And to no surprise the assholes got violent on both sides with top prize going to the jack off that ran people down.

The lesson here is quit trying to destroy history just make the truth available about it or you will be over run with assholes.

eggfooyoung, Phl218, crashman and 3 others like this.
  3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Or you could be an a$$hole prone to ridiculous generalizations, such as yourself.

4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Or you might be one of those people who thinks everyone who disagrees with him is a racist.

5. sheepofblue

Grew up in Michigan and lived down here. The north is more racist as a whole. When I moved here yes there was some really vile people but most people got along. Up north people generally were far more segregated and yes racist. There was not the really nasty vile person that existed here but the general tone was more racist. The good news is I think both areas have improved a ton. Though yes there are those select few morons (in both locations)

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, because the slavery issue had nothing to do with it.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Possibly but I'm not aware of anyone in Illinois or Iowa owning any slaves.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Not all the houses are big - just expensive. And that's kinda the point - those who do the landscaping and cleaning aren't changing the names of the streets those houses are on - or the names of the schools in their neighborhoods, or the names of parks or whatever. . . no matter how much someone wants that narrative to be true.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Consider yourself corrected.

Slavery in Illinois existed for more than a century. French settlers introduced African slavery to the Illinois Country in the early eighteenth century. French inhabitants of Illinois continued the practice of owning slaves throughout the Illinois Country's period of British rule (1763), as well as after its transfer to the new United States in 1783. The Northwest Ordinance (1787) banned slavery in Illinois and the rest of the Northwest Territory, but many slaves remained in bondage in the state until their gradual emancipation by the Illinois Supreme Court.

During the early decades of statehood, the number of slaves in Illinois dwindled before dropping to zero. Nevertheless, in the decade before the American Civil War an anti-Black law was adopted in the state, which made it difficult for new Black emigrants to enter or live in Illinois. Near the close of the civil war, Illinois repealed that law and became the first state to ratify the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which abolished slavery nationally.

Slaves might be the last people you’d expect in Iowa. Confederates might be a close second.
    After all, Iowa has always been free. However, 17 slaves appear on the 1840 Federal Census for Dubuque County. They lived in 11 households.
    Dubuque County had 3,056 residents. There were at least five African-American families, all freedmen. Four of the slave-owning families had whites, slaves, and free blacks at the same residence. (The other seven slave-owning families had whites and slaves.)
    The slaves seemingly labored in agriculture, commerce, or manufacturing and trade, or they worked as house servants. There is no evidence that they worked in the local lead mines.
    Slave owners included early Dubuque mayors Francis K. O’Ferrall and Peter A. Lorimier, prominent businessman and land receiver Thomas McKnight, and early Iowa U.S. Senator George Wallace Jones. A third mayor, Warner Lewis, didn’t own slaves, but he grew up in a slave-holding family.

Future Senator Jones held the most slaves (three). He had owned even more slaves when he lived in Sinsinawa Mound, Wisconsin Territory.
    McKnight and future Confederate President Jefferson Davis sometimes visited Jones in Sinsinawa Mound. They enjoyed eating cornbread served by two slaves (who Jones later brought to Dubuque). Jones reportedly freed his slaves in Dubuque by 1842 or 1843.

The early business environment of Dubuque was surely pro-slavery. It’s unclear whether this environment influenced the 12 Dubuque residents who later served the Confederacy.

In 1839, the year before the census, the Supreme Court of the Territory of Iowa decided “In the Matter of Ralph.” Ralph was a slave from Missouri who in 1834 signed a written agreement with his master to buy his freedom.

His master authorized Ralph to work in Dubuque in the lead mines until he earned $550. A few years later, Ralph still hadn’t paid off his debt, so slave hunters tried to capture him.

A Dubuque resident took Ralph to see Judge Thomas Wilson, a political rival of George Wallace Jones. The court ruled that Ralph was a free man.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You're right. It didn't. :moon:

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

The South is so pure and innocent.
    The North is bad.
    History needs to be preserved but only the way the South wants it to be.
    Can't get anymore racist than owning another human being and treating them like a piece of property. But the North is worse. Too much.
    :crackup:

galloway840 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Only thing that keeps me in the north is the shortage of poisonous critters looking to do me in.

Well that and that gawdawful accent. :D

galloway840 likes this.
  13. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Didn't say that. Comment was more aimed at those essentially defending the statues of the losing side of the Civil War. Glad to see them coming down, and glad to see how butthurt the descendants of the losers are over it.

Pretty sure I didn't start the North/South is more racist argument on this thread, but I'm not going back through to find out who did. Look, this thread was supposedly about the violence in Charlottsville, which readily morphed into what a great guy General Lee was, then into how Northerners are more racist than Southerners.

I'm not looking for the data on whether the North or South is more racist. Just calling it as I've seen it, same as many of you supposedly are. You Southerners go ahead and believe whatever malarky you want to. Like "The War of Northern Aggression", haha, or the Civil War had nothing to do with Slavery, or that really, it was only a minor part of it. Maybe that's what they teach in the public schools down there...

SuddenBraking and G 97 like this.
  14. galloway840

No different than most of the rest of the folks posting on this silly thread.

:stupid:

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. galloway840

Rob, I already agreed earlier to meet half way, cause racism is everywhere, and anyone paying attention can see it everywhere. However, those here suggesting the North is more racist than the South are just expressing their opinion, not really validated by anything than their experiences. And, likewise, I shared mine.

Regardless of all the wishful thinking revisionist history going on in this thread, I'm just happy we won the war! :flag:

G 97 and sheepofblue like this.
  16. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Don't fast food bill boards help to kill and enslave more people than any Confederate general ever did? How come nobody is clamoring for them to be taken down? Just a thought? o_O

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I couldn't be bothered to sift through all the BS so I went to No Bullshit for some context on all this crap going on down there. Sound like its on point?

18. sheepofblue

You need to get over your prejudice. The south is not perfect nor is the north, neither today nor then. The biggest reason the north didn't have slavery was not moral superiority it was an industrial base vs an agricultural one, in other words climate. Add in how many in the north suffered under indentured servitude (less vile than slavery) or the company store type of slavery?

Then consider the race riots under Obama occurred in the north... hmmm why is that :beer: Maybe people down here for the most part get along and don't have time for that nonsense. Or that most of our communities are more integrated than up there? But you keep riding along on that high horse and trying to tear down statues and monuments like you were in Al Queada or ISIS as long as it is somewhere away from me :Poke:

19. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

As a comparison, what percentage of the North owned slaves in 1860? I know it won't be anywhere near as many as the South, but it's not like there weren't any slave owners up yonder either.

Off to the google machine I go.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You have seemed to imply that YankeeBastids are Free from Hate....I and others Called BullShit...simple, there are Bigots Everywhere...Perhaps they don't teach the actual meaning of the word up above the MasonDixon.