1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't believe i live next door to these assholes.......

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cpettit, Mar 26, 2015.

1. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Actually, age and race/ethnicity ARE protected classes under federal law.

Lots of legal intricacies, and I'm not a lawyer.

What's right and what's legal are often two very different things. YMMV

And of course, nothing forces anyone to do anything. Laws just spell out the consequences of certain actions.

Pic is clipped from a vid I was watching this morning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

The right to choose. :D

We're very progressive in our business, as we will serve just about anyone. Except democrats. We feel that we owe it to the country.

3. ped

ped Banned

^ Well you are in dept to your country, afterall. It gives you freedom and liberty.

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

And people are free to practice their sexual choices as long as it doesn't infringe on other's rights.

Ever been in a business where it is posted "we reserve the right to refuse service"?

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

The bill signing makes Indiana the 20th state in the nation to adopt such legislation. It is modeled on the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which President Bill Clinton signed in 1993.

6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

7. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

8. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Hey RFKA guess what? That's right, since 2002!

9. Unfortunately, sometimes the suburban and rural (conservative) areas get their way in Pennsylvania state government. Fortunately, I don't know of any businesses in Pittsburgh that would deny service to someone because of their sexual orientation.

10. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Hey beac83 you've lived under it since 1998...

11. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Yeah, conservatives like Clinton...

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The issue is not individual rights. What the activists are seeking is official social approval of their lifestyle. But this is the antithesis of equal rights.

If you have a right to someone else's approval, then they do not have a right to their own opinions and values. You cannot say that what "consenting adults" do in private is nobody else's business and then turn around and say that others are bound to put their seal of approval on it.
    Thomas Sowell

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Really? You mean this law wouldn't result in businesses turning away customers all over the place?
    That is the reality. It wouldn't happen.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That's called representation in some circles.

15. gaitherb

gaitherb Well-Known Member

Georgia tried to pass similar legislation last year...it was met with "real" opposition. Delta Airlines, Home Depot, Coke, AT&T all reminded the governor that stupid shit like this, is bad for business. Guess what, the bill failed to pass. It's up for a second try, and it's a good possibility that it will pass. This will simply come down to money, those that threaten to leave the state because of the bill or those that promise to come to the state because of the passage of the bill. I suspect if Eli Lilly threatened to leave Indiana because of this bill, I'm almost certain the law would be repealed. It will take a corporate giant leaving a state to put an end to these laws.

These bills are nothing more than a thinly-veiled laws that discriminate against the LGBT community. All of the anecdotal bullshit about religious freedoms being infringed upon is just that...bullshit. This is about gay people. And that's because "gay" isn't a protected class. If these "religious" freedom laws attempted to allow business to discriminate against the disabled or elderly (i.e. protected classes), the laws would immediately fail. But the assholes that introduce these bills know that. Gays will become a protected class at some point, and once they do, stupid laws like this will fall.

Also, I find it hard to see why these laws don't violate the Establishment Clause -- using your religion as a sword to discriminate against others. Traditional Establishment Clause analysis simply says, government will not "favor" a particular religion. So in reality, these laws will allow all religions to discriminate against gays if they want; that seems to bastardize the Constitution.

If a gay racer went into a motorcycle shop to buy a set of race tires and the owner refused to sell those tires to him/her based on the customer's sexual orientation, but couches that refusal in "religious" terms; that should be an absolute violation of the First Amendment ... "the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion". The argument is, the government can't enact laws that recognize the right to discriminate, even if all religions are allowed to do it. But see the Hobby Lobby Supreme Court decision.

I'm curious to see what the business communities do in response to these types of laws. The Superbowl and the NCAA are threatening not to play games in Indiana...and the NCAA is based in Indy. A few years ago, Georgia lost significant dollars from medical companies that considered locating here because they the legislature opposed certain types of research (i.e. stem cell research)...so they moved to North Carolina. Georgia has a booming convention industry -- industries will start planning to go elsewhere -- Vegas.

16. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

There, edited that for you... But don't worry, Wolf will restore your liberal view of PA and tax those evil suburbs and farms back to the stone age. :Poke:

17. Nah, some rural areas of PA would make you think you were in the bible belt.

18. Yep. I have no problem with that. I support the democratic process. Doesn't mean I have to like it when a Republican governor signs off on goofy laws.

19. Wolf, I like.:D

20. Don't get me wrong. There are businesses that would do that, and those that have done it. I just don't know of any in Pittsburgh.