1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we agree to remove the super from Superstock?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jared, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Why not save the guys at that level some money?
    The faster you go the more expensive this sport gets. Tire wear, brake wear, everything wears faster with speed.

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We spent several years on the short end of the stick, constantly chasing money being spent... it made Draik a better rider. Let the others spend the money, they won't nescesarily last as long and you can hone your skills chasing their money spent.

Gino230 and obcbr like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What level? The top 5? They have sponsors to offset the extra expense, another thing you learn as you learn the skills necessary to get to their level. Unless you're Broome you need to learn to get support for your racing. They're also not the ones who want production bikes. They're the ones who want to be able to buy used pro bikes and modify their machines to work with their riding.

All of our rules have evolved for a reason and in large part we follow the pro racing rules so riders who do run their events on occasion won't need a second bike to do their stuff or ours. We allow Novices the same mods so they can buy used expert equipment and be legal. There were definite issues when we kept Novice production and allowed more mods for Experts.

Also - our rules have evolved at the specific request of our customers. Lots of examples of our riders wanting more modifications just on here.

4. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Because the fastest riders need the extra performance to go fasterer, don't ya know. The rest of the field is too slow to need to worry about the bike being better and should be happy being filler until they are as fast as the guys....with the fast bikes. :D

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Should have seen Josh Hayes original bikes :D

Even better was Schwantz on an FJ600 kicking ass - and that thing was never competitive.

r6boater likes this.
  6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. When it comes to lap times there's no doubt that 90% of that is in the skill of the rider, not the bike. I could have all the power available on my R3, like a 1-race type of engine putting out over 50 hp and I still wouldn't win...but I would be a bit faster. Some of the guys that win the races I'm in are 13-year old kids who are just insanely talented, and they are actually on stock 300s. Some people think that's BS, but they really are on stock motors, not even a SS build. The frustration is when there's someone that's not way faster than you and that you always catch up to in the turns and get better drive out, only to see them pulling away from you like they're on an SV despite being in their draft. So at that point if they were on equivalent powered bikes, you'd beat them hands down. But with a 4-5 hp advantage, there's no chance in that situation.

I do this for fun, and don't take it all that seriously, so I never accused anyone of cheating, nor will I probably ever do that. I've raced against some guys who I knew were technically on an illegal bike, but because of little stupid shit, like an air filter or things that wouldn't make much of a damn difference anyway, no more than like 1 hp. So there's no point in saying anything because I know they'd be faster than me even if their bike was totally stock. My biggest beef is with CCS not allowing the R3 in the 300 SB and 300 SS classes. That makes no fuckin sense!

7. “I for a fact KNOW that guy is cheating”

“How do you know?”

“Because I am cheating and his is faster than mine”.

:crackup:

What movie is that from? I can picture the dudes face saying it but can’t remember where from.

rcarson15 likes this.
  8. There is something else to consider, fun. Customizing bikes to make them “our own”, modifying them and feeling the differences is fun. That’s part of the excitement. I don’t want to race in a series where I am forced to use a bone stock bike.

For the record, I have raced bone stock bikes. For the first several years I would race them bone stock, then add suspension and change brake pads to see how it worked. Then Id add a quickshifter for a couple weekends. So on and so forth.

I won some Novice races on bikes that were 100% stock except for tires and a slip-on exhaust. A couple of them didn’t even have a Slipper Clutch. I learned how to rev match on downshifts, clutchless upshift with no QS, etc and be competitive without those things before modding any of them.

Hell, I never even adjusted the suspension until the end of my 2nd year as an Expert. I had no idea what any of the clickers or dials did until Stokes asked me what was going on with the bike, then he started messing with shit, and I could go faster. I had no idea any of that shit actually did anything. I just rode it.

But now I enjoy modifying them. I think it is part of the fun. I get excited about picking out the different wheels and exhausts and shit.

Cajun Kid, TurboBlew and joec like this.
  9. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

SS should at least be pump fuel only.

10. No.

You *want* it to be pump fuel only. That doesn’t mean it should be.

11. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

I apologize for my colloquialism in this extremely formal forum.

12. I basically just keep seeing comments along the lines of “rules should be made to fit what I want to do”.

If YOU want to save money, run a stock motor, stretch your tires, use pump gas, etc...then do it. Knock yourself out. Nobody is forcing you to build your motor or run pump gas.

Response: “But I want to win and the fast guys are doing it”.

As Mongo pointed out, races can and have been won, even Expert races, with stock motors and pump gas.

This sport isn’t cheap to begin with, and it doesn’t get any cheaper when you try to run up front in the Expert classes. Rather than expecting the org to change rules to suit your budget, either find some good support, work more hours, improve your riding, find a different (cheaper) class to race in, or get used to finishing 13th.

13. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. Still doesn't go along with a "stock" mentality when you're using "race" gas. This is assumimg like minded skills, but one having more money. Having no race fuel in a stock class is fairly easy to regulate, compared to an engine build. It, at the very least, gives a much stronger impression it's a stock class with rules.

Also, I'm not expectimg them to change rules based on my finishes. I guess you we're accustomed to the 13th position, because it's surely not mine. Maybe that was just a blanket statement, but seems otherwise. I'm asking, asserting an opinion, making a neutral observation, or any other form of statement you wish to equate this as, that a SUPERSTOCK class can at the least run with no race fuel.

14. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

;)

Before people start getting offended.

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

So to ban race gas you have to define it. Does that only include the stuff that comes in cans or does it include some of the fuels in pumps at or near race tracks? With a spec fuel you can test to see if it matches. With a pump fuel only, exactly what is and is not allowed and in what tolerances? It isn't that easy.

16. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Is it from a pump? No. Banned! BAMCIS!

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Some tracks offer race gas from a pump. ;)

18. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Some tracks have race fuel in pumps. o_O

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. obcbr

obcbr Well-Known Member

Shit! There's a loophole!
    Look, I completely understand every one saying "A better rider will win." I'm thinking of the novice guy who's going into SS and is at a disadvantage. Their mindset is what keeps them coming back. Are there racers who don't race because of this, maybe so maybe not, but it creates a better structured system.

I don't think the reason I consistently finish in my positions is because of my bike. I do believe it has cost me a podium, due to mere milliseconds and a plethora of other factors. But that's ok. I decide to work on my race craft and learn from there. Not every one else has that tenacity.

We don't have the proper ability to protest and have an engine torn down, not that anyone ever goes this route, but another helpful way to ensure a "stock" style class is kept as close to stock as possible is to limit the type of fuel. Are there fuels out there I'm probably unaware of that isn't as easily detectable? Yes. Are they easily accessible without anyone knowing if a "no race fuel" rule is implemented? That's what this rule is based upon. If people know there are consequences to a rule that's enforced, especially one that's relatively enforced, then they are extremely unlikely to go out of theurcway to break it. I can list a plethora of laws that follow this concept.

drop likes this.
  20. I have no idea who you are. I don’t even know your name or competition number, much less where you normally finish.

So no, my comments weren’t directed towards you or anyone in particular. They were generic in nature, and aimed towards the general tone of this thread, not a particular person.

Many people do not want to run pump gas, especially people with Italian gas tanks that have been known to be deformed by ethanol. And not everyone has access to E0 fuel.

I’m not saying everyone has to run MR12, but I also don’t like a “pump gas only” rule.

BTW - some motor builds require race fuel.