1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we agree to remove the super from Superstock?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jared, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Racing is expensive. I understand that. Do we really need to allow built motors and 20+ dollars per gallon fuel into the stock class? We already have a superbike class for guys who want to spend the extra cash for more power, better brakes, and all the other bells and whistles.
    Why not save the rest of us a lot and still be able to race competitively on actual stock engines and pump fuel?

aaronson and drop like this.
  2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You can absolutely compete at the club level on a stock motored bike.

You aren’t losing because you got out motored. Not at the club level.

Gino230, JBraun, MikeR and 9 others like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

Because realistically in club racing, unless you're at the pointy end of the the expert grid, it's not the bike that's the problem...

And even with super strict rules somebody will figure out how to outspend you. Like Josh Hayes talking in his interview, about club racers putting on new rear tire for every sprint race. Etc

Gino230 likes this.
  4. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

This is absolutely true but it is frustrating being down 20hp to someone your battling with even if it’s for 6th place.

5. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Ever tried to race a 39 hp R3 against a 46 hp R3?
    I’m not saying that I would win. I’m just saying why not save everyone money so we can race more

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

o_Oo_O
    Before we get into hp how much do you weight lol

rcarson15 and speedluvn like this.
  7. 418

418 Expert #59

Because racing doesn't work like that.

There's always that one guy that I'll take it to "11". So that everybody else has to take it to "11". And then there's the accusations of cheating.

Sometimes racers are their own worst enemies with shit like that.

condon66 likes this.
  8. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

165lbs ...

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hey Jared.....aren't you at the pointy end anyways? I thought you came out swingin' and knockin' em down on the 300......all jokes aside,just askin'.

10. Robby-Bobby

I don’t think you’re getting an 8hp advantage in that class from Race gas and supersport build....

11. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

usually very close to the point.

12. Robby-Bobby

Again, you aren’t getting 20 hp out of a superstock build.

obcbr and Gorilla George like this.
  13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

(20hp ?? ) correct me if i'm wrong, but what you are proposing for the superstock class , is nothing more than requiring a spec fuel ? "built motor" isn't allowed. Pretty sure cam timing adjusting is, but that's about it for the motor in these classes. WERA even requires stock master cyl for brakes.. so , not really sure what's up aside from 5-6 hp gained with spendy fuel ? and FWIW, Thermosman talked Stefano Mesa outa using MR12 any longer, to go with pump gas, he went FASTER with a few LESS hp. Granted, this is on a 1000cc bike..

ahh, the wee bikes. Sorry. I'm outa my element in that discussion...

14. Jared

Jared Well-Known Member

Currently you can deck the head, adjust cam timing and run whatever exotic fuel you want.
    I’m proposing no machining of any engine parts, all oem parts including gaskets used during rebuilds, and standard pump fuel you can get at any gas station. 87-93 octane

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Even amongst friends somebody always starts getting all secretive with their builds and decking heads etc.and play it off like they are totally stock as per "gentlemens agreement". I personally like your idea and when our little group down here went to the 250's a couple years ago it was agreed across the board to keep the engines completely stock..............that lasted maybe one weekend besides mine and my 250 was so badass it used the 16" rims and street tireso_O Hence sticking with my FZR's and an R6 now.

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

FWIW, during the 2hr endurance, Draik ran pump gas after his pit stop at VIR, set his fastest time on the next to last lap at a :40.0 on take offs that had at least two other races and practice sessions, and had run all the laps himself up to then. And his bike sure doesn't make 46hp ...even on the juice. Oh, and he weighs 150lbs and wears an airbag vest.

Shenanigans, Phl218 and obcbr like this.
  17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You don't get 20hp advantage from a SS build and mr12 vs a guy with a stock engine and pump gas?
    Honest question.
    Talking about 600s not little bikes

18. drop

drop Well-Known Member

This has been discussed and shot dkwn every time

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

it feels like 20HP because the throttle response is a lot better, u get more midrange, and a lot of the flat spots are gone. but nope, its not 20HP. my R6 got <5HP from a SSTK build. ive never run MR12 so not sure, but I hear thats good for another 3-4HP.

TurboBlew and noles19 like this.
  20. drop

drop Well-Known Member

No

TurboBlew likes this.