1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camper/travel trailer brands:

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 10, 2021.

1. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Wow, Sean and I pretty much just did the "twins saying the same thing" thing.
    I'm not sure if I should pat myself on the back or smack myself across the face. :crackup:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

At least a smack upside the head.

t11ravis likes this.
  3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

You said that I quoted this..."Extraneous nonsensical bullshit deleted...."......sorry, I never said or posted those words.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord, no you did not, that was me deleting your extraneous nonsensical bullshit. Now answer the question rather than deflecting yet again.

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

If you go back through my postings, One of the main concerns that I expressed multiple times, as I recall, was about the legal ramifications of towing overloaded and having an accident...and the possibility of getting a civil lawsuit filed against the person that was overloaded. And to that point, I stated that the vehicle manufacturers are the ones that set the load capacities and ratings that apply to each and every vehicle that they make. And since those ratings are done by the manufacturer of the vehicle, they then become the legal basis for weight capacity and ratings. You're view is that those ratings are "arbitrary" and mine is that they aren't. So with that, I'm done with arguing about this, and will just silently sit by and not post any additional things unless someone has a question about a truck trailer combination for me.

As just so you know, I'm really not trying to be an ass about any of this, all I am trying to do is to offer a perspective that needs to be at least thought about before combining a truck and trailer in order to try and stay within the ratings of each vehicle. You may totally disagree with me and stick with your "arbitrary" argument...and that's OK. Others may believe I have merit in what I am saying and choose to agree.....it's each and everyone's personal choice. Thanks.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Since I am the well known voice of reason on here, I would like to point out that people are not arguing the same point, although they seem to think they are. The two points are the legal ratings as determined by federal and state laws, which are then used by the manufacturers. The other point is the practical application of the strength, durability and performance limits as determined by engineering and physics. These are not the same limits as they are determined by different practices and desired outcomes.

The feds and the lawyers make the manufacturers use lower limits than the engineers and designers say are safe and practical. Then don't forget to throw in the margin of error, the margin of safety and any fudge factor they want to use. I fall into the category of if it will fit it will fly.

7. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

KCFirebolt likes this.
  8. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

What flooring was in the one they brought? I haven’t been able to see one in person, but the only options are vinyl and some sort of woven material (which I’m very curious about). Seems like coin rubber would be better for a toy hauler with the dirt/gas/oil etc.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Damn, you are fast with all your 1 and 5 minute fixes. I can't even get to the store to get the part that quickly or find it on the internet, let alone line up the beers required for said project.

Then I have to find my tools. Where is that 10mm anyway? Teflon tape, I know I bought some and put it somewhere in my toolbox?

Greenhound386 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know what you have been preaching about. I never once talked about that. What I said was simply the limits on the stickers have little if nothing to do with what the vehicle can actually handle. You continually argue that without actually addressing what I said.

The ratings are absolutely arbitrary. The only way to argue that is if you don't understand the meaning of the word. The numbers are not always based on equipment, they are placed on vehicles at the whim of the OEM for a multitude of reasons. That is simple provable fact, not opinion, not belief.

As for your "perspective"...we get it, people can and are sued for stupid shit all the time. That's why I haven't bothered to address it, you are correct on that part. We will disagree on not following the stickers being at the level of gross negligence but that is opinion and would absolutely vary depending on the lawyers and jury.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The issue is easily resolved. Stay away from the Davis Dam Grade. Never go there! :D

J2807 doesn't seem that tough. In fact, it seems that today's vehicles should pass with flying colors within their respective tow ratings.
    Is there room for improvement or modification of the test? The one area I'm seeing is with a tag tailer using a weight distribution hitch and fifth wheel/goosenecks. Until the differences between the two types of tow methods are tested separately, J2807 is just another standard being foisted as definitive when the reality is, it's merely a recommended suggestion that doesn't separate apples and oranges.
    Ultimately, it is not law.

tjnyzf likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Funny that semis don't meet the J2807 standards so I guess they aren't rated to carry as much as an F150 :crackup:

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup::crackup:

They keep moving the goal post so, someday, maybe...

The current GVWR I'm aware of that J2807 applies to is 14,000 lbs. It used to be 13,000lbs but, guess what, Ford upped there GVWR to 14,000 lbs and, abra-cadabra, something seems really hokey about the SAE upping the scope of its testing.
    I call BS...and reluctantly withdraw from future communiques on the topic as, well, we all know which direction I'll be going if I do. :D

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Don’t be f..king up “the experts” argument with facts. :crackup::crackup::crackup: