1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camper/travel trailer brands:

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 10, 2021.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

So, what cha getting....another toy hauler or ??

2. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I don't know how many other ways there are to reword my entire point. Payload capacity on 3/4 tons are purposely reduced to stay at the 10k GVWR rating for DOT rules. That's it. You keep ping ponging arguments. Before it was about bearings, engine, exhaust brakes, and service brakes (again, ironic given that unless you go to a 450 or 550 chassis, they're the same)

Now you're specifically talking 5th wheels and load outs. There's a reason toy hauler 5th wheels have the axles closer to the pin than regular camper 5th wheels. Don't take my word for it, compare a 36' 5th wheel camper to a 36' toy hauler 5th wheel.

Your argument implies that going over on payload to any degree means you are going to kill a bus full of nuns if you are over weight on payload on a 3/4 ton, which simply isn't true or accurate in the least. Yes, yes, we know, "iT's AboVe tHe PaYloAd". Well, it's illegal to drive 1 MPH over the speed limit too.

I will, however, agree that there are a lot of 5th wheel trailers that are far outside the scope of a 3/4 ton, and a 1 ton SRW for that matter.

The entire crux for my 2 cents is based on the load capacity and stability of a SRW truck. No, I do not/will not care about the payload # on a 3/4 ton because I know it's a purposely cut number. I will, however, opt for the dually route when the pin weight of a 5th/gooseneck becomes too close on numbers for the load capacity of the tires/rear axle. To be fair, typically the extra stability of a dually is far more noticeable and desired before hitting the tire weight ratings of the truck.

There's a reason the number of 3/4 ton CCSB's outnumber a 1 ton CCSB probably 10:1. Because for all intents and purposes, there isn't any real advantage to a 1 ton SRW. If you're at the point where you feel you need the 1 ton numbers, yes, I'd agree with you at that point, you might as well get the dually.

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I believe I'll leave it at what I posted earlier and you and others can choose to agree or disagree with what I wrote. We obviously disagree about several things in regard to safe towing and staying within the manufacturer's listed weight capacities and load limits, so like I said....agree or disagree with what I said.....it's up to you and all the others....personal choices. You will not sway my beliefs, based on facts and numbers, and I will likely not sway your thoughts and opinions about the subject. So I'll just say...I'll agree to disagree with you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have nothing meaningful to offer to this thread but I will say that the above post does not make for good beeb diatribe. :Poke:

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

What exactly does that mean?

6. speedluvn

Some beebers will go "full retard" to drive home their point. That doesn't make for good entertainment for those us who have returned to the office.

Definitely some good information to ponder.

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

LOL...OK, I understand now. Sorry I couldn't be the "entertainer of the day"......I would try harder next time, but it's just not my nature. I guess I've mellowed out as I've gotten older and did the retirement thing last year. :D

8. speedluvn

Well . . . every beeb member has to do their part! With you being newly retired you certainly can join the "get off my lawn" crowd that work the beeb early morning shift. They're certainly a bunch of ornery individuals.

9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Oh my, whateva would make you think I'm "ornery"? <<<insert Devilish grin>>>

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You're the perfect example he's worried about. :crackup:

motion likes this.
  11. speedluvn

You must be new 'round dez parts? It goes with the territory.

12. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Well, I do have a bit of history here, and have maybe......MAYBE .....stirred the pot on a a very rare occasion, but mostly I'm just a "passive soul", no controversy or any type, and like slow walks on the beach and holding hands while watching the sunset! :crackup:

speedluvn likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have a great point about the legality and getting sued. You have no point about safety because the OEM limits have nothing to do with the actual ability of the vehicle in a lot of cases. Your belief isn't based on facts, just on arbitrary numbers that were chosen for reasons other than what can be done safely.

14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Awww shit....another 3 pages :crackup:

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's my thinking... I always look at the numbers and multiply 2.5X because, you know, attorneys.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

It's prolly been said but...if your vehicle seems to be struggling, it might be too much.

Even within the load rating of your vehicle's capacity, you have to consider your environment. Are those ratings taking into account that you live in a hilly or hot region? Have you put oversized tires on, effectively negating the tow rating? Is your journey stop-n-go or flat out on the highway? These things make a difference to the wear-n-tear on the vehicle. What's the point in draggin' a load that's whippin' your truck like a stubborn mule?

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thanks for the insight. Didnt realize lawyers gave much care about rv accidents.

So just for shits and giggles i went in my short guide for vehicle PA motor vehicle violations and didnt see my pertaining to RV and recreational camper violations other than making sure loads were secure and if using a ball or pintle coupling device, two tow chains had to be secured to the towing vehicle, as referenced in Chapter 49 of Title 75.

As an ex-flat foot, unless someone was driving like an idtio with a trailer or there was some suspension or other equipment failure on the trailer, I didnt pay much mind to them.

18. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Every state is of course, different as far as enforcement. California is probably the worst at the present time, but others are starting to join in the party as they see a couple of things. 1. The BOOM of RV users/owners since the pandemic started and a lot more RVers out there that are clueless. 2. They have their eyes on a "renewable income source" from those newbs that are totally unaware of the RV rules/regulations and such. And as far as the lawyers are concerned, they can smell the money from a civil suit from three states away. And I would think it would be pretty easy to prove negligence on someone who knowingly and willingly violated the Vehicle manufacturer's stated/listed weight capacities.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Knowingly and willingly? Yeah, not provable.

20. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm making a guess here, but I know I'm not a mechanical engineer and you are likely not one either....I might be wrong though because I really don't know you personally....so that may in fact be your background. I'm again, going to take a stab here and say that there is a high likelyhood that Ford, GM, Ram, and any/all of the rest of the manufacturer's have literally thousands and thousands of engineers whose job is to design, engineer, and be involved in the building of the vehicles, with a lot more knowledge and smarts than I have when it comes to that type of thing. I would seriously think that they are paid to build a vehicle that will conform to any and all Federally mandated safety requirements involving vehicles, and would then be challenged with testing and verifying that what they made will perform as it was engineered to do. Then the manufacturer has the responsibility to rated those vehicles and every single one of the weight and performance limits. So will all due respect Sean, I'm going to take their listed weight capacities to heart and use as a guide for combining the truck/trailer for it ability, safety, and conformity of to performing within those number ratings they provide. That, to me is the safest way to operate the vehicle in my opinion, and to honest, most of us do not have the knowledge to contradict their number for those ratings....so to me, anything other than the manufacturer's numbers, is strictly conjecture on my part or your part....or anyone else unless they know 100% that it is different than that.