1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camper/travel trailer brands:

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I mean, California has all sorts of problems going on:D

omatter34 likes this.
  2. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I'll jump in since this topic is near and dear to my heart as a 2500 diesel owner. My payload sticker is embarrassing but when I bought it I didn't even know the sticker was there or what it meant. After a lot of research I'm in the same camp as Wheelbearing and Mongo. A 3/4 ton truck is purely rated to meet 10k GVWR, there is zero engineering limits taken into account for that number.

In addition to the numerous examples Mr. Wheelbearing provided here's another one, Ford in 2020 took a magical jump in payload on 250's. How they did it was by saying oh they have a GVWR of 10,800 or 11,300 now. Thats it...not a single structural, suspension, or any other component changed from 2019. The engine and tranny changed but that has zero impact on raising the GVWR.

GM also decided to stop playing the game and made their 2500s over 11k GVWR unless you choose a derate option

3. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

To stay somewhat on the original topic, I have a Coachmen Freedom Express 33' bumper pull toy hauler and have been pretty happy with it. They discontinued the line this year but if you can find a used unit it will be well within budget.

I personally like Coachmen, Jayco and Grand Design from what I've seen the last couple of years. ATC's are fantastic but especially in the past year have become ridiculously expensive

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Well, it is the owner of the vehicles responsibility to know those limits, not Ford, Chevy, etc and ignorance of laws and regulations is now excuse, so I would imagine it would be pretty easy to prove or at least show responsibility on the owner.

5. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

The base GVWR is still 10K. To get to the 10.8K rating you have to get the optional upgraded axle. Boom, there's the difference.

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Which is why you leave the OEM tires, exhaust and electronics on your bikes, right? Cause as you said, you are no mechanical engineer and don't know more than the guys that engineered the bike.

7. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Tires, if they are the same size, speed rating, and load capacity will not affect the factory specs for the bike as far as payload capacity of the bike. And certainly the exhaust and electronics will not either. Apple and oranges sir. What you are trying to say would be like needing new tires for your tow vehicle and unless you buy OEM equipped tires, it would not work. You're going to have to come up with something better than that.

8. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I bet you’re a lot of fucking fun at parties....

“hey don’t drink 3 of those”
    “Hey did you have her sign a consent form?”
    “Hey did you know weed is illegal”

Phl218, Wheel Bearing and turner38 like this.
  9. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to offer some helpful advice, and my advice to you is if you're not interested in it......Don't read it. Pretty simple huh!

pickled egg, motion and Greenhound386 like this.
  10. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Last year I sold my work and play, 26' bumper pool, and guy showed up with 1500 Dodge truck. I told him he needs bigger truck, trailer is ~7-8k# and wheels are towards back so there is a lot of weight on hitch. He said it will be fine and declined my offer to take it to his house.
    Once he hooked it up truck was on bump stops and he barely made out of my driveway, about 10% uphill. :)

11. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I know, they just don't understand sometimes. And to be honest, everyone starts out not knowing shit about towing, just like everything else in life....we all have to be newbs at some point in the process....but I will probably never understand why people are too proud or egotistical to ask for help and or advice when they don't know.

12. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

When I bought my W&P I initially declined to hook up the WD hitch eventhough the seller kept telling me to. No problem for a dually right? Yeah, I stopped about 5 miles down the road and hooked it up.

13. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

SAE J2807 pretty much standardized how tow ratings are determined. A large portion of the SAE standard is minimum performance capabilities on the Davis Dam grade, without causing any failiures. The Davis Dam grade is likely more taxing than any situation 90% of RV owners will likely encounter. One of the aspects of the standard I find amusimg is that dual wheel trucks are given more time to complete the level grade acceleration tests, so a DRW gets an automatic head starts on SRW when it comes to tow ratings LOL!

The reality is that the standard does not have much to do with long term survivablity of any components on the vehicle itself. When you get into a debate with the "weight police" on most RV forums, after you debunk the some of the weak safety arguments, you end up deadlocked on the argument that your vehicle will breakdown and you will suffer repairs sooner if you tow over the manufacturers ratings. But they make this claim like the tow rating is some magic number that if you stay below you will not wear out any components faster than normal unladen driving. Of course the more weight or the harder you drive, even fully unladen, the faster you will wear out components. However for someone who is not a fulltime RVer, the duty cycle that one is subjecting the vehicle at the upper ends of it's capability are relatively low, as compared to say a contractor using a truck on a jobsite.

I am upgrading from a 26' (23 advertised) travel trailer to a 31' (28' advertised) bumper pull toyhauler this year, and yes I will be maxing out the ratings on my truck. I will be under RWAR but likely a little over GCWR and tow rating. However last year with two race bikes and gear in the bed of the truck I was actually over the RWAR when pulling the significanty lighter travel trailer. I'm more concerned about Axle ratings than GCWR or tow rating as the reality is that those numbers are limited by acceleration reuslts up the Davis Dam grade, where axle ratings are egineered/calculated ratings of the load the axle and tires can actually handle. Since I don't tow in the mountains much I'm not as concerned. whether my truck can make it up the Davis Dam grade at a minimum required speed.

Some would say a 31' toyhauler is too much wind sail behind a 1/2 ton truck and it is the largest single safety concern when towing a bumper pull trailer near or above the tow rating of a truck. That is why I also spent $3K+ on a propride 3P hitch. It's a weight distrubution hitch that projects the pivot point up near the rear axle of the truck, so if behaves like a fifth wheel. Unlike all other weight distribution hitches that use friction of some type to dampen sway, the pivot point projection eliminates the possibilty of any sway.

14. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I'm just giving you a heads up......You're not going to be popular at parties with that much detail being given.

TurboBlew and motion like this.
  15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

He’s actually invited to the party.

you’re outside with signs and a bullhorn saying “there is beer in there and it’s after 9pm”

ChemGuy and Motofun352 like this.
  16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

C'mon man.....at least send a few beers out to me! :timeforabeer:

lopitt85 likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have an old 2005 F-150 4x4. Last year I was at Home Depot and they forklift-loaded 1800 sq ft of LVP sitting on a palette into the bed. Damn, my poor truck instantly went to the bump stops. I drove it like that 900 miles to Albuquerque. It was a rough ride, LOL.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Lol, that's like 4,000 lbs, give or take.

Lucky that truck didn't fold into a taco shell.........and I owned the same truck/model year. :crackup:

motion likes this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't need to be a mechanical engineer to understand why the OEM's put the limits they do on vehicles.

You can type paragraphs of bullshit for as long as you like it won't change that the US OEM limits are not remotely done because of the actual limits of the vehicles. Easy enough to prove by the exact same 100% stock vehicle having different limits based on the designation or even better different limits just because it isn't sold in the US.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What you described is not knowingly and willingly. Try again please. Also who the hell said anything about the OEM being responsible?