1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camper/travel trailer brands:

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 10, 2021.

1. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Sean, I've already stated my beliefs and they are not something that you agree with....so let's just agree to disagree on this subject.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

See that's just it, you're talking beliefs. Not sure why you think something like this needs belief, it doesn't. The facts are out there and easy to find. I'd rather deal with those.

3. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

My beliefs.....and many, many more on most of the RV forums that I am on believe that you should never exceed any listed weight capacity or rating on a truck or trailer. That is supported by every single truck and trailer manufacturer out there....every single one of them will tell you that. So my beliefs and your beliefs are different simply in the fact that I choose to follow the manufacturer's numbers, and you say it is basically OK to not stay within them because they are arbitrary.

4. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

Simply put, the published limits are the maximum extent to which the manufacturer ran the vehicle through their battery of tests to determine that the design meets their internal and external (Govt, SAE etc.) requirements.
    Go over the limits and the answer to "what will happen?" is "try it and see." Likely nothing, but if you need to do an emergency lane change, emergency stop from 80mph, or go up Davis Dam on a 105 degree day then the unlikely becomes likely.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That is supported by every single truck and trailer manufacturer out there....every single one of them will tell you that.[/QUOTE]

Do you honestly think they're not saying that because of the lawyers telling them what to spew ? :rolleyes:

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

As far as knowingly and willingly, I know someone who when he went to pick up his new toy hauler the dealership flipped out and made him sign multiple liability waivers before letting him leave the lot with it:crackup:

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

So, did ya buy a toy hauler yet, RB?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, because the RV forums are where I go to find people who can think objectively no emotionally :crackup:

I haven't posted once about staying within the limits or not. I have posted they are arbitrary and not determined by the actual equipment. That is what you keep arguing about. I have not once argued beliefs, my statements are simple facts easily verifiable.

You really should read what I actually post not what you think I said based on your own issues.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some dealers are smarter than others for sure.

10. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Let me ask you a question.....who has the legal authority to determine the load capacities and towing ratings on a truck, car, etc? And if whoever that is has the authority and Duty to issue those ratings for a vehicle, are those ratings "arbitrary", or are they fully recognized as the legal ratings for the vehicle?

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's a question for a 3rd party, like a jury. :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does that have to do with what is being discussed?

Seriously, pay attention to the words being used not the sounds bouncing around in your head.

13. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

It has everything to do with what is being discussed. The manufacturer of the Vehicle (Ford, GM, Ram, etc) are mandated by the Federal Government to issue the load capacities and ratings for every vehicle that they make. In doing so, those numbers become the legal limits for the vehicle. So, if someone is involved in a serious/fatality type accident, and it comes to trial in a civil case, it would be quite easy for an attorney to show that the vehicle was or was not overloaded, based on the vehicle manufacturer's listed and published ratings for the vehicle. Normally, in most instances, DOT will not ticket or cite someone for being over payload numbers. They will however, issue citations/fines/tickets, even to non commercial (read private RVs) that are over the axle ratings and/or tire load capacity ratings of the vehicle. States like California are stepping up their checkpoint inspections, and it isn't just for commercial vehicles.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I am not and never have once said anything about the legal ramifications or which governing bodies determine load limits on vehicles.

Why do you keep bringing it up and typing out tons of shit about it when I have never said a single thing with regard to those subjects?

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Not yet. Sundowner rep came to our shop and brought their new line of "Toy box" was very very impressed with the quality and that it didnt feel like a camper. They let me tour "virtually" the factory, the build process etc.

Im back at square one. Now I am kinda wanting something nice that can take abuse.

16. Robby-Bobby

LOL sooooooo what you're trying to say, is that it's 100% bullshit? Without getting political....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll sell you ours :D

Granted the boss isn't quite understanding that we'd need a real truck on top of a trailer as the Suburban won't tow what she would like. Then there is the issue of room in a dually for the dogs.

18. Robby-Bobby

Then you post this in the same post. Come on guy......

19. Robby-Bobby

Ill ask her just like I asked Travis.... Whats that Monthly???

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on how long you finance it for and where you get a loan :D