1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calexit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

45 minutes in and there has still been no f@ckin' weather forecast (usually every 10 & 20).

F@ck these mutherf@ckers!!!

2. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Yep. What is funny is he is a gay man with a black partner. The protesters must all be racist homophobes...:D

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Canada tweaks their immigration policy every year or two, so they don't have one like ours that is outdated and non-functional. For their population, they have a very active immigration program, based on the country's needs for skills.

If you have the choice to be a Canadian or a Mexican, which would you choose? Both are the right answer, but for very different reasons. Canada is much more stable as a country (politics, economy) than Mexico at this time.

4. beac83

Milo is an intentionally provocative guy. The speaking event was created/designed to provoke the response it got.

No surprise. Breitbart gets the headlines they wanted, Berkeley says they offered him a platform, and the status quo is maintained.

That said, the violence is inexcusable.

5. beac83

Let's see, Canada picks up 6 to 9 top shelf universities, an extra 35 million taxpayers, expanded all-weather ports on the Pacific coast. Substantial sources of renewable energy. A young, generally well-educated, engaged, and productive population, and a year-round agriculturally productive area. Seems attractive to me.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Renewable energy that does not even come close to matching consumption. Ag that is dependent on water from outside Cal.

Of course I was joking though and despite the crazies California is not leaving the union anytime soon. Though it is ironic that the last time the union was threatened was also Democrats who at that time wanted to keep slavery. Not sure what they want this time though seems to basically be to rule others.

7. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I was hinting that most illegals in those states are from Mexico. Many libs bend over backwards to protect and not offend said illegals. So, choosing Canada over Mexico seems like a slap in the face of the very ones the libs try hard to make happy.

Would they be Mexicanadian once this hits?? :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mexico - better weather and food (poutine would rock if it weren't in Quebec).

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

I agree. But the French influence is a deal breaker. :D

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

gixxerreese likes this.
  11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So where is that water coming from for Calif ag? Maybe some in southern calif but there isn't any water being shipped in north of Bakersfield and that is where most of the ag is located.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Southern Cal via rivers. Bitches down stream that are new to sharing agreements loose :)

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am confused. Doesn't norcal water come from Lake Mead?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, power for SoCal does.

sheepofblue likes this.
  15. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

aha. Thank you sir.

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

And lots of water from Norcal is sent south. We'd have plenty up here, even in lean years, if we could get rid of So Cal.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Give them to Mexico.

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Lake Mead does provide 4.4 million acre feet of water to California. Maybe it isn't for AG, but more of the AG water would have to be diverted to the southern CA cities if that were cut off. The power and water rights would of course have to be negotiated and priced were any actual Calexit to happen.

It would be interesting to see what pulling all of the US military bases and weapons manufacturing out of California would have on their economy. Of course they would have to replace that with a military of their own. It would be interesting to see what kind of a military they could stand up to defend themselves and their interests. Coast Guard, Customs and Border Patrol, something akin to the FBI, an intelligence group would be interesting challenges to get stood up in timely manner. Of course this would also create a challenge for the rest of the US, as the would have to cut our military spending or spending elsewhere to offset the loss of the CA tax base.

It won't happen anyway so all this is just a bunch of silly speculation.

dtalbott likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not having to deal with CA knee jerk environmental regulations would offset some of the costs.:D

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You haven't seen Sheep's misguided salvos at water resources brought up time and time again? It's comical.
    About 10% of the managed water (roughly 50 M af) comes from the Colorado River via the Muti-state compact. Note, the river flows into California, and by Riparian rights granted in law, California has legitimate and negotiated rights. Most of the Colorado allocation to Ag actually occurs in Imperial Valley, which is situated adjacent to and within the Colorado River Watershed, and was the direct mechanism of the creation of that fertile valley's soils (note the 1906 canal blowout that formed Salton Sea). Most of the rest of the Colorado water is pushed over to the coast cities.

I'm pretty sure California would welcome a challenge in court to the use of Colorado River water. In the meantime, all you folks using the Mississippi (or any other interstate water body) for water and transport best be good neighbors.

Newsshooter likes this.