1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calexit

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There would be no loss of access. There would however be some new ports built on the Pacific coast and a new view off the shores of California that looked a lot like Destroyers and Aircraft Carriers. Nothing would get into to California. What are they going to do send Tom Cruise out in a dingy piloted by RuPaul to take on the US Navy?

California would be economically dead pretty quickly.

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yearly budgets are one thing but California does have a massive amount of debt running in the Billions some say $400 billion. I do agree peeps seem to dump on Cal as a whole based on limited info that they see. The US would take a big hit if Calexit happened but like you stated, its not going to happen. In the end Cal needs the US more than the US needs Cal.

XFBO likes this.
  3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am not sure things are as rosy as you are saying...
    http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-jerry-brown-budget-trump-risks-20170110-story.html
    http://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...400-billion-debt-worries-analysts-6812264.php

4. Venom51

badmoon692008, stk0308 and crashman like this.
  5. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

FTFY :D

6. Venom51

I guess that's better than Nancy's twat dust. :D

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I hadn't heard that it included Wash and Org. That, as they say, is a horse of a different color.

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Unfounded liabilities, being as they are in the future, are not debt. The estimates for those liabilities vary all over the map (I'd explain but you probably wouldn't understand) and --at least at the state level--changes are being put in place to address them. Pensions are not the really scary part. Just like SS/Medicare, it's the future health care costs that will bust us. And that goes for all 50, not just this one.

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Maybe you could dumb it down for us, please include why the difference between California healthcare and all the other 49 does not have any influence if these programs are going to bust the states budgets.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nothing more than an accounting technicality. You can classify long term liabilities as debt or not as debt depending on what you are looking at. It still all ads up to over $400billion that the state is responsible for. Spin it anyway you want. I'm sure you understand.

In the end, Ca still have close to $90billion in current debt and another 300 or so in unfunded long term liabilities. Not exactly the picture of financial health that you tried to paint.

11. dsapsis

There is no difference between the states; healthcare will bust us before pensions because pensions will be reduced. Its easier to give a smaller check than it is to not treat a dying person. The same modifications to the pension structure that are being suggested for Social Security can fix that problem (higher contributions, higher thresholds/lower benefits). If health care is not addressed the entire country's economy will tank well before any one state goes bankrupt. Aggregate health costs have almost doubled in the last 10 years (they were rising at a higher annual rate rate prior to ACA, but are outstripping growth by a large margin, irrespective). Like pensions, these are not sustainable. The fixes, however, are more institutionalized, and, well... likely, draconian. Interestingly, price, not utilization appears to be the problem, so maybe there is the solution. Maybe the local nurse making 200k/yr can chime in. Maybe Trump can fix them.

Back OT: there will be no secession. It's crazy talk to try to gain a political footing.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Bullshit, every state runs their healthcare plan or exchanges differently....some state don't even have exchanges. While the Obamacare provides the minimum, each state can embellish their plans as has California with Medi-Cal. According to your Gov Brown, Medi-Cal seems to have found an accounting error.

XFBO likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Haven't been out of Cali much have you? There's no difference no matter how much people want to point at things.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stupid move but not surprising. Cincy has always been goofy.

So when do they build the tunnel to Erlanger to sneak the refugees from the airport across state lines and into the city limits?

Bullshit response that means absolutely nothing to suck up to people that truly don't care.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, we're even now. :D

16. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Jerk!! :mad:

:Puke:

17. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's not dust, it's the dessicated souls of the unfortunate men who lay with her in her youth.

18. dsapsis

I misunderstood your statement. This is correct, but not what I was alluding to. All states are going to be subject to the same massive health cost liability due to demographics. If costs are not checked insurance will become untenable for all but the very wealthy; thus until the country decides to turn its back on 30% or more of its citizenry, the nut of healthcare will be the knell of the economy.
    Damn good pun if you ask me.

TXFZ1 likes this.
  19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You weren't asked :p

20. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

F@ck me! I've got the local news on mainly to see the weather forecast but the news has been dominated by the protest at Berkeley by the "tolerant" left about a right-wing speaker event for the Berkeley Republican group.

These dipshits are only tolerant if you agree with them. I can't get away from this shithole soon enough! :mad: